Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Similar, yes, but not just like it. While heavily forested, East Texas still sits within the coastal plain. It would actually look more like some of the southern parts of Georgia like Columbus, Warner Robins, or Albany.
I guess. Areas around Tyler have some pretty nice sized hills though. Actually, many parts of Tyler look like Atlanta (even with the size differences).

Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 AM

717 posts, read 892,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I guess. Areas around Tyler have some pretty nice sized hills though. Actually, many parts of Tyler look like Atlanta (even with the size differences).
It's not just the hills, but the vegetation as well. The Piedmont has different trees and forestation in general from the lowland south.

Regardless, East Texas and Houston can definitely hold their own when it comes to trees.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:36 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Similar, yes, but not just like it. While heavily forested, East Texas still sits within the coastal plain. It would actually look more like some of the southern parts of Georgia like Columbus, Warner Robins, or Albany.
WHAT?

East Texas does not sit in the coastal plains! Its a region of its own entirely. Its even divided up into its own regions of Northeast Texas, East Texas, Deep East Texas, & Southeast Texas. Where did you learn your geography?

Southeast Texas down around Beaumont is where the Piney Woods of East Texas end & the Coastal Plains begin. In Houston the imaginary cut off would be all points south of I-10.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
WHAT?

East Texas does not sit in the coastal plains! Its a region of its own entirely. Its even divided up into its own regions of Northeast Texas, East Texas, Deep East Texas, & Southeast Texas. Where did you learn your geography?

Southeast Texas down around Beaumont is where the Piney Woods of East Texas end & the Coastal Plains begin. In Houston the imaginary cut off would be all points south of I-10.
East Texas is a part of the gulf coastal plain of the US. That's not the same thing as coastal prairie.

Gulf Coastal Plain

http://www.csc.noaa.gov/beachnourishment/html/geo/images/a1f1.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Chalie Brown; 07-08-2011 at 03:33 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 02:50 PM

It sho got quiet in this thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:14 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times
People ***** and argue in this thread until they get bored. It'll be back in a few weeks. It's a cycle.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:23 PM

I was actually waiting on Matt to return. He seemed to be pretty sure of how wrong I was. Oh well.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:59 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,950,011 times
Make no mistake about it, all of East Texas sits on a coastal plain. It just doesnt look that much different than the areas around Atlanta. Pretty much all of the lower south sits on a coastal plain because most of it was once submerged in water. Which is a little inconsequential considering that the word "plains" is primarily only relevant to the elevation of a region, not its vegetation. Really, I cant even say im a fan of the peidmont region anyway though. Once you get south of Virginia (which is beautiful) it just pines and pines, and more pines with a couple of poplars thrown in here and there with rampant kudzu strung up all over them...nothing spectacular at all from what Ive seen.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Make no mistake about it, all of East Texas sits on a coastal plain. It just doesnt look that much different than the areas around Atlanta. Pretty much all of the lower south sits on a coastal plain because most of it was once submerged in water. Which is a little inconsequential considering that the word "plains" is primarily only relevant to the elevation of a region, not its vegetation. Really, I cant even say im a fan of the peidmont region anyway though. Once you get south of Virginia (which is beautiful) it just pines and pines, and more pines with a couple of poplars thrown in here and there with rampant kudzu strung up all over them...nothing spectacular at all from what Ive seen.
Well no. Like I was telling Matt before, the Piedmont region including Atlanta is far more than just pines and poplars. About half of the forestation is composed of other hardwoods like maples, oaks, ash, magnolia, elm, sweetgum, etc. These are definitely viisble in the autumn with the abundant fall foliage. And you say you've been to Georgia? Hmm.

And yes, coastal plain vegetation does differ from upland areas.

And I'm sorry, but I can't imagine anyone finding East Texas beautiful but somehow not being impressed with the Piedmont.

Last edited by Chalie Brown; 07-10-2011 at 12:38 AM..

Old 07-10-2011, 12:25 AM

113 posts, read 294,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
So true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas