Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 06:49 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Both cities have a lot of their run downed portions along I-45. I agree, South Dallas is not a safe place to be at times...I think you can make that argument for pretty much every major city in the US....though I think Dallas relatively segregates off their bad areas with freeways being boundaries...vs. a place like Detroit where one block is nice, one block is ghetto...St. Louis is similar to Detroit in that way as well.
But all cities have their moments...I can definitely pinpoint out areas in our nation's capital that I would definitely avoid. Just outside of Chinatown (which by the way is not really a Chinatown anymore in DC), you can see it turn shady rather quickly.
Oakland at times is not the safest place in the US either. East. St. Louis definitely has its moments. Bronx in NYC has developed a nice reputation for itself.

I could list pretty much all cities including smaller cities such as the Quad Cities in IA/IL, or Ft. Bend, IN, or Sioux City, IA, or Kansas City, KS, but we can play that game forever and ever.
i agree. Most big cities have their bad areas. I do wish Houston wouldn't just let parts of the city just "die" and if that's what they choose to do, cover it up.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:56 PM

26 posts, read 74,354 times
Oh well, to each his own-you guys! If we all loved the same place-we would be arguing all of the time-this is much more fun,right? Besides-JR could have lived in Murphy and worked in Dallas-superbowl maybe is in 2011(don't care-don't like the Cowboys-I was always an oiler fan), and yes, it does smell of refineries sometimes when the north/northwest wind blows toward the south.
Arlington could stand a few changes, but so could other burbs of DFW. After spending the day in Kennedale looking for granite, I wouldn't mind living in a trailer there. It is a really junky place, but I think it would be like living out in the country.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:41 AM

564 posts, read 2,045,666 times
Holy smoke this thread has gone beserk. If Houston is run down then so is Dallas. Both cities have pockets of poverty that can't be dismissed.

In Houston... it's the NE quadrant along with the far south side (Sunnysid, etc) and a small stretch of Old Third Ward.

In Dallas... it's the southern half (primarly the south-central stretch along with parts of SE Dallas and smatterings in Oak Cliff) and then there's a pocket in western Dallas.

To suggest that one city is rundown and the other isn't is to say that you aren't to be taken seriously either because you're too biased to have an honest discussion or you simply don't know anything about the other city.

And to the people who say that Houston smells... give it a rest. Stop hanging around the refineries that make up less than 1% of the city's total land area and you'll be fine. That's like me going to the western edge of Dallas and complaining about the smell of the mills coming in from nearby Grand Prairie and Fort Worth.

Sheesh.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post
Holy smoke this thread has gone beserk. If Houston is run down then so is Dallas. Both cities have pockets of poverty that can't be dismissed.

In Houston... it's the NE quadrant along with the far south side (Sunnysid, etc) and a small stretch of Old Third Ward.

In Dallas... it's the southern half (primarly the south-central stretch along with parts of SE Dallas and smatterings in Oak Cliff) and then there's a pocket in western Dallas.

To suggest that one city is rundown and the other isn't is to say that you aren't to be taken seriously either because you're too biased to have an honest discussion or you simply don't know anything about the other city.

And to the people who say that Houston smells... give it a rest. Stop hanging around the refineries that make up less than 1% of the city's total land area and you'll be fine. That's like me going to the western edge of Dallas and complaining about the smell of the mills coming in from nearby Grand Prairie and Fort Worth.

Sheesh.
Well said. Houston's refineries are all the way close to the ship channel which is at least over 20 miles from the main parts of the city.

Not to mention any names but people like Lakewooder and mamatwopugs seem like they like provoking people. Metroplex2003 is the only dallasite on this forum that i think gives fair and respectable answers without sounding like his comments are strictly based on bias.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:45 PM

8 posts, read 32,693 times
Actually, you all are coming off sounding like a bunch of grade school retards with a severe case of penis envy. (just kidding)

Comparing H to D is an exercise in futility. The only ones participating in this discussion anymore are so biased about their towns that their posts have lost all meaning. None of you are helping your cities at this point. You're only demonstrating to visitors from other parts of the nation that Texas is still full of insecure rednecks just like it has always been.

Houston and Dallas are too similar to compare. Anything that is right or wrong with one is also right or wrong with the other. Whatever differences exists are too small to have any real significance. --25 more skyscrapers, 2 more shopping malls, 60 minute traffic jams vs. 70 minute traffic jams... meaningless. - Especially to outsiders.

Texans have big egos and it's not enough to have something good, it has to be the best. But as long a H and D are running neck and neck in just about every significant catagory, there will never be a "best".

One day (in about a 50 years) the far outskirts of Houston and DFW will meet somewhere around Centerville, TX and then we will all be in the same metro area - that's the only way this thread will ever end. Galveston will be apart of Fort Worth, Plano will be apart of Sugarland, Dallas will be a coastal city, and Houston will be home to the Cowboys. Then we will all be one happy family and can pull our resources to take over the world.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

...what's that stink zone in Dallas on I-30 on the way to Arlington? It always smells like dirty panties around there...

Continue on...

Old 07-11-2007, 05:08 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Hey, Rocket City!

Old 07-11-2007, 05:18 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket City View Post
Actually, you all are coming off sounding like a bunch of grade school retards with a severe case of penis envy. (just kidding)

Comparing H to D is an exercise in futility. The only ones participating in this discussion anymore are so biased about their towns that their posts have lost all meaning. None of you are helping your cities at this point. You're only demonstrating to visitors from other parts of the nation that Texas is still full of insecure rednecks just like it has always been.

Houston and Dallas are too similar to compare. Anything that is right or wrong with one is also right or wrong with the other. Whatever differences exists are too small to have any real significance. --25 more skyscrapers, 2 more shopping malls, 60 minute traffic jams vs. 70 minute traffic jams... meaningless. - Especially to outsiders.

Texans have big egos and it's not enough to have something good, it has to be the best. But as long a H and D are running neck and neck in just about every significant catagory, there will never be a "best".

One day (in about a 50 years) the far outskirts of Houston and DFW will meet somewhere around Centerville, TX and then we will all be in the same metro area - that's the only way this thread will ever end. Galveston will be apart of Fort Worth, Plano will be apart of Sugarland, Dallas will be a coastal city, and Houston will be home to the Cowboys. Then we will all be one happy family and can pull our resources to take over the world.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

...what's that stink zone in Dallas on I-30 on the way to Arlington? It always smells like dirty panties around there...

Continue on...
That was cute, but I don't see where it got us.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:27 PM

41 posts, read 327,975 times
I am planning to relocate to somewhere in Texas. (I haven't decided where I want to be yet) I'm a NYC native and want to answer this topic so badly. But I can't because I just flew down to Dallas last week and will be taking the bus to Houston next week.

I hope Houston will wins hands down because I am not very impressed with Dallas at the moment. The city just lacks personality. It is a rather bland huge city. There is a very conservative nature about the place. Even Downtown Dallas is just bland. The city just lacks any spice and it is not captivating at all. I feel like I've tasted a bowl of soup without any seasoning salt and black pepper.

I like Fort Worth though. I think it is a rather charming and laid back city. I will keep you posted on my thoughts on Houston and will be visiting Austin later on this weekend. (I think I'm really going to like Austin, judging from my personality)

Old 07-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazymack View Post
I am planning to relocate to somewhere in Texas. (I haven't decided where I want to be yet) I'm a NYC native and want to answer this topic so badly. But I can't because I just flew down to Dallas last week and will be taking the bus to Houston next week.

I hope Houston will wins hands down because I am not very impressed with Dallas at the moment. The city just lacks personality. It is a rather bland huge city. There is a very conservative nature about the place. Even Downtown Dallas is just bland. The city just lacks any spice and it is not captivating at all. I feel like I've tasted a bowl of soup without any seasoning salt and black pepper.

I like Fort Worth though. I think it is a rather charming and laid back city. I will keep you posted on my thoughts on Houston and will be visiting Austin later on this weekend. (I think I'm really going to like Austin, judging from my personality)
Check out the main parts of Houston like downtown, TMC, Rice Area, and Uptown/Galleria area. Don't expect much in downtown Houston between 5pm and 10 pm. Hit up Main Street and march over to Bayou Place around 9:30 or 10pm. Also if you have time, take a drive down to Kemah Boardwalk. It's only about a 20 minute drive from downtown Houson straight down 45.

Me, i personally think Houston has the most character out of any Texas City (except San Antonio). Even though i'm not too big on western culture and cowboy atmosphere, i'd also say Fort Worth has alot of character . Dallas is very nice and sophisticated but the personality of the city is very business-oriented and uptight. Everyday people like myself aren't going to be seen roaming the streets of downtown Dallas because its getting to the point where it caters primarily to the rich. But please, let us know what you think of Houston and Austin.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:12 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
krazymack you need to try East Dallas/Lakewood or North Oak Cliff.

And I love giving Houstonians s***t as much as they love giving it to us. It's a Texas tradition!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas