Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has just as many high end stores as Dallas does minus a new el cheapo low quality clothes H&M store.
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:42 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
They're not letting it go. Like I said, they'll pick the opinions that suit them. Had I said that Houston had far better shopping, they would've kept their mouths shut.

I swear they embarrass Houston with such pathetic behavior. Poor kids.
Yeah, it's fun to cherry pick news articles like this Forbes one that places shopping in Houston over Dallas. Maybe I should cherry pick that new GAWC ranking that places Dallas (Alpha-) over Houston (Beta+) too.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:47 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Had I said that Houston had far better shopping,
would still be calling you out on exaggerating

Old 09-26-2011, 07:49 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Yeah, it's fun to cherry pick news articles like this Forbes one that places shopping in Houston over Dallas. Maybe I should cherry pick that new GAWC ranking that places Dallas (Alpha-) over Houston (Beta+) too.
hasn't Gawc always put DFW ahead??

nothing new, still a poorly put together ranking.

Global policy still has the best one. They skip Dallas altogether

Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has just as many high end stores as Dallas does minus a new el cheapo low quality clothes H&M store.
LMAO. I just caught this.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
would still be calling you out on exaggerating
No, you wouldn't. I'm sure not even your fellow boosters believe that BS.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:49 PM

343 posts, read 805,135 times
Quote:
No, you wouldn't. I'm sure not even your fellow boosters believe that BS.
I agree with a lot of what you have said. I dont know about other posters but I came looking for a fair and balanced debate between the two cities. If ya'll think bashing and defending your city on every single aspect is what is productive with your time, then so be it. But you are gaining no knowledge or perspective if you can't explain the positives and negatives of either side. Dallas has its homers to, but there are less and they are certaintly less vocal. These posts are quite frankly leaving a worse impression of Houston even if that was the opposite intention.

but feel free to continue these stereotypes and bashing. I will try to refrain from the conversation

Old 09-26-2011, 11:15 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Lake Conroe and Lake Houston. We don't have to build tons of fake lakes because we're located near the gulf.

Negro you from Waco, Texas. Get off Houston, Texas sour nutts... central Texas boy.....

Old 09-27-2011, 08:37 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
Both cities are good cities...Houston just seems to be the one who does not have to try hard for attention and has more stuff to do. The restaurants have more FLAVOR, and the convenience of the city makes it real nice. I like DFW because of the sport scene and its a real nice looking area.

But, Every time i go to DFW im somewhat bored..Yea it may look nice and clean there..but I dont think there is enough to do for a area with a reputation and size like that especially for the minority groups. As a college student I will say that Houston is better than Dallas as in terms of better schools, thing to do for college students and people in their early 20's to early 30's.

The lack of zoning, diversity, people, restaurants, and the beach makes Houston my best choice. Some don't like the lack of zoning and some don't care much for the beach either, but it has really benefited the city. With a city so large its convenient to have everything in different areas and have all of the major events in a central location (Innerloop). I see the beach as a get-a-way, Galveston is nice, I like the gulf coast fell it has, Kehmah is also a nice area too.

As for shopping im giving both cities a tie. Houston shopping malls are more crowded but you can get some real good deals. DFW malls just LOOK nice (that's really it, nothing to special). Each area has the same stores its really a senseless debate. Slighter edge to Houston they have a mall in Downtown.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Both cities are good cities...Houston just seems to be the one who does not have to try hard for attention and has more stuff to do. The restaurants have more FLAVOR, and the convenience of the city makes it real nice. I like DFW because of the sport scene and its a real nice looking area.

But, Every time i go to DFW im somewhat bored..Yea it may look nice and clean there..but I dont think there is enough to do for a area with a reputation and size like that especially for the minority groups.
Can't argue that.

Quote:
As for shopping im giving both cities a tie. Houston shopping malls are more crowded but you can get some real good deals. DFW malls just LOOK nice (that's really it, nothing to special). Each area has the same stores its really a senseless debate. Slighter edge to Houston they have a mall in Downtown.
But they don't, though. The biggest difference is that Dallas has a Barney's New York and recently pulled in an H&M. The former is a major department store catering to high contemporary fashion and the latter has lately become a big deal for fashionable young people in much of urban America.

Dallas has always been the city that cared more about fashion, while many Houstonians could care less, so I'm not sure why it's become such an issue that DFW would be revered as the better shopping destination.

As far as the malls go, I like Dallas' better (adding to the better shopping experience), but the crowds in Houston's malls are definitely more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas