Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I agree with a lot of this. However, when I've been in downtown Houston it felt a lot more office building oriented and less, condo/apt, mixed-use developed as what you find in downtown Dallas. I don't recall any areas of downtown Houston like the Main Street district of downtown Dallas. Perhaps, I just missed that area though.
Right!...Thats why i don't see how Houston has more people living downtown than Dallas...but oh well..moving along.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Right!...Thats why i don't see how Houston has more people living downtown than Dallas...but oh well..moving along.
Well Houston's Downtown is much bigger so I guess the population is more spread out. Plus most of the hi rise units are converted buildings/ lofts instead of new condos, so they may go unnoticed. Furthermore remember that a lot of these are mole people, using the underground labyrinths instead of surface streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
Both Dallas and Houstons have downtowns that leave something to be desired, but this seems like a neat little area. Not sure why I haven't checked it out when im in Houston
Its a cool little spot, you should check it out next trip

Old 10-17-2011, 09:37 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Man I was going back to the school from Memorial today and I noticed the same thing on I10 and N45. They are all over 610 too. I seen some U of H ones as well.
U of H is understandable since the school is actually IN Houston, but UNT and TCU are North Texas schools....

Old 10-17-2011, 09:41 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Downtown Houston is incredibly underwhelming for a city its size. Market Square is so blaaaaah. Do you have any idea how many cities far smaller than Houston have more impressive historic districts? That's sad.

... but seriously, I do acknowledge that Houston has torn down too many historic buildings. HOWEVER, Houston has at least kept that district to be a desired place away from the taller skyscrapers unlike other major cities that just completely demo damn near everything built before 1950.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I agree with a lot of this. However, when I've been in downtown Houston it felt a lot more office building oriented and less, condo/apt, mixed-use developed as what you find in downtown Dallas. I don't recall any areas of downtown Houston like the Main Street district of downtown Dallas. Perhaps, I just missed that area though.
How long ago was it?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:49 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

... but seriously, I do acknowledge that Houston has torn down too many historic buildings. HOWEVER, Houston has at least kept that district to be a desired place away from the taller skyscrapers unlike other major cities that just completely demo damn near everything built before 1950.
Lmao, is that supposed to be me?

And what other cities, though? Houston's peers seem to have done a better job of preserving their historic district. Atlanta's Fairlie-Poplar puts Market Square to utter shame.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 PM
JJG

Quote:
Lmao, is that supposed to be me?

And what other cities, though? Houston's peers seem to have done a better job of preserving their historic district. Atlanta's Fairlie-Poplar puts Market Square to utter shame.
Funny... I thought this was a thread between Dallas and Houston...

As far as historic districts in a city's downtown area, you almost never hear anything about L.A., Phoenix, Charlotte, or San Jose's downtown historic districts. But mainly because you see other cities just put new buildings right beside old ones, not really giving it a historical feel.

Now I'm NOT saying they don't have them, and neither am I saying Houston's the best. I was actually just making a comparison with Dallas.... you know, the actual focus on this thread.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:

As far as historic districts in a city's downtown area, you almost never hear anything about L.A., Phoenix, Charlotte, or San Jose's downtown historic districts. But mainly because you see other cities just put new buildings right beside old ones, not really giving it a historical feel.

Now I'm NOT saying they don't have them, and neither am I saying Houston's the best. I was actually just making a comparison with Dallas.... you know, the actual focus on this thread.
you know how it is on here, you say that you had a good slice of pie, and some one jumps in to say they have had better.

You can't give a complement on here. People will turn and twist it.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:18 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:

You brought up "other cities". All I did was give an example of an "other city".

Market Square is not impressive, compared to the historic districts of several of Houston's peer cities. That's my only point.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:29 PM
JJG

Quote:
You brought up "other cities". All I did was give an example of an "other city".

Market Square is not impressive, compared to the historic districts of several of Houston's peer cities. That's my only point.
YOU were the one who felt the need to ask "Do you have any idea how many cities far smaller than Houston have more impressive historic districts?"

I was just speaking in general as a response...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas