Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 08:07 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times

Advertisements

Exactly! People here in DFW like to think that everyone in America loves the Cowboys, so that is why the ratings are high. The reality is, about half tune in to watch the Cowboys lose (like me).

Old 08-15-2007, 08:06 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Exactly! People here in DFW like to think that everyone in America loves the Cowboys, so that is why the ratings are high. The reality is, about half tune in to watch the Cowboys lose (like me).
It's not the people in DFW. Case in point, did you watch Dallas-San Diego in San Diego in 2005? Charger fans was complaining that there was more Cowboy fans in the stadium than Charger fans. Everytime Dallas plays at Washington or New York, Cowboy fans are there in huge numbers. Same when we go to Carolina and Atlanta. LL Cool J, Jay Z, and Lebron James are all Cowboy fans. This is around America. You have Cowboy fans that's never been to Texas. Especially here in the Washington DC area.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:26 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
I'm not even a Cowboys fan but you have to admit, they've got it going on as far as championships and history. America's team? Yes, they are by far the largest grossing NFL (and probably any professional franchise) in terms of marketing (more fans than any other team). And this is coming from a Miami Dolphins fan.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:34 AM

609 posts, read 2,921,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I'm not even a Cowboys fan but you have to admit, they've got it going on as far as championships and history. America's team? Yes, they are by far the largest grossing NFL (and probably any professional franchise) in terms of marketing (more fans than any other team). And this is coming from a Miami Dolphins fan.
Agreed. In all fairness, you look at marketing studies, the Cowboys actually do have a large market share of fans that go beyond DFW.

Just like the Cubs have lots of fans outside Chicago area.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:27 PM

This was recently published in Forbes magazine:

In Pictures: America's Most Expensive Commutes - Forbes.com

Just to add to the Houston vs. dallas Commute debate

Old 08-20-2007, 04:38 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post

DART makes a big difference. This underscores the need for more public transit in Houston.

Driving is going to get really expensive if we keep seeing tropical storms and hurricanes in or around the Gulf.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post

So three extra hours for commute in Houston than Dallas. Also 20% of expenses are spent on public transportation in Houston, compared to Dallas' 19%.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
So three extra hours for commute in Houston than Dallas. Also 20% of expenses are spent on public transportation in Houston, compared to Dallas' 19%.
Didnt lay an opinion either way (lol)...but just put it out there to get a reaction

Anyway, both cities are facing huge traffic issues as they both will be adding millions of people over the next 2 decades. Development of trains and continued use of express bus/HOV lanes will be required to handle an ever growing population.

Houston and DFW in the next decades will sport a combined population of close to 20 million people
To give some persepctive to that: State of Iowa has 2.9 million people
The St. Louis MSA has 2.8 million people.

We're going to have some traffic challenges! DFW's projected average speeds on the freeway are expected to be 27 mph over the next 10-15 years.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:48 PM

If I-20 in Arlington was down to three lanes in each direction, traffic would be the worst in the Metroplex. That extra lane keeps it moving. Volume is VERY heavy though. Same thing with many Houston freeways (but traffic usually catches up).

Old 08-21-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
If I-20 in Arlington was down to three lanes in each direction, traffic would be the worst in the Metroplex. That extra lane keeps it moving. Volume is VERY heavy though. Same thing with many Houston freeways (but traffic usually catches up).
I really do feel for you...being down in Arlington. How many more years do you have left there? It seems like Arlington is always making the news (but in the wrong way) with the exception of the Cowboys new stadium.

Well, I did check out that I-20 cooridor...though they have some new developments...it still seemed a bit old in the surrounding areas. I do think Mansfield has lots of nice "smart growth" potential.

I think Arlington needs to expand their public transportation...either join DART, or join Ft. Worth's new light rail line. Yes, they have limited bus service to Ft. worth, but seriously, one TRE station stop at Hurst Bell or DFW airport is not going to do a whole lot, and being the 49th largest city in the US without a major public transportation system is quite asinine to me. I do know of my work colleagues who actually do take the TRE in to work everyday from Arlington onto the Dallas side. However, they have to catch the TRE at one of the nearby suburbs...either Irving or Hurst. There is a market for public transportation there.
Now to all the Arlington citizens who talk a/b preventing "riff raff" from coming into their city, I point out that crime is probably just as high if not higher in some parts of Arlington. And secondly, if you look at all the cities who have participated in DART/TRE/T, there have been minimal regrets and more praise if anything.
I just feel that with as many people as there are in Arlington, which is generally a commuter city to either Dallas, Las Colinas, Ft. Worth, Tollway, Richardson/Plano, that it would be useful to partipate more in our regional transportation network. They should at minimum work with Ft. Worth to get them to send a light rail over to Arlington, or work with TRE to make an additional stop in North Arlington.

Anyway, do you have a map of Houston's future expansion plans for rail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas