Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 03:52 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,218,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Disagree completely. Driving around Highland Park you get the vibe way more than Bellaire and Westheimer.. I don't see what size has to do with it. We're talking about the culture of two cities. Houston's personality is totally different -- much more southern and gulf coast. Not to mention, the diversity of Houston and Dallas are almost identical. You keep pretending that Dallas is this whitebread city that is 90%+ white. That is hardly the case, and you know it.

And how does Dallas pretend to copy the ALTITUDE????? LOL, I would LOVE to hear this.
I didn't experience the diversity compared to Houston as you say in Dallas. I feel Houston is more diverse. Besides the given White, Latino and Black population, I feel Houston as a much larger Asian community. In addition, Houston also has huge Indian, Persian and Arab populations. Houston also has a sizable Native African community. Dallas was more of representative of cities like San Antonio as far as diversity.

The California Vibe I got from Dallas was at places like Northpark Center and Uptown..it just reminded me of L.A.

All in all, I liked Dallas and look forward to hanging out with my friends who live in Dallas.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:53 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,042,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
How have you not heard that before, when Houston is larger than Dallas. I think it was Htownlove that did this, but Houston fits more people into a smaller area than Dallas does, so the city limit size thing is irrelevant. Especially considering the fact that the City of Houston is still denser than the City of Dallas. DFW as a whole may be larger than Houston metro, but we're talking two big cities versus one major city, so the difference is noticeable. One surely feels larger than the other...
You Houstonians sure like to make statements that aren't backed by evidence. Here's a statement that is backed by the statistics on this very site, Dallas has a population density of 3794 people per square mile while Houston's is 3897. I guess technically you're right, Houston is more dense, but upon seeing by how much, I couldn't help but chuckle at your post.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:58 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,218,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
You Houstonians sure like to make statements that aren't backed by evidence. Here's a statement that is backed by the statistics on this very site, Dallas has a population density of 3794 people per square mile while Houston's is 3897. I guess technically you're right, Houston is more dense, but upon seeing by how much, I couldn't help but chuckle at your post.
I noticed right away that Dallas felt smaller. Houston is way bigger that Dallas.

Now you want to talk Metro Areas, ok..You have Ft. Worth next door. Even then, your metro area is barely bigger than Houston's.

I can't see Dallasites trying to convince us that they are somehow bigger. Technically, San Antonio is bigger than Dallas, too.

It's not the size that counts anyway. It's the quality of the city. And I think Dallas is a great city overall.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I noticed right away that Dallas felt smaller. Houston is way bigger that Dallas.
The post I replied to didn't say Houston was bigger, or at least that wasn't the part I was disagreeing with. I agree that Houston is a lot larger, both in population and area, and it's almost exactly the same difference so the population densities are virtually identical. I was disagreeing about Houston being more dense. Of course evidence clearly means nothing to posters in this thread and I can't wait to see how they respond.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:18 AM

Also, I don't have much of a dog in this fight. I haven't been living in Dallas for long and have nothing against Houston. In fact, I only moved to Dallas because it was closer and would've moved to Houston if it had been the closer city. Houston has more jobs in my field anyway. I do have pride in my new city though and will call out people's bull****.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:38 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,151,146 times
If I had to choose which city Dallas resembles that city would be Chicago, I know some will disagree but thats the vibe I get when I'm in Dallas and Houston does resemble parts of LA, Miami, and a slice of New Orleans as someone stated.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,877,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Chuckle all you want, but Houston has about 600 square miles of land and is still denser than Dallas. And did you see Htownlove's post on the last page? There really is no comparison as to which metro area has a more consistent density than the other...it's Houston. DFW as a whole is pretty fractured on the density thing, unlike Houston. Where are those colored maps that showed density?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,598,352 times
Quote:
Chuckle all you want, but Houston has about 600 square miles of land and is still denser than Dallas. And did you see Htownlove's post on the last page? There really is no comparison as to which metro area has a more consistent density than the other...it's Houston. DFW as a whole is pretty fractured on the density thing, unlike Houston. Where are those colored maps that showed density?
The difference in density is negligible. It's like me making fun of someone who made a 94 on a test because I made a 95. Get real.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:33 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,877,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
The difference in density is negligible. It's like me making fun of someone who made a 94 on a test because I made a 95. Get real.
Overall yes, but when you dig deeper and actual analyze, its not even close. Again, one main city versus two. Houston is more built up. Being as real as I can be.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,598,352 times
Quote:
Overall yes, but when you dig deeper and actual analyze, its not even close. Again, one main city versus two. Houston is more built up. Being as real as I can be.
I'm not sure what you are referring to. I'm strictly talking about Houston proper versus Dallas proper. Their densities are nearly identical. That's it. Case closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas