Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 PM

343 posts, read 804,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
In other sombering news, Dallas County leads the state in number of new HIV infections among AA's.

HIV on the rise among Dallas African American women | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth
Matt, this is horrible and unnecessary. We were simply celebrating Dallas's African American population increase (not even for the sake of competing against Houston) and you had to throw this in here? Really low blow.

I am happy both areas are solaces for the African American community, especially for the many educated and hardworking individuals looking for better lives in the two areas.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
Matt, this is horrible and unnecessary. We were simply celebrating Dallas's African American population increase (not even for the sake of competing against Houston) and you had to throw this in here? Really low blow.

I am happy both areas are solaces for the African American community, especially for the many educated and hardworking individuals looking for better lives in the two areas.
Yes it is horrible, but not unnecessary.

HIV/AID's is a 99.999% preventable disease.

There are nearly 2.4 million people living in Dallas County making it the states 2nd largest after Harris County with 3.9 million. Why is it that Dallas County has a higher rate of the disease among its younger AA population, especially women?

This will be interesting to hear.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
+1

You took the words right out of my mouth.

As raucous as this thread can get, the comparisons have always been mostly focused on the merits of each city. I guess after 600 pages, there's nothing left but to see which city can "out negative" the other. Sad.

Last edited by Acntx; 03-04-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 03-04-2012, 09:23 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times
Quote:
In other sombering news, Dallas County leads the state in number of new HIV infections among AA's.

HIV on the rise among Dallas African American women | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth
I think you mean sobering. If somber was a verb, it would probably mean put to sleep.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
Quote:
Why, because I read the news?

AID's a totally preventable disease unless you're born with it like this little girl was & even then it is a manageable one much like diabetes. This was never possible 15-20 years ago. The AA youth community obviously needs furthering education on the spread of HIV if it is becoming an epidemic in Dallas County like the article states.
Yes, knowledge plus awareness of HIV/AIDS equals prevention.

With that said, it's not the subject, it's context in which you brought it up.

I'm not buying your disingenuous attempt to act like a concerned samaritan either. As another poster commented, it was a low blow.

In this thread, there are posters supporting each side who half-way joke and prod each other over various topics. Most of the time it remains as good-natured banter then everyone moves along to the next topic.

With you, there's something malicious and insidious about many of your posts addressing the Dallas/DFW area. It's unlike any other poster I've come across.

What in the world could a city and metro area have done to you to affect your psyche so radically? Did some guy from Dallas, steal your girlfriend, steal your lunch money, whip your a**? I mean, really dude???

Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post

What in the world could a city and metro area have done to you to affect your psyche so radically? Did some guy from Dallas, steal your girlfriend, steal your lunch money, whip your a**? I mean, really dude???
Honestly, this is what I've been wondering. I can understanding not liking a city, but Matt has been pretty unrelenting, when it comes to putting down Dallas.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:16 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Honestly, this is what I've been wondering. I can understanding not liking a city, but Matt has been pretty unrelenting, when it comes to putting down Dallas.
Oh Dallas is delightful!

Houston is just better in every way, shape, & form.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
I like Dallas alot actually. It seems like the ritzy and probably romantic of the two, but I still feel it lacks character. I think Dallas focuses on "looks" and not to stab at Dallas, but i think looks and glitz is really the only character it has. It does cool little lighting structures, shiney new buildings, cool trenching freeways and stuff. Other than that, it just feels more like a large community with some nice shopping malls. I'm sorry, that's the "feel" I got in Dallas.

Houston, on the other hand, may not be as good looking or well kept city as Dallas. And as large as Houston is, it makes it hard to get an overall feel for the area when compared to most major cities. But when it comes to comparing it to Dallas, Houston clearly comes out the winner (character wise). Dallas is definitely overall cleaner and neater than Houston, but Houston has a mix of everything: old, grit, new, international, eclectic (Montrose), and ritzy. Although Houston's ritzy is not on the same concentration as Dallas, it beats it out in most other categories. People rag on the beach, but its definitely serves as an alternative rather than looking at the same landscape everyday. It is definitely the closest to a "real" city that Texas has.

stoneclaw/C2H(ComingtoHouston)

Old 03-05-2012, 02:56 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I like Dallas alot actually. It seems like the ritzy and probably romantic of the two, but I still feel it lacks character. I think Dallas focuses on "looks" and not to stab at Dallas, but i think looks and glitz is really the only character it has. It does cool little lighting structures, shiney new buildings, cool trenching freeways and stuff. Other than that, it just feels more like a large community with some nice shopping malls. I'm sorry, that's the "feel" I got in Dallas.

Houston, on the other hand, may not be as good looking or well kept city as Dallas. And as large as Houston is, it makes it hard to get an overall feel for the area when compared to most major cities. But when it comes to comparing it to Dallas, Houston clearly comes out the winner (character wise). Dallas is definitely overall cleaner and neater than Houston, but Houston has a mix of everything: old, grit, new, international, eclectic (Montrose), and ritzy. Although Houston's ritzy is not on the same concentration as Dallas, it beats it out in most other categories. People rag on the beach, but its definitely serves as an alternative rather than looking at the same landscape everyday. It is definitely the closest to a "real" city that Texas has.

stoneclaw/C2H(ComingtoHouston)
I never understand how people can say Dallas is not a "REAL" city...thats just going overboard to me

Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Dallas is just as real as Houston. Please dont go northeastern snobbish on us, stoneclaw. Also, honestly, the only glitzy and ritzy part of Dallas is uptown and downtown to an extent. The rest of the city, hardly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas