Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 02:23 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I would say Tampa/St. Pete is major. It's population is over 4 million, I believe. How about Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? How about Seattle/Tacoma. Isn't their airport, SeaTac? All major and all over 4 million.
I only really consider the Bay Area major. Twin Cities because of all its economy versus olaces like Tampa Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Don't forget Washington, D.C./Baltimore. That's a big one!

Pooooooooor D.C.! Don't even have an NFL team. Landover, Maryland does! (snicker)

I wonder why D.C. let's the suburbs steal their glory!
Washington and Baltimore are not in the same metro.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Don't forget Washington, D.C./Baltimore. That's a big one!

Pooooooooor D.C.! Don't even have an NFL team. Landover, Maryland does! (snicker)

I wonder why D.C. let's the suburbs steal their glory!
DC is much stronger than its burbs. look at the office space in DC proper and in the burbs. compare than to Dallas and its burbs

659 posts, read 1,376,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Where would Houston be without "Stinkadena"?
It's more like, "where would the United States be without Stinkadena?" Surely, you're aware that it's probably the most imporant city in Texas. Without it the country would simply grind to a halt. Print it!

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
insult?. Have you lost your spectacles?? I said there is nothing wrong with being a tag team? how is that an insult???

It's not an insult. It's an insult when certain posters (not saying you) say Dallas needs Fort Worth as a crutch to be relevant in this state.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post

Washington and Baltimore are not in the same metro.
Yes, they very much are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimo...ropolitan_Area

Quote:
DC is much stronger than its burbs. look at the office space in DC proper and in the burbs. compare than to Dallas and its burbs

Which Dallas suburb even has close to the amount of power and pull as Dallas proper? Which suburb has urban development or a downtown? I'll admit that the populations of some of these suburbs are way too large and out of control, but it's pure suburban development from one end to the other. No one single suburb has close to offering what Dallas does in history, culture, money, influence, or jobs. But, yes, they are large and uppity. I'll give you that.

Last edited by ClarenceBodiker; 03-07-2012 at 02:45 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times
Quote:
insult?. Have you lost your spectacles?? I said there is nothing wrong with being a tag team? how is that an insult???
I saw where you said that, and I also saw repeated statements from the Houston crowd here that Dallas wouldn't be what it is today without Fort Worth and that Fort Worth should secede (as if that wouldn't hurt them any, if it was even possible).

Quote:
Key word being major. Only the Bay Area fits that. Twin Cities are on the boundary.
Major is subjective, and what does it matter if they're major cities or not? How do minor cities benefit from having siblings but major cities don't?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Yes, they very much are.

Which Dallas suburb even has close to the amount of power and pull as Dallas proper? Which suburb has urban development or a downtown? I'll admit that the populations of some of these suburbs are way too large and out of control, but it's pure suburban development from one end to the other. No one single suburb has close to offering what Dallas does in history, culture, money, influence, or jobs. But, yes, they are large and uppity. I'll give you that.
Didn't say they have the same pull as Dallas, collectively they are really powerful burbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I saw where you said that, and I also saw repeated statements from the Houston crowd here that Dallas wouldn't be what it is today without Fort Worth and that Fort Worth should secede (as if that wouldn't hurt them any, if it was even possible).
Its true though. Dallas grew as part of a region. The part of the region is hard to get around.

multiple parts of the US developed as a region and would not be the same if it wasn't for the regional pull. Look at ATL. The choices were to center the regional airport in ATL or Birmingham. ATL was chosen, and see how ATL left Birmingham in the dust after that, Look at the Bay, look at Seattle, look at Denver.

dunno why so many take it as an insult.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:46 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Yes, they very much are.

No they are not. Washington and Baltimore are two separate metros that just happen to be close to each other. And not Dallas and Fort Worth close, but Chicago and Milwaukee close. There is no reason for anyone in Washington to go to Baltimore ans the othet way around, too.

And I believe Irving and Plano have some pretty big urban development areas.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
No they are not. Washington and Baltimore are two separate metros that just happen to be close to each other. And not Dallas and Fort Worth close, but Chicago and Milwaukee close. There is no reason for anyone in Washington to go to Baltimore ans the othet way around, too.

You might want to double check your facts. Dallas and Fort Worth are 36 miles apart. D.C. and Baltimore are 39 miles apart. Chicago and Milwaukee are 92 miles apart. The difference between DFW and Baltimore/D.C. is 4 miles.

D.C. and Baltimore are two cities in close proximity with a ton of suburbs in and around them. People live in Washington or its suburbs and work in Baltimore and vice versa. There is rail and transit that connects the two. Here is a link I edited into my last post:

Baltimore

My company is headquartered in a suburb of D.C. and people who work there live all over the metro area, just like people do here in North Texas.

Quote:
And I believe Irving and Plano have some pretty big urban development areas.
Plano and Irving have some big office parks. I wouldn't call Legacy or Las Colinas urban.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times
Quote:
dunno why so many take it as an insult.
Because it's stated as an insult. As was just mentioned, Fort Worth was described as our "crutch". It's basically saying we have an unfair advantage. It's about like if we said Houston has an unfair advantage in its sea port or the oil industry or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas