Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 12:33 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Honestly is does not offer more. For one, DFW is surrounded by land. Greater Houston has water all around it.

This right here is advantage economically and entertainment wise. These is so much you can do living by the coast regardless how horrible some say the water is.

I'm surrounded by water, too. White Rock Lake to the west of me, Lake Ray Hubbard to the east of me, Lake Dallas to the north of me, Lake Grapevine northwest of me, Joe Pool Lake to the southwest of me.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:59 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippybarber View Post
From a point of view looking inside and out or outside in you can see that the metroplex of DFW is growing superior. Amusement park is one thing but you can go all day about restaurants, entertainment, and attractions that edge is in DFW. Really as an economic powerhouse I give Houston it's props "sorry if I didn't" Both Metro's stand great on that but in my opinion "which is fact in my head" lol I give the edge to DFW especially for not being rivals and realizing that they can work together. Kind of like how New York can place "New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania in one metroplex??? Why doesn't anyone complain about that? hahahaha oh yeah because they all work together! Again I'm all for Houston if that makes since but DFW in my opinion is Greater in an overall packaged Metro. No Disrespect
And no disrespect to you, but you still haven't told me anything on how. Yes, Dallas knows how to market and package itself better but that doesn't mean that more is offered or found in the metro area. But i'm glad that in this post, you did have the where-with-all to say that it is strictly your opinion... regardless of you telling me how you feel that way, but i respect it as your opinion nonetheless.

stoneclaw/C2H(ComingtoHouston)

Old 03-08-2012, 01:08 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Honestly is does not offer more. For one, DFW is surrounded by land. Greater Houston has water all around it.
I didn't realize Houston is on an island.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:26 PM

469 posts, read 886,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
And no disrespect to you, but you still haven't told me anything on how. Yes, Dallas knows how to market and package itself better but that doesn't mean that more is offered or found in the metro area. But i'm glad that in this post, you did have the where-with-all to say that it is strictly your opinion... regardless of you telling me how you feel that way, but i respect it as your opinion nonetheless.

stoneclaw/C2H(ComingtoHouston)
Well what NHL team can you watch in Houston?

Old 03-08-2012, 01:33 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
While that is an interesting bit of history, the worlds first artificial heart pump invented by world reknown cardiac surgeon Dr. DeBakey & silicone breast implant was invented in Houston. We all know how many flat chested Dallas women there would be if it weren't for Houston.
Considering the breast implant was invented in Houston, that says more about the women down there than in Dallas... DUH

Old 03-08-2012, 01:38 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippybarber View Post
lol these comments are funny...
Ft worth wouldn't be anything without Dallas and Dallas wouldn't be anything without Ft Worth both bring business to the table!

Houston wouldn't be as big if it didn't annex, therefore the metroplex is great, and so is DFW metroplex
San Antonio is larger because of it's location and because of it's ability to annex as well.
Dallas doesn't need more land just a change of identity, to show people they don't have to move to the burbs and Dallas takes care of there burbs and DFW all work together but people see nice stuff and tend to settle and go to the CITY every now and then. So Dallas is Trying to fix that part that use to be nice "Oakcliff" "West Dallas" and Show the Real Dallas. It's been long enough that they have given the burbs their shine so now it's time to take some back. If you wanna talk about why the Rangers decided to go to Arlington is because they wanted to give the benefit of people from both FT worth and Dallas, suburbs as well to have that one Team "Rangers" look it up if you don't believe. "Sorry I don't have the link"

Houston is great Hold on hold on Houston's Metro because that's what it comes to Honestly. It's great but Honestly DFW has more to offer in General.
don't be silly. when Texas annexation law changed Dallas And FW were very similar in size. I think they were only separated by 20K. So Dallas and FW were always sister cities.

Houston grew up by itself. Without a crutch

And don't be silly. DFW doesn't even match up to what Houston has to offer let alone to have more to offer?? So silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
Well what NHL team can you watch in Houston?
Don't be silly. No one watches NHL.
It is less popular than MLS

Last edited by HtownLove; 03-08-2012 at 01:52 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM

328 posts, read 471,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
don't be silly. when Texas annexation law changed Dallas And FW were very similar in size. I think they were only separated by 20K. So Dallas and FW were always sister cities.

And don't be silly. DFW doesn't even match up to what Houston has to offer let alone to have more to offer?? So silly.
Don't be silly. No one watches NFL.

WHAT?

I assume you mean the NHL. So if you don't care about it, it doesn't matter? What a provincial attitude. Get around much?

Honestly, every one of your posts should include "IMO" because that's all they are. Opinions. Voicing opinions a million times doesn't make them facts. They're still just one person's opinion.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:53 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post

WHAT?

I assume you mean the NHL.
opps. yeah I meant NHL. NO one watches that ****

and stop being silly. you know no one watches NHL. my posts are pure facts. but you Dallas people have problems with facts. grow up kid

Old 03-08-2012, 01:59 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times
Quote:
and stop being silly. you know no one watches NHL.
No one in Houston does...

Old 03-08-2012, 01:59 PM

328 posts, read 471,337 times
Quote:

There's been a lot of "what if" posts, for which I usually don't care, but...

It's well known that Galveston was the star of Texas in the late 19th century.

At the end of the 19th century, the city of Galveston had a population of 37,000. Its position on the natural harbor of Galveston Bay along the Gulf of Mexico made it the center of trade in Texas, and one of the largest cotton ports in the nation, in competition with New Orleans.[17] During this golden era of Galveston's history, the city was home to a number of state firsts that include among others the first post office (1836), the first naval base (1836), the first Texas chapter of a Masonic order (1840); the first cotton compress (1842), the first parochial school (Ursuline Academy) (1847), the first insurance company (1854), the first gas lights (1856), the first opera house (1870), the first orphanage (1876), the first telephone (1878) and the first electric lights (1883).[12][18]

Galveston, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was the destruction of Galveston by the great hurricane of 1900 that propelled Houston to its eventual status. Had the hurricane not happened, Galveston would have arguably continued to grow as one of the largest and wealthiest cities in Texas, well eclipsing Houston.

By sad twist of fate Houston prospered, by default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas