Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 03:56 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
"Us"? I doubt "you" had anything to do with it.

How do you know I'm not in the Hunt family?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:01 PM

200 posts, read 294,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Good lord, I'm LOLing at the fact that some of you think Houston stole an NFL franchise from us. Anyone that has watched a season of NFL in their life would know that the Dallas Texans are now the Kansas City Chiefs and have been forever. The fact that their throwback uniforms have the state of Texas on the helmet should have tipped you off. All you did is copy Dallas and steal our former mascot.

And I agree that the fan support for the NHL is not strong enough in the south for two Texas teams. Still doesn't change the fact that they moved the one and only NHL franchise in Texas to Dallas. And that's because Dallas is clearly the superior sports town of the two cities. It's why we are one of five cities in the country to have our own dedicated ESPN regional website and reporters.

Let's also not forget the history of MLS soccer. It was the Hunt family of Dallas that helped even get MLS off the ground and rolling. So without us, you wouldn't have a reason to build that pretty new Dynamo Stadium.

Last but not least --

Dallas Cowboys: 5 championships
Dallas Stars: 1 championship
Dallas Mavericks: 1 championship

vs.

Houston Rockets: 2 championships
Houston Dynamo: 2 championships

Game over. Hope this helps.
I'm pretty sure a professional soccer league was coming regardless of whether Hunt had a huge role or not. One of the conditions for hosting the 1994 World Cup was that the MLS had to be established. To me at least, it was just a matter of time before soccer found its place in US sports again, which has led to a formation of a domestic league and spiked interest in international soccer tournaments.

As a Houstonian though, there really is no point in debating which one metro is better known as a sports town. Dallas despite its terrible venue locations still has more championships, more teams, the Dallas Cowboys, Red River Shootout, and so on. Dallas excels in sports along with things like shopping while Houston excels in things such as the arts and culinary scene.

Last edited by Fairlady Z; 04-18-2012 at 04:17 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
I'm pretty sure a professional soccer league was coming regardless of whether Hunt had a huge role or not. One of the conditions for hosting the 1994 World Cup was that the MLS had to be established. To me at least, it was just a matter of time before soccer found its place in US sports again, which has led to a formation of a domestic league and spiked interest in international soccer tournaments.

Oh, I'm sure that's true, but I'm not going to let that stop me from getting a chance to rub something in Houston's face here. Sports are one of the few things we can say we are clear-cut better than Houston at with little debate.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:16 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Who's still wearing that?
I have actually been seeing it a lot lately. The people who are wearing them are too young to know the team though.

I have also been seeing people wearing stuff with the old Astros logo.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:22 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm sure that's true, but I'm not going to let that stop me from getting a chance to rub something in Houston's face here. Sports are one of the few things we can say we are clear-cut better than Houston at with little debate.
Maybe if you look SOME of the past history of those sports teams, or the number of championships. If you look at the current teams, they are pretty even. DFW sports radio is better than Houston sports radio though. Ben and Skin, plus Galloway are good listens for any sports fan.

Last edited by Trae713; 04-18-2012 at 04:54 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 04:32 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I have actually been seeing it a lot lately. The people who are wearing them are too young to know the team though.

I have also been seeing people wearing stuff with the old Astros logo.
I've seen the caps, but no one I'm around is wearing jerseys. I haven't worn one since like '03. There's nothing fashionable about those things.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:29 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Six Flags > Astroworld...

Old 04-18-2012, 07:18 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent Minded View Post
Hockey is garbage? Yeah, that's only why it's an olympic sport as well as a multi billion dollar professional sport. That's why there is channels dedicated to it. Pathetic homers. Sorry that Houston hasn't reached the level to have a professional sports team in all sports.
Homer? Wrong. Yes, it's garbage.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:38 PM

122 posts, read 222,372 times
Quote:
How do you know I'm not in the Hunt family?
Because you wouldn't be on here...you'd be out spending that cash!! (or I would hope you would be!)

Old 04-18-2012, 07:39 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Six Flags > Astroworld...
Kind of a lowblow seeing how there is no more Astroworld.

But Houston/Galveston are getting TWO theme parks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas