Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 05:14 PM

965 posts, read 1,885,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I've said this about Dallas in another thread and the Black Dallasites got offended
The truth hurts, that's why. People got mad at me too. Oh well.I know I ruffled feathers when I said that the black community in Dallas felt like it was in a mental and cultural time warp in many ways, but that is a part of the culture of the region (the whole swath from St. Louis to Kansas City on through to Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Memphis). Houston is a part of a different cultural region.

Quote:
Most of the Black middle class here in DFW recently moved here from somewhere else; Unlike Houston which has always had a larger Black middle/upper class. This is the reason why Houston is viewed statewide as the cultural capital for Black Texans.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
I agree with the fact that Dallas does not have mutiple black colleges...but this is not entirely bad....I do believe the reason the article "Rode Atlanta's Nuts" is because they do have a larger percentage of blacks compared to most Large cities....This is what caused it to become a black college mecca.Black Colleges promote and enhance the black community..With that being said... the more you have in the city the more recognized the city will become for its black community. Atlanta has more black colleges than anywhere....and on top of that they are all in one cluster creating an even more distinguished neighborhood of black education which translate to"professional blacks".

Houston has two black colleges....(popular ones too)so they will always seem ahead of Dallas in the black community department because most black kids that move to Houston to go to T.S.U and P.V. more than likely will associate their black college experiences and memories with Houston giving it a concentrated black vibe.
In Dallas we only have 1/2 of a thought of a Black college....so the black experience is scarce...But like i said earlier...this is not all bad because in dallas the black students just go to school with everybody else which to me is a far more useful experience beacuse that prepares students for the real world...Most companies look over HBCU degrees anyway...especially if they see a resume' from S.M.U or Rice right next to it.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
The truth hurts, that's why. People got mad at me too. Oh well.I know I ruffled feathers when I said that the black community in Dallas felt like it was in a mental and cultural time warp in many ways, but that is a part of the culture of the region (the whole swath from St. Louis to Kansas City on through to Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Memphis). Houston is a part of a different cultural region.

The article was very informative. So what are your suggestions to get things turned around in the DFW area to break the perception?

Old 04-21-2012, 12:01 AM

328 posts, read 471,479 times
Quote:
I thought this was an interesting article:

D Magazine : Why Young Black Professionals Are Wary of Dallas

This article proves why Houston is the superior city in Texas for black professionals who have to move to Texas because it's a much more accepting city for people of all backgrounds. From my experience living there in the past, black professionals in Dallas are seen as being "uppity" by the natives and many of the transplants.
"This article proves..."
"Uppity"
"Superior city"

What trite nonsense. Search for "uppity" in the article. Not found. Houston homerism at its finest, as per usual. Do you guys know how to separate fact from opinion?

Here is a quote from the article:
"Dallas ranked second nationally for overall black population gain between 2000 and 2010, which included migration and local births."

Here is yet another poll of most popular American cities. Dallas tops Houston, as expected:
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p..._US_042012.pdf

57% of American voters see Seattle favorably and only 14% unfavorably, edging out Portland (52-12) by three points on the margin. The most unpopular is Detroit, which only 22% see positively and 49% negatively. Americans have net-negative impressions of only two other of these cities: Oakland, CA (21-39) and Los Angeles (33-40). Between the pack are Boston (52-17), Atlanta (51-19), Phoenix (49-18), Dallas (48-21), New York (49-23), New Orleans (47-24), Houston (45-22), Salt Lake City (43-20), Philadelphia (42-22), San Francisco (48-29), Baltimore (37-24), Las Vegas (43-33), Chicago (42-33), Cleveland (32-25), Washington, D.C. (44-39), and Miami (36-33).

BTW, DFW is in better shape economically than Atlanta right now, especially in housing. I don't think Atlanta has ever come up in conversation among my circle of friends and co-workers.

Can't wait for the Dallas reboot on TNT this summer. Should be fun.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:39 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
"This article proves..."
"Uppity"
"Superior city"

What trite nonsense. Search for "uppity" in the article. Not found. Houston homerism at its finest, as per usual. Do you guys know how to separate fact from opinion?

Here is a quote from the article:
"Dallas ranked second nationally for overall black population gain between 2000 and 2010, which included migration and local births."

Here is yet another poll of most popular American cities. Dallas tops Houston, as expected:
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p..._US_042012.pdf

57% of American voters see Seattle favorably and only 14% unfavorably, edging out Portland (52-12) by three points on the margin. The most unpopular is Detroit, which only 22% see positively and 49% negatively. Americans have net-negative impressions of only two other of these cities: Oakland, CA (21-39) and Los Angeles (33-40). Between the pack are Boston (52-17), Atlanta (51-19), Phoenix (49-18), Dallas (48-21), New York (49-23), New Orleans (47-24), Houston (45-22), Salt Lake City (43-20), Philadelphia (42-22), San Francisco (48-29), Baltimore (37-24), Las Vegas (43-33), Chicago (42-33), Cleveland (32-25), Washington, D.C. (44-39), and Miami (36-33).

BTW, DFW is in better shape economically than Atlanta right now, especially in housing. I don't think Atlanta has ever come up in conversation among my circle of friends and co-workers.

Can't wait for the Dallas reboot on TNT this summer. Should be fun.
Overcooked Oatmeal isn't a Houstonian.

The article was pretty much dead on.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:08 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
So we're doing our blacks are better than your blacks now?

Holy hell. I'm not going to say that Dallas has a bigger or better black professional culture than Houston. I'll give Houston that edge. But I'm not going to sit here and listen to these nonsense implications that Dallas is a bad place for black people or that they're mistreated here or are inferior to the black people in Houston. And regardless of the fact that the article is right that there is a bigger black professional culture in Houston and Atlanta, not once does the article say anything about Dallas being "uppity" or that black people shouldn't move to Dallas or can't make it in Dallas. So, yes, at least to some extent, OO is full of it. That article doesn't prove any point she or the Houstonians are trying to make.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:22 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
So we're doing our blacks are better than your blacks now?

Holy hell. I'm not going to say that Dallas has a bigger or better black professional culture than Houston. I'll give Houston that edge. But I'm not going to sit here and listen to these nonsense implications that Dallas is a bad place for black people or that they're mistreated here or are inferior to the black people in Houston. And regardless of the fact that the article is right that there is a bigger black professional culture in Houston and Atlanta, not once does the article say anything about Dallas being "uppity" or that black people shouldn't move to Dallas or can't make it in Dallas. So, yes, at least to some extent, OO is full of it. That article doesn't prove any point she or the Houstonians are trying to make.
Read her post again. She never said Dallas was uppity, but she was saying that's how black professionals are sometimes perceived by the (presumably lower class) natives of Dallas. I can't personally provide any personal experience on that.

And what other Houstonians? I'm the only one here and I haven't said anything the article didn't.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:52 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
HousonTXMetro's post is the one I was specifically thinking of. My bad if I read anything more into anyone else's post. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but it feels like this is going in the same direction and implying the same things that I've seen mentioned multiple times on this board and others in the past, mainly coming up during the trash talking between Dallas and Houston, and that is that black people in Dallas are inferior to those in Houston and other cities. That just rubs me the wrong way.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:42 AM

405 posts, read 822,739 times
Quote:
I thought this was an interesting article:

D Magazine : Why Young Black Professionals Are Wary of Dallas

This article proves why Houston is the superior city in Texas for black professionals who have to move to Texas because it's a much more accepting city for people of all backgrounds. From my experience living there in the past, black professionals in Dallas are seen as being "uppity" by the natives and many of the transplants.
See, I disagree with that article. I've met and know plenty of Black professionals in Dallas and we've never had any problem finding each other. I also have never experienced any racial tension in Dallas between black and whites. This article makes Dallas sound like a backwards, Jim Crow town that is stuck in the old South (like Memphis), which it most certainly is not. It also uses Atlanta as a measuring stick, which is unfair because many Black people in Atlanta these days are leaving because they realize Atlanta has become extremely over saturated, large Black professional population or not.

Moreover, ATL has more than its fair share of ghetto, uneducated Black folks who moved to ATL and helped flood and over saturate ATL on the coattails of its many Black professionals. With that being said, Dallas seems to be the big Texas city that's now attracting most of the Black professionals who are leaving Atlanta to escape its over saturation and it's large ghetto element, and Houston seems to be the new Black Mecca for the other segment of Blacks in ATL and other places around the country who are hood, uneducated, and are just looking for the next big "it" city for Black folks to party in without really contributing much if anything to the local community. That's the type of element that educated Black professionals try to avoid, and Dallas seems more like the city to do that now than Houston.

I am Black by the way before anybody tries to get offended/report me as racist.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 AM

405 posts, read 822,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
the article "Rode Atlanta's Nuts" is because they do have a larger percentage of blacks compared to most Large cities.
LOL, the article most definitely rode ATL's nuts, which is what makes it such a joke and what immediately notifies you that it's an article that should not be taken seriously. Why? Because if ATL is the city the writer wants to hold on a pedestal as the undisputed "Black Mecca', then he or she is at least 3 or 4 years too late. Atlanta has "maxed out" and many of its Black professionals and those who would have chosen Atlanta 5 or more years ago are simply choosing to go other places now that that has become apparent, and Dallas is getting a large percentage of those Black professionals now while Houston---which statistically gets more Black people in general because it's bigger---seems to be attracting more Black trash than Black professionals. Also, speaking of Black trash, I get so tired of people acting like Atlanta is full of only educated professional Black people when they have just as many T.I.s and Tinys running around as they do Cliff and Claire Huxtables. The Cliff and Claire Huxtables seem to be slowly relocating to the DFW area while the T.I.s and Tinys seem to be making Houston their new hotbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas