Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 09:35 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times

Advertisements

I hate it when people get the Idea that Dallas is a Hick town with Republicans enforcing Christian Values.
Dallas is really starting to see an Influx of Asians and Latin Americans, they asians however tend to reside in Irving, Garland, Richardson, Plano, Carrollton, Coppell, and Arlington. If you ask me the place is really starting to 'liberal-ify' which is good and bad.
Dallas has one of the highest Restaurants per capita or something to that affiliation. Houston is not too different, Houston is on the very border of the bible belt. Most Asians however reside in the actual city, or in Sugarland. that is the only difference, they are both very diverse and if you were to take the Dallas county statistics and the Harris County Statistics they are actually very similar.
They both have Decent skylines, however the Dallas Skyline is unmissable mainly because of the "Fountain Place" and the Reunion Tower. Those are the one that catch most people's eyes, and maybe the BOA plaza during the night. Houstons Skyline is taller in average, and probably bigger in generally, but not as eye-pleasing in my opinion. I prefer Dallas though, hight does matter.
BUT
we should be arguing with the Californians not amongst ourselves.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:00 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
What's wrong with the Olive Garden? I happen to like that place lol. Who cares if it's a chain when the cooking is tasty?

Good food is good food.
I agree mpope. Franchises get bashed all of the time, but if the food is good, what does it matter. I like Olive Garden as well.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:20 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I think there is an Olive Garden in Arlington (the king of chain restaurants).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I agree mpope. Franchises get bashed all of the time, but if the food is good, what does it matter. I like Olive Garden as well.
Yes, there are quite a few chains in Arlington! In fact, several chains across the country got their start in Texas before spreading nationwide like On The Border (which was originally Tex-Mex before management changed in the 90's and now it's billed as Mexican although the food is the same), Chili's, El Chico, Black-Eyed Pea, Carrino's Italian Grill, Spaghetti Warehouse, and Trail Dust and Salt Grass Steakhouse both of which are starting to expand outside of Texas. Obviously, there are others. But I love some of these chains, too. On The Border and Macaroni Grill are two of my favorite as well as Salt Grass.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:27 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Yes, there are quite a few chains in Arlington! In fact, several chains across the country got their start in Texas before spreading nationwide like On The Border (which was originally Tex-Mex before management changed in the 90's and now it's billed as Mexican although the food is the same), Chili's, El Chico, Black-Eyed Pea, Carrino's Italian Grill, Spaghetti Warehouse, and Trail Dust and Salt Grass Steakhouse both of which are starting to expand outside of Texas. Obviously, there are others. But I love some of these chains, too. On The Border and Macaroni Grill are two of my favorite as well as Salt Grass.
Ooh, don't forget Marble Slab. A Houston original that can be found all the way in Canada and the UAE.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:41 AM

564 posts, read 2,045,666 times
I'm not an Olive Garden fan, but I agree with mpope's general point, which is that a chained restaurant isn't necessarily bad just because it's a chain. And not all privately owned joints are worth a damn.

I liked a cajun restaurant here in Houston called Atchafalaya's... but they closed not too long after I moved here. I took it personally.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I hate it when people get the Idea that Dallas is a Hick town with Republicans enforcing Christian Values.
Don't forget about Daystar in Bedford and TBN's studios in Irving. Apparently Paul Crouch is starting to like DFW because it feels like Orange County.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Land value got too high and Six Flags thought it would be better if it just closed the park. Attendance was getting higher every year, too, so it wasn't the park.

The new park they are about to build will be a lot better because it is in the rolling topography (and heavily wooded) section of NE Houston Metro.
So what are they doing with the site Astroworld was at? Tear it down? Or has something already been done I was watching TXCN on the Astrodome project they have planned...looks pretty neat.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:59 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
So what are they doing with the site Astroworld was at? Tear it down? Or has something already been done I was watching TXCN on the Astrodome project they have planned...looks pretty neat.
TXCN? Don't you mean DFWCN? I swear, that network acts like Dallas is Texas.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:39 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Every day I drive by the site Astroworld used to be on. The walkway bridge over 610 is still there. (Cops hang out under its shadows - I got busted speeding there.)

But where Astroworld once sat, was cleared out completely. Now it is full of somewhat unkept, native swamp weeds/grasses.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:48 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
TXCN? Don't you mean DFWCN? I swear, that network acts like Dallas is Texas.
Hey I cant help that!!! I watch it because it does cover Houston via KHOU, Dallas via WFAA, San Antonio via KENS, & Austin via KVUE. Yes Belo does own TXCN and those stations I listed, and they do give each city EQUAL time, so saying TXCN is DFWCN....doesnt hold water. But we can agree to disagree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas