Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 01:52 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Dont play! The Showband of the South.....Alabama A&M!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marching Wolverines >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 04-26-2012, 06:28 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
Anyone else think it's hilarious that someone can search the internet and these are the two best quotes portraying Houston in a positive light?
No, but I think it's hilarious that you and Lakewooder continue to pretend like Houston is like Channelview in the 1970's.

According to Amplicate, which collects opinions from all over the web and does statistical analysis on what's said:
Houston, TX: 69% love, 39% hate
Dallas, TX: 50% love, 50% hate

Much more telling than some ancient quote.

But since you guys love quotes so much, here are some actual recent ones:

"Houston is as cosmopolitan and traffic-snarled as Los Angeles and as diverse as Queens, with parts as wealthy as the Upper East Side. It is the fourth-largest city in the country, with a world-class symphony orchestra and opera. Its voters in 2009 made Houston the largest city in the United States to elect an openly gay mayor, Annise D. Parker, a Democrat who has since been re-elected. You can go days without seeing anyone in a cowboy hat, but not a minute without seeing a BMW or a Starbucks." - The New York Times, 2012

"Houston is arguably Texas's most cosmopolitan city." - Fodors Travel

Old 04-26-2012, 07:59 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
No, but I think it's hilarious that you and Lakewooder continue to pretend like Houston is like Channelview in the 1970's.

According to Amplicate, which collects opinions from all over the web and does statistical analysis on what's said:
Houston, TX: 69% love, 39% hate
Dallas, TX: 50% love, 50% hate

Much more telling than some ancient quote.

But since you guys love quotes so much, here are some actual recent ones:

"Houston is as cosmopolitan and traffic-snarled as Los Angeles and as diverse as Queens, with parts as wealthy as the Upper East Side. It is the fourth-largest city in the country, with a world-class symphony orchestra and opera. Its voters in 2009 made Houston the largest city in the United States to elect an openly gay mayor, Annise D. Parker, a Democrat who has since been re-elected. You can go days without seeing anyone in a cowboy hat, but not a minute without seeing a BMW or a Starbucks." - The New York Times, 2012

"Houston is arguably Texas's most cosmopolitan city." - Fodors Travel
If you breakdown the Amplicate data you will see that Dallas has more loves than Houston, 40,748 to 36,425 respectively. It also currently has 81,904 total hits to Houston's 53,052. So, as usual Dallas receives more attention. Also interesting is how the difference between the amount of dislikes for Dallas vs dislikes for Houston, almost equals the amount of likes for Houston. Hmmmm... lol

All of these web-based opinion polls dealing with anonymous participants are garbage.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:09 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
wow, 40.7K loves for Dallas but 41.16K hates?? wow. Thats a lot of Hate. Houston only had 16K hates (Less than Tony Romo who has 21K hates )
Quote:
Tom Wolfe said it 30+ years ago. And you've used it before... do you just keep this relic on your desktop to copy and paste when needed? LOL.

As usual, you are never able to speak of Houston in the present.
No I think he pleasures himself to it. Its his version of Hustler Magazine

Old 04-26-2012, 08:13 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Default Die thread, die!

Die thread, die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
If you breakdown the Amplicate data you will see that Dallas has more loves than Houston, 40,748 to 36,425 respectively. It also currently has 81,904 total hits to Houston's 53,052. So, as usual Dallas receives more attention.
Um, you have to look at %, which was put right in front of you. Dallas has just as much "hate" as "love", while Houston has more "love." And it's not a garbage poll, it grabs and analyzes data from around the web, a lot of it not at all anonymous.
Dallas may be getting "more attention", but as usual it's bad attention. The stupid TV shows aren't helping, I'm pretty sure Houston and Austin are glad they've managed to duck those.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:57 AM

350 posts, read 867,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
The stupid TV shows aren't helping, I'm pretty sure Houston and Austin are glad they've managed to duck those.
LOL

Yeah, the boost to the local economy from the filming and the enhanced name recognition is just AWFUL for the city. I don't know why we put up with it.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Quote:
Die thread, die!

Um, you have to look at %, which was put right in front of you. Dallas has just as much "hate" as "love", while Houston has more "love." And it's not a garbage poll, it grabs and analyzes data from around the web, a lot of it not at all anonymous.
Dallas may be getting "more attention", but as usual it's bad attention. The stupid TV shows aren't helping, I'm pretty sure Houston and Austin are glad they've managed to duck those.
That's unrealistic. The networks spend big time money in DFW. The bad attention is given to the actors behaving like fools not to the city. The few shows I've seen that are filmed here, portrayed the area in a cool, hip manner. Didn't see a problem.

Houston craves the media exposure. There was a huge buzz in the city about "The Real Housewives of ---" possibly filming there. Never happened; instead it's been reported TRH is filming in Dallas. Understandably, Dallas has a much larger film industry base, more upscale appeal and draws more attention.

Don't know why you dragged Austin in, it's a media darling too.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Quote:
Tom Wolfe said it 30+ years ago. And you've used it before... do you just keep this relic on your desktop to copy and paste when needed? LOL.

As usual, you are never able to speak of Houston in the present.
Well the American Lung Association just released its present list of most polluted American cities:

#1: Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA
#2: Visalia-Porterville, CA
#3: Bakersfield-Delano, CA
#4: Fresno-Madera, CA
#5: Hanford-Corcoran, CA
#6: Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Yuba City, CA-NV
#7: San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA
#8: Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX
#9: San Luis Obispo-Paso Robles, CA
#10: Merced, CA

Old 04-26-2012, 11:32 AM

328 posts, read 471,479 times
Quote:
Die thread, die!

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about. -- Oscar Wilde

Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 AM

122 posts, read 222,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
That's unrealistic. The networks spend big time money in DFW. The bad attention is given to the actors behaving like fools not to the city. The few shows I've seen that are filmed here, portrayed the area in a cool, hip manner. Didn't see a problem.

Houston craves the media exposure. There was a huge buzz in the city about "The Real Housewives of ---" possibly filming there. Never happened; instead it's been reported TRH is filming in Dallas. Understandably, Dallas has a much larger film industry base, more upscale appeal and draws more attention.

Don't know why you dragged Austin in, it's a media darling too.
They were shooting the Real Housewives in Houston until all the ladies quit. And I don't think anybody in Houston craves media exposure. If they did, they would have paid Bravo the money they were demanding.

And just for the record, I love me some GCB!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas