Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times

Advertisements

Dalladboi cracks me up. Quality entertainment without fail

Old 03-06-2013, 12:59 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
What did you say Mr Pot?
I never argue with lists...If it says you're #1 then you're #1.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Dalladboi cracks me up. Quality entertainment without fail
ANYTHING from Dallas is Quality
Im glad I can be of service to you most all-mighty Houstonian.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:21 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
And Dallasboi is about to pass me up... very soon.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
And Dallasboi is about to pass me up... very soon.
Yep...im planning a party

Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 PM

32 posts, read 77,573 times
Late to the party. But I wanted to post this and this seemed like the best thread.

But something I noticed, and I was kinda taken aback by this is that Dallas completely NEGLECTS the southern portion of its city. Now before everyone starts throwing daggers at me, let me say that if I know two cities very well, it's both Houston and Dallas. And not just PARTS of those cities, but all parts. With that said, I've lived in the 'hoods', shopped in the nice neighborhoods, partied in the happening areas, and hung in the burbs. But if you were to drive down North Dallas 75--> South Dallas 45, you'd notice a huge difference. I'm talking, no lights, no signs, no billboards...nothing! The same goes with I-35. I know that the further you go south, the more you'd bump into the hoods. However, in Houston's hoods, there's still lights and life going on. Just an observation.

I've also noticed that the majority of things to do in Dallas proper is sandwiched between Downtown, and Walnut Hill Ln. And I-35 and Greenville Ave. You can throw in Deep Ellum and Bishop Arts. Everything else to do is outside of Dallas. Whereas, in Houston, The things to do stretch from EaDo to the Beltway.

I chose to live in Dallas and plan on staying here for the next 3-5 years, but EVERY TIME I go back home to Houston, I don't want to leave. Yes, my family is there, but Houston has SO much to offer! The culture is amazing. The chill, relaxed vibe I get when I'm there. I love it.
Both are really great places, but Houston just fits me a little better.

Sooo....you guys ever thought of retiring this thread and starting a similar one?
The Woodlands vs. Southlake?
Sugar Land vs. Plano?
River Oaks vs. Highland Park?
Washington Ave vs. Greenville Ave?
Montrose vs. Oak Lawn?
Third Ward vs. Oak Cliff?
Fifth Ward vs. South Dallas? (kidding)
Discovery Green vs Klyde Warren Park?
Herman Park vs....umm There's no comparison...

Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times
Sooo....you guys ever thought of retiring this thread and starting a similar one?
The Woodlands vs. Southlake? Southlake
Sugar Land vs. Plano? Plano
River Oaks vs. Highland Park? Highland Park
Washington Ave vs. Greenville Ave? Greenville Ave
Montrose vs. Oak Lawn? Tie
Third Ward vs. Oak Cliff? OC
Fifth Ward vs. South Dallas? (kidding) never been to the 5th ward
Discovery Green vs Klyde Warren Park? Klyde Warren Park
Herman Park vs....umm There's no comparison.. I like driving through memorial park

Here's some more...
Midtown Houston vs. Uptown Dallas? Uptown
Dallas doesn't have anything like Uptown Houston
Tanglewood vs. Preston Hollow? Tanglewood

Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drecey View Post
Late to the party. But I wanted to post this and this seemed like the best thread.

But something I noticed, and I was kinda taken aback by this is that Dallas completely NEGLECTS the southern portion of its city. Now before everyone starts throwing daggers at me, let me say that if I know two cities very well, it's both Houston and Dallas. And not just PARTS of those cities, but all parts. With that said, I've lived in the 'hoods', shopped in the nice neighborhoods, partied in the happening areas, and hung in the burbs. But if you were to drive down North Dallas 75--> South Dallas 45, you'd notice a huge difference. I'm talking, no lights, no signs, no billboards...nothing! The same goes with I-35. I know that the further you go south, the more you'd bump into the hoods. However, in Houston's hoods, there's still lights and life going on. Just an observation.

I've also noticed that the majority of things to do in Dallas proper is sandwiched between Downtown, and Walnut Hill Ln. And I-35 and Greenville Ave. You can throw in Deep Ellum and Bishop Arts. Everything else to do is outside of Dallas. Whereas, in Houston, The things to do stretch from EaDo to the Beltway.

I chose to live in Dallas and plan on staying here for the next 3-5 years, but EVERY TIME I go back home to Houston, I don't want to leave. Yes, my family is there, but Houston has SO much to offer! The culture is amazing. The chill, relaxed vibe I get when I'm there. I love it.

Sugar Land vs. Plano?
Montrose vs. Oak Lawn?
You couldn't be more right...The southern sector is dizzily behind the northern portion of Dallas....BUT......The bright side is.. the city of Dallas has FINALLY realized this and is currently spearheading development in the southern portion of the city.There are alot of plans for southern Dallas that many don't know about. But when it all starts happening people will be shocked....In Fact it has already star happening.
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2012/02/13/rawlings-1b-plan-for-growth-in.html

http://oakcliffblog.dallasnews.com/2012/03/lancaster-urban-village-offers.html/

Dallas TOD | Lancaster Corridor

And this is just the beginning!!! In 10-15 years the southern sector will be just as built out as north Dallas.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drecey View Post

Sugar Land vs. Plano?
Montrose vs. Oak Lawn?
Very good post. In fact, when i'd visit Dallas traveling in from 45, i'd often forget that about 10 miles south of downtown, I had actually reached the city limits of Dallas. I still feel like i'm in a rural Tx! I don't know i'm in Dallas until i've actually reached the foot of the downtown skyline! That is quite akward.

And Midtown Houston has had a small boom period. I think its actually starting the process of trying to go in the direction of Uptown Dallas. Uptown Houston, although not Uptown Dallas's equivalent has also begun to take off with new development projects and in the process of completing Boulevard Place.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:02 PM

This will be great in addition to everything else thats gonna happen.
The Canyon In Oak Cliff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas