Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 08:20 PM

328 posts, read 468,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yeah, they are big on cheap, mass produced crap.
Dallas is so plastic. So fake. So inorganic.
If I had a new dollar store chain or some chinese buffet, I would test it in DFW too.

Dallas needs more organic uniqueness. Dallas is too sterile.
Nothing is naturally developed. Everything Everything strained and over the top.

Why so fake Dallas? Why
I laughed hilariously earlier today when I read this from Binkyman:
And it isn't that Houston doesn't have shopping. Unfortunately, like the city itself, it is quite spread out and Bohemian.

You can keep your funky, quirky, hipster vintage clothing stores in The Heights. I'm going to Crate&Barrel. Of the five in Texas, three are in DFW. Austin and Houston each have one. Inside The Loop, of course. That's where everything--most of the good shopping, restaurants and other amenities--is in Houston. If you're not "ITL," you're nowhere.

Next my buddy and I may be ready for a burger, a really great burger, the best one I've ever eaten, at Twisted Root Burger, which was founded and run by culinary-trained chefs (one a pastry chef), here in Dallas. (WOW. ORGANIC.) There are eight locations. They're expanding out of DFW, to Shreveport and--gasp--Austin.
Twisted Root Burger Company*|* The Story

Then it's over to Pinkberry for a frozen yogurt or smoothie. Of the eight stores in Texas, half of them are in DFW. Houston has three, Austin one.

If we're ready for a movie at a brand-new, upscale, state-of-the-art theater, we'll head to LOOK Cinemas on Belt Line and Prestonwood Blvd. (I work about a mile away, in Addison, land of a thousand "ORGANIC" bars and restaurants. Just try to find a parking spot after work on Friday.)
Evolution
You’ve never seen really BIG like this before. LOOK Cinemas’ unbelievable BIG screens, Evolution, provide an unbelievable cinema experience for both 2-D and 3-D films combining huge silver screens, the finest projection and unbelievable audio technology, featuring next generation Dolby Atmos sound, in ultra comfortable seating with stadium risers that put you in the center of the action on screen. Enjoy your favorite movie concessions during the show.
LOOK Cinemas | Dallas
LOOK Cinemas | Dining and Movie Experiences

Talk about exclusive. Top-shelf. ORGANIC. And all in the city limits of Big D.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 PM

122 posts, read 221,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Forgot to mention

DFW is always the area where companies come to first when they want to expand into Texas. Trader Joe's, IN-N-OUT, Win Mart, Aldi, Bloomingdale's Outlet, etc.
The first Trader Joe's in Texas opened on June 14th in Fort Worth. The second opened in the Woodlands on June 15th. Does DFW get more stuff first? Probably. It is a bigger metro. But Houston gets a fair share as well. Tesla, Uchi, Apple flagship store.

Everybody just needs to realize that the cities are more alike than different and embrace that.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:38 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,791,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Dallas and Houston are both great cities

END OF THREAD!
It NEVER ends.

You know that...

Old 08-09-2013, 05:51 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,786,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It NEVER ends.

You know that...
I Think Dallas should change their motto to : TGFW:

Thank God for FORT WORTH.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:27 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,778,660 times
Quote:
I Think Dallas should change their motto to : TGFW:

Thank God for FORT WORTH.

And Northeast Houston should change theirs to Thank God for Southwest Houston.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post

And Northeast Houston should change theirs to Thank God for Southwest Houston.
Well all of Texas Thank God for Houston, so that's kinda mute

Old 08-09-2013, 07:24 PM

328 posts, read 468,230 times
Quote:
Well all of Texas Thank God for Houston, so that's kinda mute
moot
Urban Dictionary: moot point
1. moot point
A moot point is an expression meaning that something doesn't matter so there is no point for debate because of certain circumstances. It is either irrelevant/not worth arguing over.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 PM

6,263 posts, read 7,418,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
moot
1. moot point
A moot point is an expression meaning that something doesn't matter so there is no point for debate because of certain circumstances. It is either irrelevant/not worth arguing over.

ped·ant

noun \ˈpe-d[SIZE=2]ənt\[/SIZE]

CloseStyle: MLA APA Chicago

Definition of PEDANT

obsolete : a male schoolteacher

a : one who makes a show of knowledge
b : one who is unimaginative or who unduly emphasizes minutiae in the presentation or use of knowledge
c : a formalist or precisionist in teaching

Pedant - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

next!

Old 08-09-2013, 07:50 PM

77 posts, read 137,232 times
Im going to have to disagree with the beginning terms of this discussion. Austin and San Antonio may not be as large, but they are among the top 40 metropolitan areas of this country and Austin itself has a feel that none of the other Texas cities can even get near. Not to mention the history that goes with San Antonio marking it as a large tourist destination.

That being out of the way, I have never lived in Houston, but have family there and have been many many times. I did live in Dallas for 4 years. I would have to say that in a decision I would have to pick Houston. Not because its a "port city" (so is Detroit btw,) but because the people seem to be a bit more down to earth. In Dallas, it is all about what is NEW and NOW. Down with the old and up with the new!

As for the climate, yes Houston is hot, but there is a cooler breeze off of the Gulf that makes it not so bad. The wind in Dallas is like a blowdryer in your face. Occasionally Houston does get hurricanes, but, the coast is an hour away so most damage is caused by wind and rain. Dallas on the other hands gets tornados, ice storms, dust storms, hail storms.......and while I was there, the remnants of a hurricane flooded out parts of the city so the hurricane argument doesn't work.

Socially, there is more of a variety of people in Houston (though not like the variety Austin has.) Dallas is a very yuppy city. It has been referred to also as the land of the $35,000 millionaires. Take that for what you will. It is said that Dallas has better shopping. They have the same exact stores, well, not anymore. Saks recwently closed in Dallas to become Belk! Hurray! As far as the arts, they both have extensive performing and creative art scenes. Houston was once the top Opera company second only to NYC's Metropolitan Opera. But you're going to find plenty of art in both cities.

Traffic is awful in both cities. Is one worse than another? Depends on the day.

Beauty? Well, I live in Austin and neither can touch it as a beautiful city, but, Dallas is a city full of concrete. There are parts of Houston that are ugly, but other parts have beautiful forests and bayou's.

So since I've been limited to the two cities mentioned, Houston is the better choice. However, Austin has just about anything you can want and if it doesnt, Houston and Dallas are short distances away for the occasional day trips!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
moot
1. moot point
like you never make typos.
Some people type on phones you know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas