Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 11:23 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,260,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I will say that West Village has the only subway rail station in Texas so there is one there, Las Colinas has multiple stations including a few in the "urban center" and Addison has the land for a downtown station if the Cotton Belt ever gets kicked off.
Cityplace is across the freeway, though, so I wouldn't say that one is in WV. It does have the connecting streetcar, so I'll give it that. The only catch is that 20 minutes you'll spend on the escalators.

Those Las Colinas stations seem to go near the center but not in it.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
You'd be surprised. Just go to one of the nicer areas of Oak Cliff......nuff said
I've been to the nicer areas of Oak Cliff. I didn't say there weren't snobs. I said they weren't typical.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Southern Dallas is known for being where more lower income families live. Way less people travel north than the people living north travels south for work.most of dallas' slums are located in southern Dallas where alot of people dont evn have jobs.thats one of the reasons the southern portions of the red and blue lines are way shorter than the portions north of downtown.
Rail on the south side of Chicago gets plenty of use.

Instead of continuing to come up with excuses as to why ridership is low, can't y'all just admit that DART is far from a perfect rail system?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:37 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,243,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Cityplace is across the freeway, though, so I wouldn't say that one is in WV. It does have the connecting streetcar, so I'll give it that. The only catch is that 20 minutes you'll spend on the escalators.

Those Las Colinas stations seem to go near the center but not in it.
Cityplace/Uptown station has access to both Cityplace (the across the freeway you were referring to) and Uptown Station which is in the West Village where the trolley turntable is.

There is Las Colinas Urban Center Station which is in the urban center. It's a block-ish from Las Colinas Blvd.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:40 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,243,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Rail on the south side of Chicago gets plenty of use.

Instead of continuing to come up with excuses as to why ridership is low, can't y'all just admit that DART is far from a perfect rail system?
Who is saying it's perfect? I think some Dallas posters may brag about things a bit more than necessary, but I think we all know that DART has a lot of room to grow. Even the DART folks themselves said the current rail system is in a 100 year build out plan as they hope to generate growth in previous low growth industrial corridors. Culturally, Dallas and even Texas is not rail oriented like up North in places like Chicago and such. People like their vehicular freedoms 'round these parts.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:12 AM

433 posts, read 656,702 times
Is Dallas similar to Houston at all? I have never been

Old 01-25-2014, 05:59 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,063,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Who is saying it's perfect? I think some Dallas posters may brag about things a bit more than necessary, but I think we all know that DART has a lot of room to grow. Even the DART folks themselves said the current rail system is in a 100 year build out plan as they hope to generate growth in previous low growth industrial corridors. Culturally, Dallas and even Texas is not rail oriented like up North in places like Chicago and such. People like their vehicular freedoms 'round these parts.
Not true. The reality is people prefer vehicles in TX because plain and simple our cities aren't pedestrian-friendly. Us liking our cars has little to do with the TX mindset and more to do with the layout of our cities. Trust, people in places like NYC and Chicago love their cars too. I know people in DC talk horribly about metro up there, but it's still one of the most used in the country.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:48 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,391,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1070 View Post
who is saying it's perfect? I think some dallas posters may brag about things a bit more than necessary, but i think we all know that dart has a lot of room to grow. Even the dart folks themselves said the current rail system is in a 100 year build out plan as they hope to generate growth in previous low growth industrial corridors. Culturally, dallas and even texas is not rail oriented like up north in places like chicago and such. People like their vehicular freedoms 'round these parts.
+1

Old 01-25-2014, 07:11 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,391,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo45 View Post
Is Dallas similar to Houston at all? I have never been
Kinda..... they are the same in alot of ways. Houston is alot larger than Dallas in pop and land coverage. But its hard to tell because DFW Is the larger metro by pop and land coverage. Houston has taller buildings and more of them. It also has no zoning which makes the biggest difference in appearance. Houston people that i work with still love it to death but says living in Dallas is alot better for their family. Dallas is the more flashy swanky one out of the two. Some say that's very tacky in some areas and dallas overdoses on it. Some think Houston is all about the quantity of tall bland buildings all over the place. They both have noticeable flaws but what big city doesn't? Overall they both are great and you can have fun in both. But some Houstonians think just bbecause Houston is bigger that it's automatically the best in every category. ...thats far from the truth.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:35 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,869,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Kinda..... they are the same in alot of ways. Houston is alot larger than Dallas in pop and land coverage. But its hard to tell because DFW Is the larger metro by pop and land coverage. Houston has taller buildings and more of them. It also has no zoning which makes the biggest difference in appearance. Houston people that i work with still love it to death but says living in Dallas is alot better for their family. Dallas is the more flashy swanky one out of the two. Some say that's very tacky in some areas and dallas overdoses on it. Some think Houston is all about the quantity of tall bland buildings all over the place. They both have noticeable flaws but what big city doesn't? Overall they both are great and you can have fun in both. But some Houstonians think just bbecause Houston is bigger that it's automatically the best in every category. ...thats far from the truth.
Dallas has better, larger suburbs (some say more family oriented) that's about it. City proper its a wash. Both have their posh & poor areas of town. Dallas does a better job of sweeping the bad ones under the rug where Houston doesn't care what people think making it more Liberal in that sense. You either love Houston or you hate it no in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas