Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 01:55 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
Ive actually lived in both cities and to be honest you really can't compare the two. Each city is suited for different lifestyles, it would be like comparing a bmw m5 and a Mercedes c-class. Both very nice cars but they are for different people living a certain lifestyle. But from my experience Houston is very diverse and has alot of culture hell Houston has gay mayor. Houston is a fast paced city, with beach access and very close to Louisiana, SA and Austin. Houston has probably the worst traffic in Texas and with the diversity comes foreign drivers which results to Houston having the worst drivers in Texas. Oh yeah Houston is much connected by the Mexican cartel than Dallas which is terrible. Dallas for the most part very easy to get around, and have a melting pot of little cities around it. Dallas has a very peaceful nice night scene which you don't have to worry about being shot by a stray bullet or your car broken into. Dallas have some very good schools I've actually graduated high school out there and learned more out there in school than I've learned in Houston. But the think that have me picking Houston over Dallas was the flat out racism I experienced in Dallas. Ive been called racial slurs more times in my life during my time in Dallas than any other place in my life. BTW I went to college in Baton Rouge so that's saying something. The blandness of Dallas and lack of culture is what I didn't like. So based on my experience alone ill pick houston over Dallas everyday, because you can avoid traffic and you can get insurance for bad drivers but you can't fix racism. Sorry for any errors im doing this from my phone so its kind of hard to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
@texastallest what don't you agree with?
first off saying one city is like a c class while the other is an m5. (not sure which way you meant that, it doesnt really matter, because both cities are about equal in terms of prosperity)
Houston having the worst traffic in Texas..
your reference to the mexican cartels when San Antonio is by far the most connected Texas metropolitan area to Mexico. the difference between number of hispanics in DFW to Houston is 300,000.. you make it sound like Houston is in Mexico or something.
you claiming you have to worry about being shot by a stray bullet or your car being broken into in Houston (like DFW doesnt have gun violence, or car break ins.. )
saying you didnt learn much in Houston (curious, what school[s] did you attend in Houston?) vs Dallas.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:09 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
However with the imagery of wayward bullets and stifling traffic, you do not exactly paint a pleasant picture of life in Houston. OK got it?
right? DFW has about the same gun violence as metro Houston. (http://www.theatlanticcities.com/pol...ns-world/4412/)

and

violence/crime in city proper, Dallas vs Houston (from Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed)

Houston
Murders Rape Robbery Assault
217 677 9,430 11,379

Dallas
MURDER RAPE ROBBERY ASSAULT
154 491 4,098 3,650

keep in mind, the population of Houston (according to the website these stats were from) is 2.18 and the population of Dallas is 1.24 million

what this means is that there are a good bit more murders per person in Dallas than in Houston, a lot more rapes in Dallas than Houston, and about an even amount of robberies (those car break ins you suggested happen frequently in Houston, but not Dallas).

Last edited by Yac; 02-19-2014 at 06:12 AM..

Old 02-17-2014, 02:37 PM

342 posts, read 685,535 times
@tallest texan sorry to use a car reference, Mercedes c-class and a M5 are both beautiful cars but m5 is more of a sporty car and the c class is more of a luxury. Just like houston and dallas are both beautiful cities, Im not going to boring you with car talk so I apologize for using that reference. Well were comparing Dallas to Houston, and if read what I wrote I put it compared to Dallas. So how SA is brought in this I have no idea because im aware of how SA operates. Please read my words im basing this off my experience damn what the stats say im speaking from first hand experience. Ive had less problems in deep ellum than on main street or Dowling st. Btw I went Madison high school in Houston moved to dallas went to Duncanville and graduated from Rockwall.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:15 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Keep in mind when dealing with Houston's tricky incorporated and unincorporated areas, you have to consider crime in the unincorporated areas of Harris County. Example, for 2013 add 91 homicides to the Houston's 199 total. I'm sure Houston has intentionally left "certain" areas unincorporated for a reason.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:30 PM

121 posts, read 144,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
While we continue to argue Houston v. Dallas, Los Angeles has poured the foundation for the newest, tallest building west of the Mississippi. It will surpass the current, second tallest, just a few blocks away, also in Los Angeles.

Yahoo!

Until either Dallas or Houston builds its next supertall, one that exceeds the heights of BOTH of those in LA, this entire thread is nothing but a circle you-know-what. Give it a rest. Until then, we're just arguing about who has the finest dog house.

Bragging about stuff built in the eighties is trite and boring. It's all about the here and now, folks. The here and now. Please.
Game changers are always better than the building of a skyscraper. I mentioned the Far North Dallas area because it has received more game changers recently than any other business district in Texas. Next comes the Energy Corridor in Houston. Then the Woodlands follows after that and then the Richardson Telecom Corridor.

Most of the talk in Texas is about Uptown Dallas or downtown Houston when, while there is a lot of construction going on in both, they really haven't attracted any game changers.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:32 PM
TXT

165 posts, read 238,421 times
Default So Tired of This Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi the baby deer View Post
Game changers are always better than the building of a skyscraper. I mentioned the Far North Dallas area because it has received more game changers recently than any other business district in Texas. Next comes the Energy Corridor in Houston. Then the Woodlands follows after that and then the Richardson Telecom Corridor.

Most of the talk in Texas is about Uptown Dallas or downtown Houston when, while there is a lot of construction going on in both, they really haven't attracted any game changers.

Far North Dallas may be high on the list but it is NOT #1...that's either the Energy Corridor or Uptown Houston...next comes DT Houston or Uptown Dallas...then maybe Far North Dallas.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT View Post
Far North Dallas may be high on the list but it is NOT #1...that's either the Energy Corridor or Uptown Houston...next comes DT Houston or Uptown Dallas...then maybe Far North Dallas.
I do like all that huge amounts of retail in Uptown Houston. And, see, retail is the key and the Energy Corridor, while it has lots of it close by in the Memorial area and even further away in Katy, it isn't immersed in it as are the areas of both Uptown Houston and far north Dallas. And I'm talking about such game changers here as the Dallas Cowboys moving their headquarters and practice facilities to Frisco. There is also the recent news of an expansion planned on the surrounding property of J.C. Penneys which is located west directly across the North Dallas Parkway from Legacy Town Center. And then there is the way Hines is finally showing up in a big way similarly to how the developer showed up to do the Galleria back when all that development around Addison and north of the LBJ freeway was happening.

What is interesting about all these developments is the different ways in which they are being anchored. The development surrounding the Dallas Cowboys headquarters is going to be anchored by the Cowboys of course. So consider a lot of that development a sure deal. The development around J.C. Penneys will be supported by the booming office construction that is now ongoing north of Legacy Town Center. And, of course, the Nebraska Furniture Mart is serving as a kind of theme park anchor for its huge Grandscape development. There is another fairly large development which will be anchored by a Whole Foods which is the crazed thing for developers to do nowadays. Another much smaller development is being anchored by a Cinemark theatre towards the north and an Eatzies Restaurant towards the south.

Of all this development, which won't get built? The Nebraska Furniture Mart is already approaching completion with the first phase of added retail within the rest of what will make up Grandscape under construction as well.

Perhaps the Cowboy development will replace its retail with residential. You know, and most of these developments will take a while.

This does remind me of what once happened within the Houston Galleria area, but it is on a much grander scale.

In regards to both downtown Houston and Uptown Dallas, if office construction is muscle and retail is the ligaments and bone, then which would be the better situation? Bone without any muscle, or muscle without any bone? The residential happens when there exists an ideal blend of both. I will agree that there is surely lots of muscle in downtown Houston, but that isn't a good thing if it distracts from the more difficult task of making retail work. The effort to address retail in central Dallas is at least an obsession.

Last edited by Gandhi the baby deer; 02-17-2014 at 08:57 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 PM

Default A six pack of this or a half a dozen of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Let me break down the quote for you raymon. I said with "endorsements" (an act of giving one's public approval or support to someone or something.) like the one you gave in the post in question. Who needs "bashing" (To engage in harsh, accusatory, threatening criticism.). I explicitly imply that there is no "bashing" going on in your post. However with the imagery of wayward bullets and stifling traffic, you do not exactly paint a pleasant picture of life in Houston. OK got it?
Okay. Let's take this a step further for those living outside of state. There are two kinds of wayward gun owners. There are those criminal ones who shoot horizontally at people and then there are those drunken stupid ones who shoot vertically up in the air. In a city like Houston, one without zoning, the latter kinds of wayward gun owners tend to pop their guns all over the blessed city. In Dallas, a city with zoning, the horizontal acts of shooting and killing tend to happen in more isolated areas.

So call it a draw.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi the baby deer View Post
Okay. Let's take this a step further for those living outside of state. There are two kinds of wayward gun owners. There are those criminal ones who shoot horizontally at people and then there are those drunken stupid ones who shoot vertically up in the air. In a city like Houston, one without zoning, the latter kinds of wayward gun owners tend to pop their guns all over the blessed city. In Dallas, a city with zoning, the horizontal acts of shooting and killing tend to happen in more isolated areas.

So call it a draw.
This is absurd, I can't believe you are this misinformed. City zoning ordinances have nothing to do with it. It is illegal to discharge a firearm into the air anywhere in the city of Houston and state law regulates what can be done in unincorporated areas. The test case was a case in Fort Worth of all places.

The upshot? Since the law passed four years ago, the Dallas Morning News now reports:
{E}ach year ....frantic callers have flooded North Texas 911 lines on the opening day of dove hunting season with complaints about noise and the proximity of hunters to their homes.
Police Chief Todd Renshaw of Frisco {north of Dallas}, said he knew of no related injuries, but in some cases shotgun pellets rained down on homes and businesses.

And to him that means hunters are simply too close.

"I'm a hunter. I hunt dove. But there are places in Frisco where I have hunted that I don't any more, because it's just too close to civilization."
A pending bill in the current session of the legislature increases the distance from 150 to 1,500 feet for schools, day care sites, residential subdivisions, apartment complexes, parks and outdoor recreation areas. The Texas State Rifle Association (the Lone Star wing of the NRA) has supposedly signed off on the increase, and that's a good thing.

This is a link from 2009 but I believe it is still current. One thing for sure is that zoning has nothing to do with it.

Jackson Williams: Don't Mess With Texas... Especially Its New Gun Law

There is no draw to it.....

People in glass houses should not throw stones or shoot bullets..

Old 02-17-2014, 10:58 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Exactly, the link in the article is from a Houston-based website. I'm glad TT posted the link, it certainly dispels the misperception that Houstonians never think about Dallas.

I challenge anyone to find a similar Dallas-based site that caters to Houston bashing.
The only thing I ever really see coming from Houston that makes me think it's trying to "Dallas" itself is when people from there say their Midtown area is on it's way to becoming like our Uptown at some point as it continues to develop. I can't think of anywhere in Dallas that is trying to be modeled after Houston. We seem to do more of our own thing up here in that regard. If anything it seems to me like the attitudes up here are to distance ourselves from that stereotypical Houston image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas