Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Huh? i assume that was supposed to be a shot at Houston but your illiteracy and run-on sentences dont make any sense.
I understood him just fine.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:15 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I understood him just fine.
Must be the Dallas ebonics.. Hard to tell but I think he was complaining that downtown Houston has more park space than downtown Dallas? What a dumb argument.. More green space is clearly better. As for the reference to the parking lot district of the 80s.. Get with the times. Over half of those lots have been developed...

Old 02-21-2014, 11:20 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
I didn't quite understand the comment about "pointless" greenspace when city's are trying their best to get accreditation for being green. Even surface parking lots, as ugly as they are are not pointless, they serve a purpose.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Dallas should have built the lake before the bridges.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:42 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Dallas should have built the lake before the bridges.
It's easier and more cost effective to construct the bridges then form the lakes.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:56 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
People are putting too much emphasis on the size of the lakes....Its a shame to result in writing off everything in Dallas thats not like the renderings just to be able to say Dallas failed at something...When the original idea of any project is announced 99% will be altered and different from the original renderings or "What was Promised". Dallas always come through. I think thats why so many people that dont like or understand Dallas roar with happiness when they think Dallas has failed.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:09 PM

121 posts, read 145,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
It's easier and more cost effective to construct the bridges then form the lakes.
And wouldn't all those lakes fill up with junk every time the Trinity floods?

Meanwhile, outside that little box that is central Dallas, I just find the area of West Plano / Frisco exhausting. I don't think there has ever been another development like it in all the state of Texas. It isn't all the office space being built there that is so beyond apprehension, but the implications from all that retail. I can remember back a few years not being able to imagine any new retail being added to the already incredible amount of retail built. Yet, if what is planned today actually gets built, then it should just about double the amount of retail.

Surely the potential for this area has altered in the last few years.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I didn't quite understand the comment about "pointless" greenspace when city's are trying their best to get accreditation for being green. Even surface parking lots, as ugly as they are are not pointless, they serve a purpose.
Indeed, the problem with hating on car parking plazas is that the less astute will then hate on people park plazas. Park plazas are important factors in creating urban density. In Dallas, they have developed spontaneously beyond the master plans. For example, it is hard to separate the original function of Dealy Plaza from the event of the Kennedy Assassination that took place within it. In other words, just how good of a people place would Dealy Plaza be if it were left alone to standing alone apart from the Kennedy assassination? And the way Dealy Plaza spreads into the pedestrian friendly West End Historic district adds further to the spontaneity expanding the Plaza beyond the original plan. The original themed park lines get erased. It is difficult for indigenous residents in the area to see this positive aspects of plazas.

The same is true with the relationship between the Dallas Design District and Klyde Warren Park. What makes the nearby Spires project neat is how they plan on adding to that overall Plaza, not just to the developments within it. I much prefer these kinds of plazas to that of the more pretentious parks in downtown that get built fully by following after a master plan. Eventually, as more of these pretentious parks get built, they will evolve into something more of the line of spontaneous plazas.

Another spontaneous plaza of parks in downtown Dallas is located in the vicinity of the Dallas Convention Center and the Dallas City Hall building.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
Just curious whats the point of this thread? I've been through the old post and its the same thing being recycled. Do we expect anyone from either city to say the other is better?
Actually, you learn a lot by contrasting. For example, I didn't think anything of that Midtown development planned in North Dallas or that any of it would see the light of day. Then I compared and contrasted it with that new billion dollar development planned in Uptown Houston. First off, what I failed to consider is how the planned Midtown development already has the Galleria Dallas as an anchor. In other words, we aren't just talking about the potential for it to have the Galleria Dallas as an anchor. It is already there with a lot of other developments already in place.

So, I now have no doubt that that development will get built. The last development planned in that area was announced right before the recession, before the reconstruction of the LBJ freeway took place, and didn't involve revisioning the now defunct Valley View mall into it.

So, beyond what seems to be constant bragging, the contrasting and comparing of two different cities is educational.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:04 PM

62 posts, read 59,810 times
Are you kidding me, Dallas city hall rocks, designed by one of the most famous architects of the 20th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas