Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 07:08 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,867,254 times

Advertisements

Arlington does nothing for me. Its just another soul less suburb. Its "downtown" is nothing but a bunch of used car lots & tire shops.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:17 PM

6,621 posts, read 9,840,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Arlington does nothing for me. Its just another soul less suburb. Its "downtown" is nothing but a bunch of used car lots & tire shops.
For once I agree with you!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:39 PM

121 posts, read 144,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
I read that report you are speaking of. Comparing Arlington to Austin is the same as comparing apples to oranges. If you would look at the methodology of that ranking, much of it is based on things other than jobs. You can never trust those city rankings unless you know how to decipher what they are basing it on.
I can imagine there is going to be fluctuations in those rankings as well. And it seems to include only the major cities. It doesn't say anything about Richardson, McKiinney, or Plano. The city of Arlington is pushing a population of 400,000.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Arlington is essentially extended Fort Worth. In addition, there are several manufacturing companies that have been expanding in Arlington, including GM. It really shouldn't be a surprise Arlington is ranked high on the list.
Okay, but I'm still surprised. Arlington's image has been tarnished recently by Plano and Irving. But, like Richardson, it has a major branch of the University of Texas system. My dad graduated from the University of Texas at Arlington with a masters in mathematics back in the early sixties.

It is just a lot more difficult getting retail to work anywhere outside of Preston Road in the North Texas region. But there is still the regional attraction of Six Flags, both of the two professional sports stadiums, and the GM plant.

And there is all that distribution and expanding industry hidden in plain sight as you say.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:36 PM

4,421 posts, read 6,241,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
i didnt see towers anywhere?

this line had me rolling..

"The steelwork for the structure towers almost 10 stories over the northbound lane of the tollway."

towers almost 10 stories.. lmao, its not even a high-rise.
I have to agree with you. I see "tower" thrown around Dallas developments a lot when a lot of the time it is a mid-rise being spoken of. I've mentioned this to people before but I will lay it out again:

1-4 stories (Lowrise)
5-11 stories (Midrise)
12+ (Highrise)

Old 03-05-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I have to agree with you. I see "tower" thrown around Dallas developments a lot when a lot of the time it is a mid-rise being spoken of. I've mentioned this to people before but I will lay it out again:

1-4 stories (Lowrise)
5-11 stories (Midrise)
12+ (Highrise)
The building of lowrises and midrises isn't a new phenomenon to the North Texas region. In the old encyclopedias, Dallas was always mentioned as having the greatest concentration of companies in the world. So, that would mean a lot of small companies needing little lowrise and midrise offices. Think more of a mixed use industrial facility with manufacturing, warehouse, and offices in a single structure. Or just look at the tremendous buildup of those types of buildings along Stemmons Expressway and beyond.

Thing is, small companies not only tend to out perform large corporations, but they pay their employees better. So, what is going on right now in let's say Las Colinas? Well, if all those little companies based in the area are now expanding an average of 25 percent, then that would imply that the area will need about a quarter of the space now present which totals 24 million square feet. That amount would be about six million square feet of space.

And figure that doesn't even include potential relocations to the area?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:46 PM

577 posts, read 509,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Arlington is essentially extended Fort Worth. In addition, there are several manufacturing companies that have been expanding in Arlington, including GM. It really shouldn't be a surprise Arlington is ranked high on the list.

What I am saying is that lists/rankings/polls are highly subjective according to how they are constructed. The ranking in question is really not saying that Arlington is high on the "number" of jobs being created. Look at the author's methodology, it's about housing, taxes ect.... It all depends on what data an author wants to use when applying as his/her personal feelings on what makes a city great for a job. You see the same thing with the notorious "Forbes" rankings and others.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:23 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,867,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi the baby deer View Post
The building of lowrises and midrises isn't a new phenomenon to the North Texas region. In the old encyclopedias, Dallas was always mentioned as having the greatest concentration of companies in the world. So, that would mean a lot of small companies needing little lowrise and midrise offices. Think more of a mixed use industrial facility with manufacturing, warehouse, and offices in a single structure. Or just look at the tremendous buildup of those types of buildings along Stemmons Expressway and beyond.

Thing is, small companies not only tend to out perform large corporations, but they pay their employees better. So, what is going on right now in let's say Las Colinas? Well, if all those little companies based in the area are now expanding an average of 25 percent, then that would imply that the area will need about a quarter of the space now present which totals 24 million square feet. That amount would be about six million square feet of space.

And figure that doesn't even include potential relocations to the area?
Greatest concentration? Seriously? LOL

Dallas isn't a dense city to begin with so how are you going to say its buildings & businesses are concentrated into the World's largest. Lets get real here, they're not.

That title would likely go to NYC.

Now Houston on the other hand does have the World's largest concentration of medical facilities aka The Texas Medical Center. Everyone knows that.

Maybe this is where you're getting confused.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:16 PM

There was a time when the city of Dallas was said to have more corporate headquarters and more available retail per person than any place in the world. While perhaps that isn't the case any more, the city still has huge numbers of *corporate headquarters and shopping centers. .

Fact is, I just don't know how one would go about verifying that the contention is still true.

I do know that every business district in the North Texas region, while most have a few large corporations based in them, have lots of small companies as their main stay business. At the same time, while they too also contain large warehouse distribution facilities, the numerous industrial districts that dot the area also have large numbers of corporate headquarters based in them. These will tend to have, in many cases, the incorporation of a small manufacturing plant, a warehouse, and home office in a single facility.

The clear evidence of this fact can be seen from space while looking at a Google map. What most don't understand is how a lot of corporate headquarters are based not just in the business districts that contain mainly office space, but also in the numerous industrial districts.

This is where the growth in North Texas mainly comes from. During times when office space is experiencing a growth cycle of five to seven years, these companies will expand, on average, about 25 to 30 percent. So, one would expect that a large amount of office space will need to be added approaching 25 to 30 percent as well. And figure this doesn't include relocations.

The problems the business districts of downtown Dallas, downtown Fort Worth, and Las Colinas are experiencing now is how they were all over built vastly during the boom of the late eighties.

Here recently, while the Las Colinas area has been booming for some time now, the growth didn't spurn any new construction. Instead, its large vacancy rate was whittled down first. It is just now beginning to add new construction.

So, as I said in my post, the construction of lowrise and midrise office buildings is nothing new in the North Texas region. What really benefits the area is how these small companies tend to out perform major corporations.

*The Dallas Morning News used to publish a top 200 major corporations in the paper once a year. Now that amount has fallen to a top 100 as many of those companies were bought up by larger companies.

Last edited by Gandhi the baby deer; 03-06-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 03-08-2014, 11:42 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,794,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi the baby deer View Post

The problems the business districts of downtown Dallas, downtown Fort Worth, and Las Colinas are experiencing now is how they were all over built vastly during the boom of the late eighties.
Uh, no... not FW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas