Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 12:51 AM

138 posts, read 513,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Its all right here...............//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ml#post2297866
So you don't like Austin because it is too much like your own city? Fake and plastic? Really? I get a really different sense from Austin than that. Were you in Westlake? That area is definitely fake and plastic and definitely a lot like Dallas. I don't go there much, but most of Austin is way different. Pretty mellowed out if you ask me.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:56 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
For Austinites to come into a Houston vs. Dallas thread and proclaim Houston and Dallas are not real cities, but Austin is? Mmmkay.

NEXT!

Old 12-27-2007, 09:05 AM

138 posts, read 513,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
For Austinites to come into a Houston vs. Dallas thread and proclaim Houston and Dallas are not real cities, but Austin is? Mmmkay.

NEXT!
My point was not to suggest Austin is any more of a city than either Houston or Dallas. I do like Austin a lot better than either Houston or Dallas. But this really isn't about Austin. I gave my opinions about Houston & Dallas which I think were relevant to the thread. I haven't really heard any feedback on the content of that post though. I wonder why. Mmmkay.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:16 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
It wasn't worth responding to because it only showed you don't know Houston very well, or Dallas for that matter. You're free to have your opinion, however. No skin off my back. To each her own. We all know Austin likes to think its **** don't stink.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:21 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The cities of Houston and Dallas are denser than Phoenix but the Phoenix metropolitan area is denser than Houston simply because of geography. This is why Los Angeles is the densest metropolitan area among major metropolitan areas in the nation.
So why even bother mentioning it when you know that I could care less about metros?

Quote:
I disagree with A LOT bigger. While I do get the bigger city feel in Houston than I do Dallas, I think by saying A LOT bigger is overexagerrating it.
Well, you're free to think that.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogod View Post
Cosmopolitan is entirely a relative term, and mostly based in opinion.
No it isn't because it has a precise definition. A definition that explains the word well enough that no leeway is given. It's not open to interpretation. It's not possible for one to argue that Elgin, Texas is cosmopolitan. See what I'm saying?

There's no way that Dallas is more cosmopolitan than Houston. Many people could easily argue that Dallas is more sophisticated than Houston, but that's not the same thing as cosmo.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:42 AM

26 posts, read 149,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
No it isn't because it has a precise definition. A definition that explains the word well enough that no leeway is given...
Well, what is this precise definition then?

Old 12-27-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogod View Post
Well, what is this precise definition then?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cosmopolitan

Might I ask, what characteristics of Dallas make you think that it's more cosmopolitan than Houston?

Old 12-27-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
No, DT Dallas is at 26.5% vacancy rate, and Houston is below 10% now.
Downtown Dallas is at 19.5%, downtown Houston is above 10%.

See: http://recenter.tamu.edu/mreports/
On the Dallas and Fort Worth report check page 45, for the Houston report check page 36.

Some other interesting things to note in those reports:

There is a lot more office construction and renovation going on in downtown and uptown Dallas (> 1 million sq feet each) than downtown Houston (55,000 sq feet).

Dallas almost has the same amount of office space as Houston without including the Fort Worth side of the area. But it does have a much higher overall vacancy rate (almost double).

Office spaces is much more spread out in the Dallas area than in Houston, where it seems like they are more concentrated into a fewer smaller districts. That bodes well for mass transit in Houston.

Dallas and Fort Worth have about 5.7 million sq ft of office construction going on, whereas the Houston area only has about 3.6 million sq ft.

Downtown Houston has 30 million sq ft of class A office space, whereas downtown Dallas has 23 million. Uptown Dallas has 6.5 million.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cosmopolitan

Might I ask, what characteristics of Dallas make you think that it's more cosmopolitan than Houston?
What definition are you referring to?
"""1. free from local, provincial, or national ideas, prejudices, or attachments; at home all over the world."""?

Thats a vague definition, and I dont know how you can say its a "fact" that Houston is more of that than Dallas. I don't know that Dallas is more cosmopolitan than Houston, but I do know that its not a fact either way, its just an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas