Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 10:13 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times

Advertisements

I love LED lighting. Our whole house is operating on LEDs.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:55 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Default A city's 'walkability' drives real estate values

A city's 'walkability' drives real estate values

The George Washington University School of Business rates Houston as the 15th most walkable city in the nation if I read this map right. With 17% of our neighborhoods classified as "walkable" Dallas was 25th with just 9% of their neighborhoods classified as walkable. This seems to contradict what many posters in this thread have been stating over the past several months or years....

Old 06-17-2014, 02:13 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post

The George Washington University School of Business rates Houston as the 15th most walkable city in the nation if I read this map right. With 17% of our neighborhoods classified as "walkable" Dallas was 25th with just 9% of their neighborhoods classified as walkable. This seems to contradict what many posters in this thread have been stating over the past several months or years....

Walkability and the "desire to walk through horrible humidity" are two different things. I find many areas of Houston highly walkable. I also choose not to walk when there, due to 90 degree plus temps and humidity you can cut with a knife. I prefer to step into meetings neat, dry and pressed, not ragged out, wet and a sweaty mess.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Walkability and the "desire to walk through horrible humidity" are two different things. I find many areas of Houston highly walkable. I also choose not to walk when there, due to 90 degree plus temps and humidity you can cut with a knife. I prefer to step into meetings neat, dry and pressed, not ragged out, wet and a sweaty mess.
So how do these comments fit in with the Houston vs Dallas theme of this thread ?

Old 06-17-2014, 04:56 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
So, I take it you never walk in Houston during the 7-8 months of the year when the heat and humidity isn't an issue?

Old 06-17-2014, 06:17 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
So, I take it you never walk in Houston during the 7-8 months of the year when the heat and humidity isn't an issue?
and i guess he wasnt in Dallas three years ago when they had FOURTY CONSECUTIVE days with temperatures over 100*.. (71 days total over 100* in 2011)

Old 06-17-2014, 07:06 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
I was reading this article earlier today and I don't recall hearing of Garden Ridge's HQ move to DFW when it happened. My question is do you think that Houston's focus to be the nations energy capital keeps other companies not in the energy sector (example retail) in relocating to Houston? I ask this as well because of all the companies in Houston's Forbes 500 that recently came out, only 1 or 2 was non-energy related.

Garden Ridge is evolving into At Home | Dallas Morning News

Old 06-17-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I was reading this article earlier today and I don't recall hearing of Garden Ridge's HQ move to DFW when it happened. My question is do you think that Houston's focus to be the nations energy capital keeps other companies not in the energy sector (example retail) in relocating to Houston? I ask this as well because of all the companies in Houston's Forbes 500 that recently came out, only 1 or 2 was non-energy related.

I'm sure there are companies who have avoided moving to Houston or never considered Houston because of its image as Energy centric, but in the long run I doubt they would have accounted for nearly as much economic potential as the Energy companies who did move here specifically because it is so energy centric and want to be where the action is so to speak.

With that said in the case of Garden Ridge or Home in, I think that is a case of needing a fresh start in new surroundings. They were hot for a long time and did well here in their hay day as Garden ridge
but that day is over and being in a more of a marketing and retail environment may be what they need

Old 06-17-2014, 09:18 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Forecast: Dallas-area office market expansion to continue through 2017

By Steve Brown
stevebrown@dallasnews.com
10:47 am on June 17, 2014

Quote:
The Dallas area office market now has the “highest rent growth expectation in 16 years,” according to a new report from accounting giant PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.

PwC’s second quarter real estate investor survey predicts that the Dallas office market will have four years of continued expansion. The positive outlook for the local office market stretches through 2017, according to the new report.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:37 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post

That's an interesting question. Honestly, I think that Texas is such a large state with such small differences between services offered in the large metro areas (at least from an outsider's perspective) that companies tend to move where they can best interface with others in the same industry. Most (not all) industries significantly benefit from the information-exchange that happens when you have a critical mass of companies doing work in the same "space".

So as far as the question of has Houston's energy-centric reputation has slowed further expansion in other industries, I'd say indirectly it has - simply due that other Texas metros have stronger ties at this point to other industries than does Houston and can better leverage that to attract new companies in those other industries.

Has that hurt Houston? Not really imo - Texas is too big to have only one game in town and each metro has its specialties - the combination of which all drive the state economy. While I would like to see Houston diversify further from energy I think that unless it offers a specific, obvious benefit to non-energy companies that cannot be found in other metro areas in Texas, the majority of non-energy companies will probably choose other metro areas in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas