Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 01:47 AM

2,931 posts, read 5,278,932 times

Advertisements

Memorial Herman tower is probably one of the most ugly buildings I've ever laid eyes on. But it does look cool at night with the soft blue shooting into the sky!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:19 AM

4,440 posts, read 6,320,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Memorial Herman tower is probably one of the most ugly buildings I've ever laid eyes on. But it does look cool at night with the soft blue shooting into the sky!
This building always reminds me of the Megalon monster from the old Godzilla movies.
lol

Old 04-13-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
One of the many monstrosities in Houston.
I do like the amount of buildings in Houston, but good lord they have some ugly architecture there.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 AM

[quote=dallasboi;29088275]uhh what??

Dallas Skyline 2012 - Bing Images

I love the residential density that backs up to downtown. Look at that build-up in the foreground of this pic. very cool.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:07 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,467,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Houston has the ugliest residential tower ever built too. I couldn't find a picture of it because i don't know the name of it. Its the building in Uptown thats tall, skinny, beige and absolutely NO windows on the entire back side of the building. Who allowed this to happen?!?...Could some one post a picture of it? Its Horrendous at best.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 AM

6,294 posts, read 7,518,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I do like the amount of buildings in Houston, but good lord they have some ugly architecture there.
Watch out here come the LIST! One thing I notice right off the bat is that DFW area architechural schools lag far behind the rest of the state in quality. Whats my point? The better architectural scools will produce the best architechure.

2013 United States Best Architecture Schools

1.Harvard University
2. Columbia University
3. Yale University
4. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
5. Cornell University
6. Southern California Institute of Architecture
7. University of Virginia
7. University of California, Berkeley
9. Washington University in St. Louis
10. University of Cincinnati
11. University of Michigan
11. University of Texas at Austin
13. Kansas State University
14. University of Kansas
15. University of Pennsylvania
15. Rice University
15. Princeton University
18. Iowa State University
18. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
20. Clemson University
20. Savannah College of Art and Design

Top 20 Architecture, Undergraduate
  • 1. Cornell University
  • 2. Southern California Institute of Architecture
  • 3. Rice University
  • 3. Syracuse University
  • 5. California Polytechnic State Univ., San Luis Obispo
  • 6. University of Texas at Austin
  • 7. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
  • 7. Rhode Island School of Design
  • 9. Iowa State University
  • 9. Auburn University
  • 11. Pratt Institute
  • 12. Carnegie Mellon University
  • 13. University of Notre Dame
  • 13. University of Oregon
  • 13. Boston Architectural College
  • 16. University of Southern California
  • 16. Cooper Union
  • 18. Pennsylvania State University
  • 19. University of Arkansas
  • 19. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
It is not until you get into the landscapping schools that DFW area schools start to excel, which makes since knowing that you have a lot of barron natural landscape to cover up..... 2013 United States Best Architecture Schools | ArchDaily

Old 04-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Houston has the ugliest residential tower ever built too. I couldn't find a picture of it because i don't know the name of it. Its the building in Uptown thats tall, skinny, beige and absolutely NO windows on the entire back side of the building. Who allowed this to happen?!?...Could some one post a picture of it? Its Horrendous at best.
That building was supposed to be a twin tower that was never built because of the economic downturn. I don't know if the other tower which would have hidden the side with no windows will ever be built.

On a serious note. dallasboi you spend way to much time not only thinking about your rivalry with Houston, but you actually take trips to investigate, you drive around the city looking for any nook and crannie that you can spin to suite your point of view. Take some advise, relax, pop a chill pill if you are prescribed on them, because you are way too obsessed. I understand you feel overwhelmed, that's because you are. Houston is the superior city in just about every category save luxury shopping.
I blame the DFW powers that be, for setting you up like this. They fill you guys with false hope knowing all along that DFW in the long run cannot possibly keep up with the more important big brother that is this states premier city.

Have a nice day

Old 04-13-2013, 11:28 AM

2,931 posts, read 5,278,932 times
Quote:
That would be the mercer tower! And yes, I am very angry at all these architects that Houston is bombarded with that design the ugliest structures. Some body must really have it out for Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I understand you feel overwhelmed, that's because you are. Houston is the superior city in just about every category save luxury shopping.
I blame the DFW powers that be, for setting you up like this. They fill you guys with false hope knowing all along that DFW in the long run cannot possibly keep up with the more important big brother that is this states premier city.

Have a nice day
Too funny!

Old 04-13-2013, 12:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,857,465 times
Default This topic is SO yesterday!

Enough already! Could you find any more similar two cities? Similar population numbers, similar demographics, similar politics, etc.

The only notable differences are locations within the state (Dallas closer to the Oklahoma border and Houston close to the coast) and that Houston gets more rainfall so is a little more green/lush.

They are basically on the SAME importance level. The below settles it on that.

/thread.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Global City Competitiveness Index: In 2012, the Economist Intelligence Unit (The Economist Group), ranked the competitiveness of global cities according to their demonstrated ability to attract capital, businesses, talent and visitors."

Rank City Score

1 New York City 71.4
2 London 70.4
3 Singapore 70.0
4 Hong Kong 69.3
4 Paris 69.3
6 Tokyo 68.0
7 Zurich 66.8
8 D.C. 66.1
9 Chicago 65.9
10 Boston 64.5
11 Frankfurt 64.1
12 Toronto 63.9
13 Geneva 63.3
13 San Francisco 63.3
15 Sydney 63.1
16 Melbourne 62.7
17 Amsterdam 62.4
18 Vancouver 61.8
19 Los Angeles 61.5
20 Seoul 60.5
20 Stockholm 60.5
22 Montreal 60.3
23 Copenhagen 59.9
23 Houston 59.9
25 Dallas 59.8

Old 04-13-2013, 01:53 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[quote=AK123;29107871]Enough already! Could you find any more similar two cities? Similar population numbers, similar demographics, similar politics, etc.

The only notable differences are locations within the state (Dallas closer to the Oklahoma border and Houston close to the coast) and that Houston gets more rainfall so is a little more green/lush.

They are basically on the SAME importance level.

AK, I know you are trying to split the baby and play for a tie (and thats nice of you), but that is so unfair to the potential that Houston has. If the shoe was on the other foot the powers that be in DFW would not have hesitated for a moment to leave everybody else in Texas, in the dust. This attitude seems to permeate the Houston mentality (at least what I see posted on CD) with a few notable exceptions.

What Houston can achieve is not detrimental to DFW and we are sister cities and will be forever, but we shouldn't put a limit on one just to spare the others feelings. The truth can hurt but once it is known it will set us all free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas