Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite type football?
Professional 12 24.00%
College 29 58.00%
High School 9 18.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:57 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,624,701 times

Advertisements

[QUOTE} Originally Posted by atxcio
Not to worry, Texas is in the top 10 this season:

College Football Polls - CBSSports.com 120, BCS and AP Top 25

Solytaire wrote: Whew!! thanks atxcio...close call though...Unfortunately, although the AP has Texas tied for #10 (which I can accept)...the BCS has Texas at a ridiculous #19!! [/quote]

I decided to move y'alls comments over here and start a new thread on a good topic, and a poll to go with it.

Football, after all, is a Texas passion!

I too am a 'Horns fan, and have been since Day One! I confess to not being all that big a fan of the university at large anymore (which I have heard labeled "Berkeley South" LOL), but will give the Hook 'em Horns sign and sing The Eyes of Texas with the best of 'em!

But anyway, as we all know, it ain't how we start in the polls, it is how we finish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:41 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,522,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
[QUOTE} Originally Posted by atxcio
Not to worry, Texas is in the top 10 this season:

College Football Polls - CBSSports.com 120, BCS and AP Top 25

Solytaire wrote: Whew!! thanks atxcio...close call though...Unfortunately, although the AP has Texas tied for #10 (which I can accept)...the BCS has Texas at a ridiculous #19!!
I decided to move y'alls comments over here and start a new thread on a good topic, and a poll to go with it.

Football, after all, is a Texas passion!

I too am a 'Horns fan, and have been since Day One! I confess to not being all that big a fan of the university at large anymore (which I have heard labeled "Berkeley South" LOL), but will give the Hook 'em Horns sign and sing The Eyes of Texas with the best of 'em!

But anyway, as we all know, it ain't how we start in the polls, it is how we finish! [/quote]

College football all the way, by the way can't wait to see the aggies beat TU for the 3rd straight year this year. I think both of us will beat Oklahoma though! As an A&M alum, I don't like the horns, but I do respect them.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:45 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
I don't think the Aggies will win again this year (unless Colt is "hurt" again), but I am very interested and excited to see how their new coach will do.

Go, 'Horns!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,190,704 times
I would say college but it's been tough to have fun at SMU (my alma mater) games. I was there for the wonderful Mustang Mania/Pony Express days in the Southwest Conference. Since the SWC was broken up by greed and our 'death penalty' - it's been hard to be that enthusiastic.

The Cowboys were bought by an Aggie (first blow -- sorry aggies) then he sells the team to this hick who treated Tom Landry like dirt - his tacky antics turn me off. The final blow, he pulls the wool over Arlington taxpayers and is moving them to Tarrant County. Plus the players are not classy like the old days.

So, I have to go for high school - Go Woodrow Wilson Wildcats!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:53 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,624,701 times
Quote:
College football all the way, by the way can't wait to see the aggies beat TU for the 3rd straight year this year. I think both of us will beat Oklahoma though! As an A&M alum, I don't like the horns, but I do respect them.
Well, naturally we are on opposite sides of the field (pun intended) when it comes to the Aggies and Longhorns. BUT...I definitely agree with College football as a preference.

One thing is that "state pride" element, that just doesn't really exist in pro. The color and the icons and all.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:19 PM

808 posts, read 3,650,601 times
As a member of the Mustang Band, I have to give my vote to college football - especially games involving my beloved SMU! Sure, our team is painful to watch at times (such as the Rice game last year, in which one of our DBs picked off a pass and had an open field to the endzone, only to DROP THE BALL at the 20 yard line), but those guys out there are Mustangs, just as I am.

The pageantry, the loyalty, and the tradition separate college football from professional. I also love high school football, but, as a college student, I don't get much of an opportunity to go to those games anymore.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 6 days ago)

52,713 posts, read 48,019,066 times
I really like all three levels, actually. My brother graduated from UT, and I've been a 'Horn fan ever since. I grew up watching the Cowboys and am still a fan, but not as intensely as I used to be. But Wade Phillips is the head coach, and that's reason enough for me to root for them. And I don't have to tell you about how great our high schools are, and I've developed some new favorites there. In a short while, I'll be making plans for what games I'll attend this fall. But my newest passion the last few years is Houston's new pro team, the Texans. They're not really new anymore since they are in their seventh year in the league, but they had a few bad years and poor drafts a few years ago, and they went out and got former Aggie and Denver Bronco offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak to be the franchise's second head coach. He is now in his third year in Houston. So far, he's done well for them and expectations are running high in H-town this year. It's going to be a lot of fun. And I privately root for the Houston Cougars, who are my other favorite college team. They're in a different conference than the Longhorns, so I can do that.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:55 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,621,696 times
I was very into high school football when in high school (and years prior).
My oldest brother is an Aggie and I went to a couple of games and enjoyed it, but didn't just die for it.
I went to community college so nothing clicked there for me either.
As a young adult I jumped on the Cowboy's bandwagon for years...until Jerry Jones did his damage(agreeing here with Lakewooder there).

Now I have a daughter that just graduated from UT and was fully into all their sports so UT football was a must (and still will be).

But....now she's going to be teaching high school math, so I guessing we'll be back to high school football fans again....hahaha

I'm going to have to vote college though as it's the most often viewed by me. Hubby, on the other hand is for all of it!

Old 08-04-2008, 04:34 PM

189 posts, read 629,255 times
I LOVE college football! I am a Texas Tech fan and can't wait to see how good they play this year. I get excited just thinking about football season! (Esp. now that I am back in TX and can easily go to the games!) I didn't go to Tech, but my husband and everyone else in my family did. (I went to ACU... and football was not fun there.)

Old 08-04-2008, 06:40 PM

636 posts, read 1,917,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
he sells the team to this hick who treated Tom Landry like dirt - his tacky antics turn me off.
Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would agree with anything this guy says, but here it is. Couldn't care less about pro football any more; it's basically turned into nothing more than a "gangsta" version of the WWF. College football #1 for me, with high school a very, very close second. Also agree with "Go Wildcats!" PLANO Wildcats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas