Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 07:37 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times

Advertisements

i can ASSURE you that the Department of the Army would not make any kind of agreement like that. troop strength comes first. they could care less if a city located outside the post gates suffers economic hardship if the whole brigade deploys. Ft Stewart GA (where i spent last three years) had the whole 3rd Infantry Division deploy at the same time, and still do during each OIF tour, and Hinesville (the town) becomes a ghost town each time. they dont care! the businesses either shut down or the fast food places are just not open as late at nite etc........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko3 View Post
I remember hearing somewhere that the army had an agreement with the city of Killeen, and that agreement stated that the army agreed not to deploy both 1st Cav and 4th ID at the same time, because of the economic hardship the city faced during the first gulf war when both divisions were deployed and the city was left virtually abandoned. I hear they're both deployed again, which could explain the lack of traffic etc. Anyone else heard anything about this "agreement" that the army would be in violation of again (if it exists).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 13,332 times
Question Some info for your move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scilla View Post
We're moving to Ft. Hood.. this is our first move... Is there any advise on what to expect? Also.. I found a townhouse in Temple .. anyone know what the area is like?? Better yet has anyone heard of The Village at Medowbend??
If so what is that area like? I'm currently in NC and there's no way for me to check out the place until I get there to actually move in... Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
The population has been really growing and the traffic has gotten really bad, especially on I35 and 1980 which is the route you would be taking from Killen to Fort Hood.

The drive from Temple would be a daily headache and tough. Killeen which is much closer has a lot of housing and they are building more all the time. I have been here since 1995 but have never heard of Village at Meadowbend, nor has my husband (Retired Vet now - after 25 years of service). We live right over the hill from Fort Hood West. Hugh place....

I hope I have helped a little..

Ciawna

Old 04-26-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciawna View Post

Sorry, messed up on the highway in first response.
The population has been really growing and the traffic has gotten really bad, especially on I35 and 190 which is the route you would be taking from Killen to Fort Hood.

The drive from Temple would be a daily headache and tough. Killeen which is much closer has a lot of housing and they are building more all the time. I have been here since 1995 but have never heard of Village at Meadowbend, nor has my husband (Retired Vet now - after 25 years of service). We live right over the hill from Fort Hood West. Hugh place....

I hope I have helped a little..

Ciawna
Sorry, messed up on the highway in first response. The highways you would be using would be I 35 and 190....

Ciawna

Old 04-26-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
i can ASSURE you that the Department of the Army would not make any kind of agreement like that. troop strength comes first. they could care less if a city located outside the post gates suffers economic hardship if the whole brigade deploys. Ft Stewart GA (where i spent last three years) had the whole 3rd Infantry Division deploy at the same time, and still do during each OIF tour, and Hinesville (the town) becomes a ghost town each time. they dont care! the businesses either shut down or the fast food places are just not open as late at nite etc........
My husband retired from Fort Hood in 1998 and now works for the City of Killeen. He said he knew at one time there was an agreement however he did not believe it had anything to do with the hardship cities faced when many were deployed. He knows however that they (Killeen and Fort Hood) have an agreement that Killeen will help families with some expenses in the form of waivers.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:13 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciawna View Post
Sorry, messed up on the highway in first response. The highways you would be using would be I 35 and 190....

Ciawna
Why would she be using I35 to get from Killeen to Fort Hood, lol? Don't you mean 190 (CenTex Expressway) and 195?

Old 04-26-2007, 10:24 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,304 times
Now, you do take 35 to get from Killeen to Temple/Belton/Waco. The drive to Temple is very quick and simple when there's no traffic, but the drive to Austin (a very dreary and sleepy drive on Hwy 195 until you get to 35) can be hectic at times. 35 is actually not a complicated interstate, but you have some silly drivers along the way.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:36 PM

6 posts, read 41,646 times
i would also enter a vote for Copperas Cove. my fiancee teaches in killeen, but lives in copperas cove. her average ONE WAY commute is around 15-20 minutes (she lives in rural copperas cove). also, housing is dirt cheap in some areas there.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:32 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Now, you do take 35 to get from Killeen to Temple/Belton/Waco. The drive to Temple is very quick and simple when there's no traffic, but the drive to Austin (a very dreary and sleepy drive on Hwy 195 until you get to 35) can be hectic at times. 35 is actually not a complicated interstate, but you have some silly drivers along the way.
Yep. That could change in a few years when they are finishes widening 195 which is 10 years overdue. The city is growing towards the south. Honestly, in about 50 years, I will not be surprised if Killeen and Florence run right along each other and it being only 10 minutes or so between the Georgetown making Killeen part of the Austin metro area. That's how fast the Killeen area is growing. There's around 115,000 people there now. Much faster than census thought it would grow whereas Temple is growing much slower than they though.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,207 times
Default Canadian heading South, looking for information

My husband and I are possibly moving into the Fort Hood area for a two year posting (Canadian Forces + US Army training partnership) starting in May/ June 08. I am trying to do some homework in advance on the area.

We are planning to rent a townhouse or apartment, want a nice, quiet family-oriented neighbourhood (though, doesn't everyone!) near Ft Hood, and we are OK with a 20-30 mile commute if necessary. I am also looking for volunteering activities in the community to keep busy with as I will not be allowed to have a work visa.

Also any good community and area info websites you can recommend would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-27-2007, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,181 times
Default Volunteering

Here's an early welcome to Central Texas. As far as volunteering, I would recommend you check out the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas. They have several locations and are always looking for great volunteers.

Another idea is to look into joining one of the local civic organizations like the Exchange Club or Optimist Club or Lions Club. They always have volunteer opportunities for different projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas