Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 11:00 AM

6 posts, read 29,893 times

Advertisements

Hi, there!

Please help me... I have a nursing job offer in Beaumont, Texas but I'm not quite sure If I'm going to accept it. Is it a nice place to live and work? How's the weather, transportation and crime rate? Please reply ASAP.

Thanks
Jotubs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2006, 09:38 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
You are quite in luck.......I am a critical care nurse in Beaumont. If you need real info you should talk to me or my wife(who came from Canada to Beaumont in 1994 to work as a nurse here). Send email to bobtxbass@aol.com and we'll get together on the phone. It is just to much info to go over thru a keyboard format as I just finished my second 12 hour + shift and I'm ready for some sack time.

So, tell me where you are thinking of migrating from? That is dependent on getting a succinct answer. We actually live about 45 miles north od Beaumont and I commute in to work. I feel you are considering my hospital which recruits quite widely.

Take care,
Bob and Cherie

Old 08-30-2008, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 19,712 times
Good hospitals! Especially Memorial Herman Baptist where nursing care is outstanding.
Schools very good and excellant private schools. Climate in summer humid and 96.
Very little cold weather and a lot of sun. Abundent and affordable housing, good buyers market now.
People very friendly. Crime rate typical for a city this size.
I have lived all over the U.S. and world and came back to Beaumont to live. I was raised in this area. You will be happy with this area which is family orientated.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 14,731 times
I am from Houston, I have been in Beaumont since January 2010. I am amazed that Beaumont has as much crime as it does. Houston is big enough for the crime it has but Beaumont is to small for this much crime.
It seems there is a crime being commited on every corner. I know I am at risk in Beaumont. I felt much safer in Houston.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:13 AM

50 posts, read 243,184 times
Looking at the crime index here at City-Data Beaumont's crime rate is about the same as Houston's, but it has been dropping every year since 1999. Four murders in one weekend does change one's perception of crime even when the crime rate keeps dropping.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:36 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
Bad, bad climate. Its unpleasant year round basically because of the high humidity. Bad racial problems in Beaumont, the city is literally split along racial lines by the highway. Lots of pollution and the area is a cancer magnet.

If you live there I will pass on some advice given to me by a plant manager there who presumably knew what they were pumping out. Live well beyond the tree line North of Beaumont. The trees act like a filter for all the muck that the plants are emitting.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:47 PM

50 posts, read 243,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Bad, bad climate. Its unpleasant year round basically because of the high humidity. Bad racial problems in Beaumont, the city is literally split along racial lines by the highway. Lots of pollution and the area is a cancer magnet.

If you live there I will pass on some advice given to me by a plant manager there who presumably knew what they were pumping out. Live well beyond the tree line North of Beaumont. The trees act like a filter for all the muck that the plants are emitting.
Why do you keep bringing up that myth about Beaumont being a cancer magnet again?

Old 08-05-2010, 04:33 PM

73 posts, read 218,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rho4452 View Post
Good hospitals! Especially Memorial Herman Baptist where nursing care is outstanding.
Schools very good and excellant private schools. Climate in summer humid and 96.
Very little cold weather and a lot of sun. Abundent and affordable housing, good buyers market now.
People very friendly. Crime rate typical for a city this size.
I have lived all over the U.S. and world and came back to Beaumont to live. I was raised in this area. You will be happy with this area which is family orientated.
I agree with good hospitals. I have many friends who work as nurses at Memorial Hermann, and say it is a good work environment.
However, I have no clue what you are talking about with good schools. The public schools in Beaumont are a mess. I grew up in Beaumont and would never choose to put my own family through living there unless I absolutely had to. There are some good public elementary schools, but after that it just gets downright shoddy for the most part. The private schools are much better from what I've heard, but I don't have any experience with them personally.
The crime rate has been dropping with the exception of the aforementioned recent murders.
I will say that if you have young children, this place is NOT family oriented. When I grew up my friends and I called it "Boremont." There are not a lot of things for kids or families here, although they have been working to improve the public parks. Also, The Art Museum hosts some good family events. After living in other areas of Texas that are very family oriented, I now know just how much Beaumont is lacking in that area.
It is also incredibly humid. If you're okay with humidity then it's fine. I think as far as climate, every place has it's ups and downs. I think the perfect climate is hard to find anywhere.
I suppose it wouldn't be the worst place to have to find yourself, but my friends who grew up there still refer to it as "the armpit of Texas."

Old 08-06-2010, 02:01 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centexguy View Post
Why do you keep bringing up that myth about Beaumont being a cancer magnet again?
A carcinogen is a known cancer causer and SE Texas is one of the areas of the country that releases the most of these cancer chemicals. Its not a relationship that is in question emit freaking carcinogens into the environment and more people get cancer.

Once a lot of the poor in the area get health care and their health problems are counted expect cancer rates in the area, which are already abnormally high, to go through the roof.

If I had to live in that polluted dump again I would live way into the tree line. Thats the best advice in this thread.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:33 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Orbius doesn't know what he is talking about. The cancer rate in Beaumont, Jefferson County is lower then it is in Houston and all of the counties around it. In 2007, the last year measured, it was lower then the statewide rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas