Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 02:39 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,590,914 times

Advertisements

I couldn't live in Texas. It's just to hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 03:09 PM

170 posts, read 598,384 times
As someone else restarted the thread, I'll add that I was born in Virginia and still love that state. I love NC, too. I moved to Texas in 1998 and after quite a bit of acclimatizing, grew to love it as well. We moved to Chicago for a residency program to try living in the north. Aside from missing some great friends, I can't wait to get out of here and back to Texas!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:36 PM

779 posts, read 2,246,095 times
I have visited north Dallas since the year 2003 up to now and I feel like I know the area very well. I just love going and want to cry every time I have to leave to go back to Tulsa, OK. I am currently in school majoring in automotive technology and working at a Honda dealer. In 2010, I plan to relocate to north Dallas and transfer to a Honda dealer and continue my life in the beautiful lone star state. This does not bother me but it is just mind boggling to me as to how many cars with Texas license plates I see in Tulsa, OK. It is just shocking to me. I love Texas and Texans but I wonder if they are relocating to Oklahoma, going to school, business, etc. but all I know it is the most common out of state license plate that I see. But yeah, I am praying that I get to relocate to Texas in August of 2010 after I graduate. I love the warm weather in Dallas and do not like the four season we have in Tulsa, OK. Just two years and my dreams will come true and this will be a permanent move. May God continue to bless Texas and Texans.

Last edited by autotech4dallas; 09-25-2008 at 07:46 PM..

Old 09-25-2008, 08:35 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Yep, I agree.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:57 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Then I guess it is a good thing you have never even lived in Texas. Have you even visited here for longer than 1 week.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:00 AM

75 posts, read 304,859 times
I left in '92 to go to grad school out of state and thereafter got a job in VA. At first, well for the first few years anyway, I talked about how great Texas was and would take every opportunity to point out how much better Texas was to anyone who would listen. Eventually I grew to call VA my home (it helps that I married here and had my children here) and I don't really want to leave. I still call myself a Texan and follow the Cowboys, and though it took awhile, now I call Virginia my home.
When I first left Texas, the thing that took the most getting used to is not being able to see the sky and the horizon...there are just sooo many tall trees here. A lot of the beauty of Texas is the big skies. I still love a big starry sky at night, watching a storm form on the horizon, and seeing for miles and miles to the next town. That you don't find that here.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:53 PM

779 posts, read 2,246,095 times
I know for a fact that I could live in Texas...I was over there this summer and it was hot, but it did not bother me. I just take necessary precautions when it's over 100 degrees and I make out fine. I just love the warm weather and dispise of Oklahoma winters (Even though I am use to them). I mean, we don't get "feet" worth of snow but we do get a good amount of accumulations every now and then (inches). We also get ice storms that are the worst. Losing power for a week and your house turning 40 degrees is no fun. But it is always nice to know someone who does have power and heat, when you don't. I can recall northeast Oklahoma's 2007 icestorm. Boy that was an experience. I know that Dallas does get cold and can get snowfall, as well as ice storms and it is warmer in the winter in Houston than is in Dallas but dude, I am just so infatuated with Dallas.

Last edited by autotech4dallas; 09-26-2008 at 08:27 PM..

Old 09-27-2008, 08:24 AM

336 posts, read 697,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaCo Mom View Post
That could just be a case of thinking the grass is always greener! I'm a native Texan too, left in 2000 at the age of 39 saying "Heck ya, I'm finally getting the chance to get the hell out of Dodge!" Thinking any place HAD to better than where I was and finally getting the opportunity to experience all 4 seasons. Well, it ain't all that it's cracked up to be. I've been gone 8 years and unfortunately it look's like it'll be a few more, but I'll be back home just as soon as I can!
This post scares me...we are soooo sure that we want to move to
Colorado...but we are native Texans....and I have asked my kids if they
think they will miss being here...one says yes...one is with a resounding
NO....my husband is disabled and I really think the change of scenery
will be good for him...he was a big outdoorsman before he became disabled, I think he would love watching all the wildlife right outside our door.... but we have never lived in an area where it snows and so I am torn as what to do...

Old 09-27-2008, 10:25 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,683,952 times
We moved from Texas to Colorado and stayed for nearly 6 yrs. We moved back, mainly due to having a baby and no family nearby. It is beautiful though, and lots of neat little towns and interesting history, mainly based around mining. Winter is long though but not too gray. Spring is when things get messy and slushy. One thing to think about though when you mention watching wildlife, etc...If you live IN Denver you won't see a lot of things like Deer roaming around. If it is a really dry season or the animals in the hills can't find food, they will wander down into town via the greenbelts looking for it. Elk are as numerous as mospuitos so be careful driving around because they can get in the road and they won't move. Don't be too aggressive either, they have been known to charge cars (seriously). With more people moving into the foothills, mountain lion territory is being encroached on so you must be aware when hiking, mountain biking, or jogging. When we lived there, there were always at least 2 or 3 attacks every year. Also, wildfires. We lived there during that massive arson fire set by the angry park ranger lady. It really was hard to breathe and ashe always got in the house and it was everywhere in the City and the fire didn't even reach Denver. Also, keep in mind that if you live far enough away from any sizeable town that grocery shopping or clothes shopping is a day trip. Bring a cooler so frozen things don't melt before you get back home. I'm playing Devils advocate with this, but it's just a way to look at the flip side. Really, the good outweighs the bad, but one thing that I'm being dead serious about is how native Coloradans feel about Texan and Californian transplants. Most of them hate you. They don't know you, but they don't care. Get your plates changed over asap. Be prepared for some ribbing from people. Much of what I got was relatively mild, but I did hear some horror stories.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:30 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Not all of us. Some of us don't mind living here, but we don't think it's heaven on earth either. Houston is pretty much my favorite part of Texas, and I'm barely liking it these days, for a number of reasons... mainly because it's in Texas. But I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the state. That's saying something.
It says your missing out on alot of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas