Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 01:44 PM

7 posts, read 12,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
As a native West Texan, leaving Texas was one of the hardest decisions I ever made, but I left last year...and I will have been here in southern New Mexico a year this coming Monday.

If I ever come back to Texas, it will be to WT once again, but in Alpine/Fort Davis/Marfa.....mountains are a must, and I don't plan to ever live where I cannot see them again.

I love to ski during the winter and see mountains every day, and that isn't possible in TX.

TX is just plain HOT, and I have gotten really, really sick of the hot weather after a lifetime (55 years) of it!

I am only as close to Texas as I am because I still have to check on elderly parents and such. It's a lot easier at 400 miles than it would have been at 800+ miles.

It's hot where I am, but it is usually cooler than WT, and the nights always cool off, much more than even WT ever did. It's also a lot drier.

I'd shoot myself before I'd live any farther east than the Alpine area now.

The climate of three-fourths of the great state of Texas just plain sucks as far as I'm concerned.

What is great about Texas is that it has something to offer everybody..anything from desert/mountains to lush piney woods! Once my skiing days are over, I may well return to WT....it does tend to call me home some days, LOL!!
Well.. where are you now,,, cathy?? I feel the same way as you do/did,, except I preferred Colorado. The heat was the reason I left Tx,, 3 times,, actually,,, and now I'm back,, against my will,, taking care of the parents in central tx. Oh how I hate texas summers! The winters are the best. My ideal is to live in tx in winter,, and the MTNS in summer..now, as to Ft Davis,, id take that ANY season!

Last edited by JanetA970; 04-28-2009 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: addressed wrong poster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 02:07 PM

17 posts, read 61,801 times
I love Texas, it's fun hanging at the state line and shooting at cars with out of state license plates.......

Old 04-28-2009, 03:22 PM

468 posts, read 1,216,694 times
I just got here (Austin), though if I leave, it will be due to allergies. Or to head to silicon valley again for the biz opps. Otherwise it seems like a fine state to me for far! (Other than the obvious: no pacific ocean.)

Old 04-28-2009, 03:32 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,795,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetA970 View Post
Well.. where are you now,,, cathy?? I feel the same way as you do/did,, except I preferred Colorado. The heat was the reason I left Tx,, 3 times,, actually,,, and now I'm back,, against my will,, taking care of the parents in central tx. Oh how I hate texas summers! The winters are the best. My ideal is to live in tx in winter,, and the MTNS in summer..now, as to Ft Davis,, id take that ANY season!
I hear you on the Central Texas heat--and top it off with the humidity!! Sis lives just south of Austin, and I do get down there from time to time.

Things are beginning to slowly deteriorate (elderly parent issues) over time, so it's a good thing I am as close as I am. I'm in Central NM--Alamogordo, 90 miles north of EP. It's not quite as hot as what I left, but....not as cold as I prefer, either. The climate is much like Alpine-Ft Davis.

I also just got back from a trip to Alpine/Ft Davis/Big Bend, and I'm feeling a very strong pull back. But I'm going to give it 6 months to a year before I make any more moving decisions. I'm beginning to think that two places would probably be the way to go, but I'm just not sure I want the headaches/hassles/expense of more than one home.

I miss good Tex-Mex food and a few other things. The farther north you go, the blander the food gets, and I get tired of always having to cook if I want good food. The restaurants here are so bland!!!

I'm looking at CO also, with half the year there and half the year in Alpine/Ft Davis.

So I guess we'll see. I really don't think I can handle the traffic, wall-to-wall people and congestion of any of the CO front range cities, though.

Where in CO were you?

Old 04-28-2009, 03:47 PM

6,006 posts, read 3,710,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecos_Drifter View Post
I love Texas, it's fun hanging at the state line and shooting at cars with out of state license plates.......

Old 04-28-2009, 03:47 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,243,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSmartHippies View Post
I just got here (Austin), though if I leave, it will be due to allergies. Or to head to silicon valley again for the biz opps. Otherwise it seems like a fine state to me for far! (Other than the obvious: no pacific ocean.)
that gulf down there is kinda nice, warm water you don't get from the West Coast. The rest of the state, to me, is a throw away. Im in AZ now, and I hope Texas is successful and succeeds from the union.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:58 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,937,413 times
I left Texas (Irving Native) because of my military career (Air Force). Oddly enough, after I enlisted and did basic training and tech school, the Air Force sent me all the way to Carswell AFB in Ft. Worth! After that, I went the United Kingdom for three years and then was sent all the way to Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls! Stayed there for five years and then was sent all the way to San Antonio! Dagdabit, I joined the AF to see to world. Finally, my last stop of my 20 years was spent in Colorado Springs where I stayed after I retired. Love it here. I did get to go to lots of places on temporary duty during my 20 years, but I wanted to live in other countries, not just visit them. Oh well. Despite living in Colorado for the past nine years, Texas will always be home...but I don't miss the heat.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:10 PM

72,817 posts, read 62,160,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I hear you on the Central Texas heat--and top it off with the humidity!! Sis lives just south of Austin, and I do get down there from time to time.

Things are beginning to slowly deteriorate (elderly parent issues) over time, so it's a good thing I am as close as I am. I'm in Central NM--Alamogordo, 90 miles north of EP. It's not quite as hot as what I left, but....not as cold as I prefer, either. The climate is much like Alpine-Ft Davis.

I also just got back from a trip to Alpine/Ft Davis/Big Bend, and I'm feeling a very strong pull back. But I'm going to give it 6 months to a year before I make any more moving decisions. I'm beginning to think that two places would probably be the way to go, but I'm just not sure I want the headaches/hassles/expense of more than one home.

I miss good Tex-Mex food and a few other things. The farther north you go, the blander the food gets, and I get tired of always having to cook if I want good food. The restaurants here are so bland!!!

I'm looking at CO also, with half the year there and half the year in Alpine/Ft Davis.

So I guess we'll see. I really don't think I can handle the traffic, wall-to-wall people and congestion of any of the CO front range cities, though.

Where in CO were you?
The weather wasn't why I left. It gets very hot in Texas, but I can put up with Texas heat better than Georgia heat. Georgia heat is much more humid than Texas heat, not to mention no breeze unless a storm is coming. I lived in the Dallas-Ft.Worth area, so I guess that could make a difference.

I left because my family moved. We moved to the Seattle area, which is one place I like. Texas has alot as well.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:03 PM

157 posts, read 328,173 times
I'm considering a move out of the northeast and seriously looking at Texas. I cant stand living in a blue state anymore. I like the 'politics' of Texas not to mention the 'Texas Spirit'

One thing puzzling me on this thread is all the talk of the weather. Most people didnt mention what part of the state they were from and it seems to me the climate is very different across the state. From the research I have done it looks like the panhandle (Amarillo, Lubbock area) is nothing like southeast Texas (Houston area) So when people say they couldnt take the climate, what part of the state are you from? Just how long and hot is it in the summer in different parts of the state.

I cant stand humidity and I visited relatives in Houston a couple of times in March and Feb. I felt the humidity as soon as they open the door on the plane!! Geeze.......how do you people live there???

Old 05-03-2009, 01:18 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,766,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
that gulf down there is kinda nice, warm water you don't get from the West Coast. The rest of the state, to me, is a throw away. Im in AZ now, and I hope Texas is successful and succeeds from the union.
Then we would really have to step up the border patrols.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas