Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:03 PM

221 posts, read 993,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
The only reason I would listen to the Dixie Chicks is because of their comments and willingness to stand by them. When they wore FUTK shirts, it sealed the deal. They captured a new fan base, leaving the ignorant masses behind, which is fine by me.

What I find funny is the people who criticize them for their views, but latch on to people trying to make a buck off of hatred like Toby Keith. Bravo Dixie Chicks and Green Day and others who question blind patriotism... it's a disease that should be erradicated with education.
I just do not get the left.

No, actually, I do.

When Natalie whomever, GreenDay, Barbra Streisand, Clooney, Michael Moore, the rest of the "Hollywood community" say, "We hate GWB, we hate the right, we hate the war, we hate those who fight it (but, ya know, not in public, 'cause our publicists tell us that's a no-no!!), we hate being Americans, 'cause we have caused EVERY SINGLE MISERY in the world (although we live like millionaires, we'll never leave, ha ha!)- that kind of speech is "enlightened, well-thought-out, deep, serious, correct, protected, well-crafted, illuminated, blah, blah, blah."

When conservatives talk, it's "Hate speech, a disease".
When libs talk, it's "Ooooh, profound!!!!!"

I've NEVER, EVER heard more hypocritical blind sheep comments than the ones I hear from the left. You wanna talk being brainwashed by a cause? Oh, my. Al Gore, anyone?????

Natalie whatshername said what she said. It wasn't profound. It wasn't interesting. Just her opinion. Whoopie. But she was anointed by the left as being the greatest of prophets. (I'd like her to try saying that to an audience at Fort Bragg, NC, or another military base. I'm thinking she'd get a rather different response.......

Toby Keith wrote a song (I thought was what he thought his Dad - who had died- would feel about 9/11) and that's blind patriotism? Oh, I forgot. HE cannot have opinions that differ from those of the Cause. Bad Toby.

If you are a sheep to the left's hatred toward their country, you're "enlightened".

If you choose not to drink their Kool-Aid, you're part of an ignorant mass.

Ah, gotcha. Makes perfect sense.

And I'm sorry about the divorce, as that is always difficult on kids. Hope they can stay civil.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:05 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times
well I remember when it was just Emily and Martie and a couple of other CHICKS. They were seen around Duncanville and asked to sing and play. They were totally different then and I thought it was so hokey. Many loved them and of course I saw the talent there but I just didn't like the larger than life cow poke image they had. When they added Natalie and the others left or were kicked out( kay don't know the story there) it changed completely. They all the sudden shed their cow poke image and were all the sudden MOD and COOL to so many! I took notice and felt that they needed the new look and was well done.
I also feel this too, I feel that the reason that Emily and Martie have stood by Natalie and her comments are due to that Natalie makes the CHICKS. If there is no Natalie, then the group would not be what it is. This is the truth of the matter. I believe that Martie and Emily are good musicians but the voice of them is Natalie. She is there bread and butter, she has the super diva voice.. if she wasn't the lead and they got someone else, even a wonderful singer, people would not go out in droves and buy their albums. It would be suicide.
Ok with that said, I never bought an album way back because at the time of their new inception, I only listened to contemporary christian but they were quite the talk around D VIlle. You had many that adored them and many that just didn't. Of course many were ashamed by Natalie Maines comment, that she was from Texas herself because back then, many people supported Bush and many in Duncanville for that matter.

I do feel badly for Emily. My bil knew of her and saw her around school and thought her to be a very talented nice person. He didn't share any classes nor was up close and personal, just knew of her being a pleasant person.

Last edited by stargazer; 08-10-2008 at 06:28 PM..

Old 08-10-2008, 06:43 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldiebutgoodie26 View Post
If you're referring to me, it's because you're confused in your political terms. There is no left and right... politics isn't best defined on a one dimensional axis, rather on a two. Do you favor economic freedom, personal freedom? What you define as the left are people who favor personal freedom, but not economic freedom. What you define as the right are people who favor economic freedom, but not personal freedom. I myself favor both economic and personal freedom... so the label of left or right simply doesn't apply.

Quote:
When Natalie whomever, GreenDay, Barbra Streisand, Clooney, Michael Moore, the rest of the "Hollywood community" say, "We hate GWB, we hate the right, we hate the war, we hate those who fight it (but, ya know, not in public, 'cause our publicists tell us that's a no-no!!), we hate being Americans, 'cause we have caused EVERY SINGLE MISERY in the world (although we live like millionaires, we'll never leave, ha ha!)- that kind of speech is "enlightened, well-thought-out, deep, serious, correct, protected, well-crafted, illuminated, blah, blah, blah."
It is protected... and that hasn't really come into question. The federal government hasn't really tried to squelch the speech of any of those people you named. But their statements do affect their careers, because some people don't like their message, others seek them out because they do. They should all be willing to accept the positives and negatives associated with their speech, just as they do for their art and lifestyles.

Personally I find it patriotic for people to question the status quo... to take advantage of their rights.

Quote:
Ignorance really speaks for itself. Artists who brand themselves as these huge patriots who fall in step with the hypocracy just to sell records don't stand out as making a profound statment. There are plenty of artists who may agree with our political direction, domestic and foreign, who don't try to sell records to the ignorant masses by talking about how violence against foreigners is the right thing to do. Take it one step further and look at the hypocracy of the genre of music targeting Christians with messages of violence and hate, and it's downright sad that some buy into it.

These are the same people that will never pick up a book and read about why our country is a target. The concept of blowback is foreign to them... but killing people because we're always right is the mantra. I simply can't respect ignorance...

Quote:
I've NEVER, EVER heard more hypocritical blind sheep comments than the ones I hear from the left. You wanna talk being brainwashed by a cause? Oh, my. Al Gore, anyone?????
Al Gore stands to benefit from his rhetoric more than almost anyone I can think of. He owns a company that sells carbon credits... essentially a mechanism for the guilt ridden environmentalists to line his pockets.

Quote:
Natalie whatshername said what she said. It wasn't profound. It wasn't interesting. Just her opinion. Whoopie. But she was anointed by the left as being the greatest of prophets. (I'd like her to try saying that to an audience at Fort Bragg, NC, or another military base. I'm thinking she'd get a rather different response.......
In your opinion it wasn't profound... perhaps because it was such an obvious statement. If the statement was said at a military base she may have encountered people who are told to follow a leader and ask few questions... but we as a population have a civic duty to ask questions. But to the ignorant masses, the words of Franklin and Jefferson have little meaning... if you don't pick up a book and learn our great history, you are that much easier to follow the political rhetoric with no questions ever asked.

Quote:
Toby Keith wrote a song (I thought was what he thought his Dad - who had died- would feel about 9/11) and that's blind patriotism? Oh, I forgot. HE cannot have opinions that differ from those of the Cause. Bad Toby.
Blind patriotism is what I see every day where people insist that we are always right, and never wrong. In the minds of the blind patriots, our CIA never overthrew foreign governments... our installation of dictators who oppressed their people had no impact on their view of our country, our trade policies have had no impact on the ability of others to eat, our foreign occupation of 140+ countries doesn't look like an empire.

By no means am I ashamed of our country, our people... but it's not hard to see the flaws in our past and present. We can bury our heads in the sand and pretend that our actions have had no impact on our present situation... or we can take steps to fix the problems.

Quote:
If you are a sheep to the left's hatred toward their country, you're "enlightened".

No... being ignorant of history and basic civics does make one part of the ignorant mass.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:17 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldiebutgoodie26 View Post

No, actually, I do.

And I'm sorry about the divorce, as that is always difficult on kids. Hope they can stay civil.
Great post!
I would love to be in the audience at a military base and have Natalie state her "opinions"! I'm quite sure she would be booed off the stage by all the servicemen!

I just wonder how many Americans felt the same way the morning of 9/11...If Bin Laden was standing in front of me on that day, I would surely put a boot up his A**. He (Toby Keith) was merely writing about how America took a punch blindsided and now it's time to defend our honor! So little Miss Natalie had a problem with the lyrics--well then--don't listen to the song. I have a problem with her mouthing off on FOREIGN soil about our government and our President! So you say, don't listen to her then. Guess what? I don't buy their music anymore! I don't understand why people don't perceive what she did on stage in London as wrong! She was totally out of line and she paid the price with the loss of many fans and being ostracized from Nashville. Too bad her bandmates had to pay the price as well.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:32 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
The only reason I would listen to the Dixie Chicks is because of their comments and willingness to stand by them. When they wore FUTK shirts, it sealed the deal. They captured a new fan base, leaving the ignorant masses behind, which is fine by me.

What I find funny is the people who criticize them for their views, but latch on to people trying to make a buck off of hatred like Toby Keith. Bravo Dixie Chicks and Green Day and others who question blind patriotism... it's a disease that should be erradicated with education.
What is this supposed to mean?? (they captured a new fan base, leaving the ignorant masses behind) Their fan base was country music fans--so now you're saying that people who listen to country music are the ignorant masses?? Please explain because that is how I'm interpreting your statement. I hope I'm wrong! And please tell me that the chicks FUTK shirts was a classy act?!?!? NOT!! That's what I call "ignorant"!

As for blind patriotism--let me just say this. We may not like our President, we may even think he is doing a terrible job, but it is still wrong to diss him on FOREIGN soil! Why don't people get that? As an American you should uphold the title!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:13 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
the dixie chicks have kind of move beyond Nashville to broader audience--what the C/W stations tried to do--sink their ship--just did not work
their fan base was too strong and they are just as or more successful after that dustup as before
Toby Keith wore a shirt with an anti-Chicks slogan--so it was tit for tat as far as I am concerned
Natalie only said what they all throught--watch the documentary about that time in their lives...

there was definite attemt by the radio stations to black-ball Dixie Chicks' songs which at the time had been played juat as any other popular C/W act was--then after the statement corporate pressure bore down on program managers at stations because they decided people did not want to hear them---WRONG
some people might not--but there were plenty of people filling their tour dates who DID want to hear them--
there were hearings before Congress about it and frankly the station managers and their owners lied about their purposes...
the Chicks earned FIVE grammys in 2007--and did not back down from their statement about the war...
so someone shares their opinions or can ignore it for the quality of their music...

Last edited by loves2read; 08-11-2008 at 07:21 AM..

Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
I agree--you cannot even begin to compare the chicks music with Charlie's music. It's like comparing apples to oranges. They are both talented in their own rights.

As for the Chicks/Bush debacle....I go to concerts and pay good money to hear artists sing...NOT get on their soap boxes and diss the POTUS. No matter what your feelings are about George W. ....you still should NOT go on foreign soil and diss the POTUS. It is an office and title to be upheld, esp on foreign soil! We may not like who's running our country but you should stand behind the title. It is the same as yelling at your mate in private and then going out in public and shaming him/her in front of others by yelling at him/her....you just don't do that.

Now, I know I am going to be flamed for this but this is how I feel about the Chicks, esp. Natalie and her big mouth. Shut up and sing---that's what you get paid for! If I want to hear someone diss the POTUS, I can turn on CNN and listen to all sorts of "know-it-alls". But I certainly don't want to listen to it when I am out on the town for a night trying to enjoy some great music.
Absolutely. VERY well said.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:34 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
the dixie chicks have kind of move beyond Nashville to broader audience--what the C/W stations tried to do--sink their ship--just did not work
their fan base was too strong and they are just as or more successful after that dustup as before
Toby Keith wore a shirt with an anti-Chicks slogan--so it was tit for tat as far as I am concerned
Natalie only said what they all throught--watch the documentary about that time in their lives...

there was definite attemt by the radio stations to black-ball Dixie Chicks' songs which at the time had been played juat as any other popular C/W act was--then after the statement corporate pressure bore down on program managers at stations because they decided people did not want to hear them---WRONG
some people might not--but there were plenty of people filling their tour dates who DID want to hear them--
there were hearings before Congress about it and frankly the station managers and their owners lied about their purposes...
the Chicks earned FIVE grammys in 2007--and did not back down from their statement about the war...
so someone shares their opinions or can ignore it for the quality of their music...
It's because they were kicked out of country music (rightly so)...they couldn't make any more money in Nashville....there rep was too damaged.

LOL, why should they stand by their comments when they're clearly wrong??? Badmouthing the President of the United States on foreign soil is absolutely beyond wrong (regardless of their feelings on the war).

We don't need musicians as politicians. Get up there and entertain us; keep your politics to yourself and sing....that is why we came to the show in the first place.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
What is this supposed to mean?? (they captured a new fan base, leaving the ignorant masses behind) Their fan base was country music fans--so now you're saying that people who listen to country music are the ignorant masses?? Please explain because that is how I'm interpreting your statement. I hope I'm wrong! And please tell me that the chicks FUTK shirts was a classy act?!?!? NOT!! That's what I call "ignorant"!
They left behind a large number of people who have consistently been incapable of thinking for themselves. People that hide behind an American flag instead of understanding politics and history. People who feel that supporting our troops equates to sending them off to build empires rather than using them for defense and not treating them as disposable pawns.

Quote:
As for blind patriotism--let me just say this. We may not like our President, we may even think he is doing a terrible job, but it is still wrong to diss him on FOREIGN soil! Why don't people get that? As an American you should uphold the title!
That's a ridiculous statement. This country was founded upon principles of civil disobedience. Someone's speech here or abroad is irrelevant... only latched on to by those that can't come to terms with history and politics beyond the surface.

The sentiment that as Americans we should pretend to be a certain way only solidifies my point that some people feel that we are always right in our actions as a nation, which only further alienates us in the world. Sure, most of what we do is for the right reasons... and we as a people are the most caring in the world (look no further than charitable contributions for proof), but admitting when we are wrong is a sign of maturity.

But as I said before, most people haven't picked up a book to read about our true history, or understand world politics... but that doesn't stop most from waving the flag saying how great we are as we invade and occupy foreign nations.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
We don't need musicians as politicians. Get up there and entertain us; keep your politics to yourself and sing....that is why we came to the show in the first place.
And that's for you to decide with your wallet... but plenty of people have confirmed that they either agreed with the statement, or could care less. Free market economics at its best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas