Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2006, 10:24 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katty View Post
I dont think people are not telling truths literally. It's just that many people don't want to be considered rude.. I hesitate myself when I write about my experience here, because I do not want to offend people, really. It's hard to say, hey, I hate your town, ya know.. This is many peoples home and they love it..
I think that Dallas has some redeeming qualities.. Here are a few. The thunderstorms are incredible and wonderful. The spring however short is glorious. The birds are great and many. I love the peoples accents. The older folks and farmers are red neck but the salt of the earth. The men open doors here, which is pretty amazing. The shopping is abundant and you must shop at Neiman's or your just not cool. People are very patriotic.
Good God fearing folks, however selfrighteousness is glaringly abundant.
Even the snooty Dallasites are really very funny and can be tolerated if in the mood. I really admire the areas interest in children and their well being from education to activiities, people seem to have strong family focus. This is truely refreshing. Kids are front and center as they should be..
It won't hurt my feelings if you don't like it here, I'm a native Texan and I don't care for the place. It's too hot and flat. But that doesn't mean it's not good for someone else, just not good for me. Most of the people are friendly and there great food and shopping and of course we have the Dallas Cowboys. I will always love them no matter where I move to.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:29 PM

216 posts, read 934,856 times
Weather, Bodacious BBQ, Pizza King and .............. the commute to work from any other state would be cost prohibitive.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:32 PM

16 posts, read 48,680 times
True, there is a place for everyone. Dallas and North Dallas are great places for the people that like it... I am sure.
If I had friends and family here and could figure out where the people go outdoors, I would probably like it more myself.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:34 PM

16 posts, read 48,680 times
Its a great place to fly in and out of.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:48 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katty View Post
They don't know why or any better!!!!
You will find all kinds of reasons for loving Texas from many that live there. Grant it, I want to leave the state, but I can still find some things that are pleasant as I stated in my post on this thread.

I do get tired of hearing though that Texas is the best place in the Union. There is just so much pride that goes along with living here as one might see from bumper stickers without even talking to the natives. My brother-in-law, a wonderful man who has gone to Heaven, was one of those people. It was irritating to say the least, but he only spoke of how he truly felt, I guess.

I like ILNC's attitude; she is one native that will be "more than honest" about many things undesirable pertaining to living here.

There are worse places for sure, but there are better as well.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:58 AM

216 posts, read 934,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjb View Post
I do get tired of hearing though that Texas is the best place in the Union.
This is actually one thing you will NEVER hear a Texan say.

Remember, Texas was basically a country of its own and (Good or Bad) is unique enough to still be thought of that way in the eyes of many. "The UNION" is pretty much those original 13 in the eyes of a Texan.

In all honesty, most of us love Texas because that is where we are. This is where we were planted, so this is where we've grown. I have lived in Southern California, Northeast Florida, and Northeast Texas. I have visited family or friends in California, Arizona, Wyoming, Kansas, Indiana, Tennessee, Chicago and Boston. I have visited many other locations around the country on vacations and other trips. All these places are wonderful, but they are not HOME.

I enjoy the simplicity of my Northeast Texas life, and the availability of Big City activities just a few hours away.

I enjoy the variety of people I come in contact with and the passion that Texans have for anything and everything thay care about (or just have an opinion about).

I am grateful for a wonderful school district for my children, a fantastic church in which to worship, and a community that has allowed me to safely and comfortably raise my children in a positive manner.

I love the hot and humid weather and the very low potential of natural disasters in my area.

I am also very fortunate to live in an area where a blue collar worker with no college education can make a good living, provide his/her family with a very comfortable lifestyle, and afford to send two children to college.

Texas is different. Texas is 5 or 6 states in one. Deserts, prairies, mountains, hills, forests, beaches, cities, towns, swamps. Hispanic, German, Cajun, Native American and every other cultural influence one can imagine. No comparison to the other places I've lived or visited.

Yep, Texas certainly is different. But Texas is home. I think I'll stay.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:04 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post

Remember, Texas was basically a country of its own and (Good or Bad) is unique enough to still be thought of that way in the eyes of many. "The UNION" is pretty much those original 13 in the eyes of a Texan.

In all honesty, most of us love Texas because that is where we are. This is where we were planted, so this is where we've grown. I have lived in Southern California, Northeast Florida, and Northeast Texas. I have visited family or friends in California, Arizona, Wyoming, Kansas, Indiana, Tennessee, Chicago and Boston. I have visited many other locations around the country on vacations and other trips. All these places are wonderful, but they are not HOME.

I enjoy the simplicity of my Northeast Texas life, and the availability of Big City activities just a few hours away.

I enjoy the variety of people I come in contact with and the passion that Texans have for anything and everything thay care about (or just have an opinion about).

I am grateful for a wonderful school district for my children, a fantastic church in which to worship, and a community that has allowed me to safely and comfortably raise my children in a positive manner.

I love the hot and humid weather and the very low potential of natural disasters in my area.

I am also very fortunate to live in an area where a blue collar worker with no college education can make a good living, provide his/her family with a very comfortable lifestyle, and afford to send two children to college.

Texas is different. Texas is 5 or 6 states in one. Deserts, prairies, mountains, hills, forests, beaches, cities, towns, swamps. Hispanic, German, Cajun, Native American and every other cultural influence one can imagine. No comparison to the other places I've lived or visited.

Well said about Texas!! Kudos to you for loving your state.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:19 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:

This is one Texan who does not say this is the best place, as amjb said I am very honest on how I feel and I don't like it here. I hate the heat and humidity I'm glad you like it here, but not every Texan does. And that's ok, that's why moving vans were made It does not fee like home to me.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:40 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,992 times
Quote:

That was beautiful. How long have you lived there?
To be from so many other places you have the market on knowing what other States are like. I myself have only lived in Calif. So I would take what you said very seriously. How bad can it be to live in Texas. I am sure there is something I will love about it and it won't be just BBQ.

Thank you for the information and the way you said it. Sooooo true. I think it has a lot to do with how old you are and where you want to be at this age.
We all have to think of that.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:13 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
I love Texas because:
We have cities that have small town charm. You don't get that in most states.
Cheap housing
It's the best place in the world to be a football fan.
It's the best place in the world for beef BBQ.
More friendly and helpful people than most places.
Home to three of the safest big cities in America (San Antonio, Austin, Ft. Worth).
We have an American born governer that people can understand whenever he talks and he wasn't elected just because he stared in Terminator.

Sure the weather may be a little out of whack everynow and then, but trust me, this is the best state to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas