Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 04:17 PM

50 posts, read 193,175 times

Advertisements

well i made my "dream" happen, or i tried to at least...i moved out to eagle pass and unfortunately i will be moving back so I can save up some money and go somewhere else. I have to say this Bellestar was right, there is discrimination here however, for me it is not racial, but on location. I cannot find a job to save my life, i have spoken with school districts, stores and god help me even fast food places. People take my application and say they will call me and never do. I have a degree and experience and it does not good here. I even had one person tell me that the company did not like to hire people that were not from eagle pass! That is actually the first question they ask is why did i move out here? Can't someone just leave where there were born and start anew? Apparently not here..

Well originally i wanted to move to El Paso, i have screwed that up. So does anyone know how hard it would be to find a job in El Paso and will people question me about moving like they have here? What is the best border town to live in? I am looking at El paso or laredo, but San Antonio might do just fine as well. I really don't want to live in Port Arthur anymore. Thanks...

Last edited by edward237828; 08-10-2008 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 05:00 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
yep, so those who doubted me, here ya go. it is not that easy down there. i have a girlfriend in Corpus Christi who cant seem to even get an entry level administrative job, because she aint bililingual.
and yes, i heard that question many many times "why did you move here?".
i have ONLY been asked that question here, from folks who i have gotten close to, who want to just learn more about me. never been asked that question in casual conversation or in job interviews. it's because folks actually do move here by choice. very few folks move to small South Texas towns just "out of the blue".

Old 08-10-2008, 05:19 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
We told you so...
Honestly, move to San Antonio. The economy there is really much better than the other places, and you will not see as much discrimination.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:55 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
San Antonio would be much less discriminatory. The small towns and the border towns especially can be very prejudiced against anyone who is not native, especially anglo. I've experienced it and am not being prejudiced, just sharing my experience.
San Antonio is much more liberal and after you get going and have your career started, you can venture out into those small towns to get to know them and maybe begin a network that will allow you to get into the inner loop of the towns and settle where you want.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:15 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,788 times
Well first of all, get away from border towns. It doesnt sound like its for you. So that would mean no El Paso & I wouldn't live in Laredo if it were free.

Go with San Antonio. Its a nice city & sounds like more of what you need.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:21 AM

291 posts, read 647,823 times
If you really want to move to a border city with job opportunities, the only good one is San Diego CA.

Regards!°

Old 08-11-2008, 12:45 PM

50 posts, read 193,175 times
haha, well thanks for the responses. I am bilingual and I am hispanic, but it's like someone before said, they ARE prejudiced against people that are not native...but i really wanted to live on the border though...

Old 08-11-2008, 08:54 PM

37 posts, read 114,888 times
Why in the world would you want to live on the border? If you do, try McAllen. I grew up there and moved to San Antonio as soon as I got out of college. Best thing I ever did. There are far more opportunites in a city like San Antonio.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:18 AM

291 posts, read 647,823 times
If you like to live in a city near of Mexico, try San Antonio is like you are in Mexico, only safer and cleaner

Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
FYI, they speak more english in Mexico City than the border towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas