Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking opinions on why people dislike Texas, pros and cons of Texas, reasons not to move to Texas, disgruntled transplants, unhappy Yankees

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:43 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearJammerOne View Post
Excuse me for jumping in here, but I have a vested interest in Texas myself. The thing about this thread that struck me was that even though I am from Colorado, I have made comments on the Colorado Page about the California Invasion into my state and I get reprimanded by the admin! My point is...if you are a transplant into Texas and don't like it there, or if you are even a native Texan and don't like it there...there is a simple solution. This is America, you can move away as quickly as you want! I personally love the Lone Star. Sure...it may not have the mountain beauty that we have, or the great elk hunting, but I admire Texas for the instilling of state pride in each resident. It would behoove other states to take that example and emulate it with its own citizens! If you aren't proud of where you came from, don't villify Texans for being proud...they have reason to be.
Nuff Said!
What if you are a fifth-generation native Texan who sees problems with the state and points out things that could be improved? Should we leave, too? Attitudes like this make Texas a laughingstock to the rest of the nation. And before you counter, I know so-called REAL TEXANS don't care what other people think and believe Texas is perfect in every way as is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 02:31 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
We're griping about Texas, but seriously, if I went to New York, Kansas City, L.A, or wherever, does anyone really think they wouldn't laugh me off the planet either? If I went to NY and started saying how great it would be if they would jump on the republican band wagon, Go to KC and start telling them how to improve their bbq (they have lots of bbq pride too), California...tell them the same sort of things I'd tell NY? It wouldn't fly with everyone there either.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Honestly, people who have been here for decades (or their entire lives for that matter) probably shouldn't post their experiences because they have no basis for things. And it does come off a bit one-sided, wouldn't you say?

Really, you gotta talk to people that have moved around a bit. And not moved around 30 years ago then retied here. I mean fairly recently, because places change. And traveling doesnt count. You cant get a feel for a place by only spending a week there.

You're making some major assumptions there. Many of the people that I've heard describe how friendly Texans are compared to other places have lived here, elsewhere, have moved here from elsewhere, have lived in several states and even several countries, and have not described the experience that you do.

Again, what you experience is colored by who you are, and, indeed, by our expectations. In a state that is known for its friendliness, if your experience is that most everyone is impatient and rude, you might want to look at what you're doing to elicit that response.

As for the mustard/mayonnaise/ketchup comment, that really sort of boggles me, too. I know lots of people who like one of the three, and some who like all three at once. No one's ever made an issue of that.

The Californian thing I think loves roses has pegged pretty accurately. We see the laws and the attitude in that state, we find it appalling, we don't want it hear, and "Californians" bear the brunt of that when they move here en masse and enough of them start talking about what's wrong with Texas - we don't, don't, DON'T want Texas to be Californicated.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
What if you are a fifth-generation native Texan who sees problems with the state and points out things that could be improved? Should we leave, too? Attitudes like this make Texas a laughingstock to the rest of the nation. And before you counter, I know so-called REAL TEXANS don't care what other people think and believe Texas is perfect in every way as is.
Well, I'm fourth-generation native Texas through all four grandparents (more on some lines - we were here before Texas was a Republic and fought to make it so), and I do find some things wrong here. Some of them are things that have changed for the worse with the influx of outsiders; some of them are problems we made up all on our own.

But if someone comes along and describes something that I've not seen living in several parts of the state, yes, I'm going to question it.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:52 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
"Believe it or not, Texans are the most tolerant people one will ever meet"....that is a bunch of bull...when I first moved to TX...people cut me down for being born in California, for living in other places I lived in, for putting ketchup on my damn hamburger...they said I was weird because I used ketchup instead of mayo...I could go on and on...now keep in mind all my experience was in SOUTH TEXAS...not the entire state...there are good people and bad people in every state......and I have done a lot of living and visiting of many states during my time...there is nothing wrong with being proud but thinking you are the best at everything it total bull s _ _ t. NO state is the best at everything. Every state has pros and cons.
I love Texas and I love Texas people, but I must tell you of my experience when I moved back here from Ohio. The first few weeks at work, most of the faculty was pretty cold to me. Then, one day, a teacher asked me why a yankee from Ohio moved to West Texas. I told her that I was born in West Texas and had simply moved back home. The next day, everyone was friendly to me! It really frosted me because I was the same person both days! That was many years ago, and I don't think that attitude is really prevalent now because so many have moved here from other states. But I saw first hand how some folks from outside Texas perceive some Texans.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:51 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I love Texas and I love Texas people, but I must tell you of my experience when I moved back here from Ohio. The first few weeks at work, most of the faculty was pretty cold to me. Then, one day, a teacher asked me why a yankee from Ohio moved to West Texas. I told her that I was born in West Texas and had simply moved back home. The next day, everyone was friendly to me! It really frosted me because I was the same person both days! That was many years ago, and I don't think that attitude is really prevalent now because so many have moved here from other states. But I saw first hand how some folks from outside Texas perceive some Texans.
Yeppers, I'll agree with this one. It's kind of like when my darling daughter worked at McDonald's and she was treated like trash by the arrogant and rude individuals that frequented McD's. When customers found out she was a student at Baylor U., their tones totally changed and they were very kind to her asking question after question about her life, what she was going to do when she graduated, et al. How very sad that this is true, but it taught my sweet daughter a great lesson about people and their shallowness.

When I told a fellow employee I was from California, he advised me not to spread that around. How sad again. I decided to mention just that, in a very sweet and funny way, when all the employees introduced themselves at a meeting. I believe I embarrassed the poor narrow-minded Texan, but what was really great is a lady from New York chimed in after I did and said, "I'm from New York and I know how do deal with Mr. so and so as I've worked with him for years." Of course, one would have to be there to truly appreciate the "meeting of the minds."

Old 08-20-2008, 03:54 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, that IS interesting, given that I live in Central Texas and have for some decades (while also living in other parts of the state), and my experience of it is quite different.

We do all, of course, bring a bit of ourselves to our experiences of areas, in Texas and elsewhere. No personal experience with others exists in a vacuum made up only of them and not us.
For the most part, that's quite a scream.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:07 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
wow i am kinda surprised about those perceiving Central Texas small rural towns as rude. i have been here a year and it is very much like the small North Texas towns that I have spent a good majority of my life in.
i have found the small rural Central Texas towns where I spend most of my time when I ain't at work...Lampasas, Gatesville, Kempner, Hamilton, to be very friendly, warm, inviting, cozy, down-to-earth.
love it here! will never leave!

Old 08-20-2008, 06:45 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You're making some major assumptions there. Many of the people that I've heard describe how friendly Texans are compared to other places have lived here, elsewhere, have moved here from elsewhere, have lived in several states and even several countries, and have not described the experience that you do.

Again, what you experience is colored by who you are, and, indeed, by our expectations. In a state that is known for its friendliness, if your experience is that most everyone is impatient and rude, you might want to look at what you're doing to elicit that response.

As for the mustard/mayonnaise/ketchup comment, that really sort of boggles me, too. I know lots of people who like one of the three, and some who like all three at once. No one's ever made an issue of that.

The Californian thing I think loves roses has pegged pretty accurately. We see the laws and the attitude in that state, we find it appalling, we don't want it hear, and "Californians" bear the brunt of that when they move here en masse and enough of them start talking about what's wrong with Texas - we don't, don't, DON'T want Texas to be Californicated.
I didnt say any of those things. I think you quoted the wrong poster.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:32 PM

412 posts, read 1,751,961 times
I am a 8th generation Texan and I have lived many, many, many places. California, New York, Florida, Washington etc. I have found that like every where and everything each place or thing has its pros and cons but since this topic was made especially about the cons I will as a 8th generation Texan that loves Texas tell you about them.
1.Ego's. Get over your self. I don't care how much of a whatever you think you are. Texans have tendencies to have dreadful egos. It really ticks me off.
2.Gossip. Texans in smaller towns tend to gossip about the dumbest most inmature topics I think I have ever heard of, we're not in Middle School anymore people.
3.Stubborn Hard Heads. Once again, get over yourself! I don't care what you did in your life or who you voted for. Get past your false pride.
4.Heat. Texas is very hot and after a while in the Summer some years I can't bare it.
5.Critical Pessimism. How dare you say anything about the appearance or experience of anyone just because they are slightly different and are not from the same place as you. Maybe instead of telling other people about how they should look and what they should do you should look in the mirror.
Those are just my top five and they are in no order. I have many more pet peeves about Texas but I feel that is a good start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas