Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking opinions on why people dislike Texas, pros and cons of Texas, reasons not to move to Texas, disgruntled transplants, unhappy Yankees

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:57 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times

Advertisements

-Way to conservative, like to an insane degree. Meaning you'll find locals everywhere that still think Bush is doing one hell of a job.

-People using the littering slogan "Dont Mess With Texas" out of context to try to appear tuff. Yeah, watch out.

-State flags EVERYWHERE. Its good to have some state pride, but damn. Take it easy.

-They do things the "Texas Way". Even if its the wrong way, doesn't matter. Its their way or the highway & they don't wanna hear sh*t from any outsiders.

-The road system & those god awful access road exits that are one-way making you backtrack to get to your destination.

-No good beaches really with oil rigs as the backdrop.

-Littering from ones car window while driving seems to be all the rage.

-Texas is in love with itself & super arrogant, but when you ask someone this they cant explain why exactly. It's just kinda ingrained into their heads at an early age.

How's that? No, this doesn't represent ALL Texans, but you all know there are a lot of them like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 05:40 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
yes, conservative and that's how i like it.
dont mess with Texas-yes we use it out of context and we are not trying to appear "tuff", we are!
about excessive state pride and Texans being in love with themselves and arrogant, it's hard to be humble when you're a Texan
as the bumper sticker says.....life is too short to not live it as a Texan
most folks who look down on Texas, they are just simply jealous...i say "don't be hatin', be congratulatin'!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
-Way to conservative, like to an insane degree. Meaning you'll find locals everywhere that still think Bush is doing one hell of a job.

-People using the littering slogan "Dont Mess With Texas" out of context to try to appear tuff. Yeah, watch out.

-State flags EVERYWHERE. Its good to have some state pride, but damn. Take it easy.

-They do things the "Texas Way". Even if its the wrong way, doesn't matter. Its their way or the highway & they don't wanna hear sh*t from any outsiders.

-The road system & those god awful access road exits that are one-way making you backtrack to get to your destination.

-Texas is in love with itself & super arrogant, but when you ask someone this they cant explain why exactly. It's just kinda ingrained into their heads at an early age.

How's that? No, this doesn't represent ALL Texans, but you all know there are a lot of them like this.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:06 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
most folks who look down on Texas, they are just simply jealous...i say "don't be hatin', be congratulatin'!"
Some may be, but I'd wager that most are not. The things you have outlined -very conservative, homophobic, regressive culture, narrow worldview- you seriously think most people are jealous of these things?

I'm starting to look down on Texas due to some of the attitudes about Texas being THE GREATEST STATE EVER in this thread.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:21 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Most of the folks that I know their politics (which isn't all of them, by a long shot, as we, as individuals, tend to figure that it's others' own business, just like religion and what they do in the privacy of their own bedroom) tend to be neither red nor blue but, like me, vote based on the individual issue and/or individual candidate, rather than toeing the party line. Which means we end up voting all over the map, sometimes. Goes along with that independent streak that got us here in the first place (or, rather, got our ancestors here).

I hear how conservative and homophobic "Texas" is and wonder just where the heck it is I've been living all my life, because the place that's described doesn't fit any of the places in Texas that I've lived in the past almost six decades. That includes growing up in East Texas as a preacher's kid, by the way, so you'd think I'd have been exposed to it. Are there people here (as everywhere) with those prejudices? Sure, there are - but they're not any more common or highly regarded here than anywhere else.

But, then, since people tend to make their own reality (what you expect is what you see), I probably shouldn't be surprised. There are people who come to Texas with a preconceived idea of what it is, and who are blown away by how much it ISN'T what they thought or were told. Then there are people who come here with the same preconceived notions who will see that even if it's not the reality, or will seek out those who reinforce those ideas and not see the ones who don't. That goes a long way towards explaining the disparity between what I see (and what other newcomers who love it here see) and the things that are unrecognizable to me having lived here all my life.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:14 AM

160 posts, read 638,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post

It might be due to my proximity to Mexico, but I am not seeing any of the extreme conservativism you speak of. But, even if it is there, I would gladly take an extreme conservative climate if it means the welfare leeches stay at the level they are at now. I feel it is way too much as it is, but if we were to be extremely liberal, I do not even want to think what the level of hand out seekers would be like. As much as I hate to side either direction from my typically moderate stance on things, this is one instance where I actually do believe that being conservative is much better than being liberal.

The slogan of 'Don't Tread On Me' is more in line with the context of the 'Don't Mess With Texas' slogan when it is used out of context from the original anti-litter campaign. Just as a rattlesnake will rattle for warning that you are too close to his domain, I think the phrase is used. You are approaching a point that a Texan feels is hallowed ground, and crossing it would escalate matters. It sure is a whole lot nicer than saying, "Feller, back yer posterior up, cuz yer pissin' me off now!"

I don't feel that we are any tougher than the rest of the crowd. We are still fragile (by design) creatures that cut, bleed, bruise and break just as easily as the next person. I do feel that we will stand up and defend what we believe in more quickly than most, though. Sorry if you have a problem with that one, but I consider it a very good trait to have.

The abundance of state flags flying all over the place is just a sign of patriotism. We adore our homeland, and this is just a testament to how much we cherrish the land we earned. Our forefathers fought against overwelming odds for this land. No other state in the country stood completely on its own, taking on a major military force from another country. Furthermore, no other state defended herself as her own sovereign nation without outside assistance for years. This is why you see so many Lone Stars flapping in the wind, and so many placed on the level with, not below, a Stars and Stripes. It was not a given right to the land or our independence, and we are not about to forget that.

We find a system that works, and that works the best for our needs, and we stick to it. We don't go around trying to fix something that is not broken. It is really a simple concept.

We also have perpendicular roads that intersect our interstate highways, interstates that are not built on grades meeting the U.S. Highway regulations, and so forth. Once more, we found a way that works the best for us, and our traffic flow, so we stuck to it.

Just think how much more you would be spending for a gallon of gasoline or diesel with out those oil wells off our beaches. I am not one to complain about gas prices, but I am also in the vast minority here. I believe even Florida wants to sacrifice some of her beaches unobscured views for off shore oil wells.

Littering the roadways from the car window is not just a Texas specific problem.

I would not say we are arrogant. We are just a proud people. Arrogance has connotations of pride with out the justifications to back it up. See the paragraph above pertaining to the state flags being flown. Texans are a proud people, with plenty of just reasons for the pride.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Beautiful post! I second that

Old 08-12-2008, 11:31 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
GoingHometoTX, I tried to give you some reputation for that, but I have to spread it around first. Admirable post - well said.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:38 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas
...down in South Texas, a totally different "climate" in more ways than one. i was SHOCKED by the amount of gays down there. i was exposed to more than i really cared to be exposed to. (in terms of conversations amongst coworkers, openly talking about their gay lifestyles, that is, about their parties and clubbing). and i was just not accustomed to that, since i am from small town rural North Texas in a county full of bubba rednecks, roughnecks, wildcats, ranchers. if there were gay folks there, let me tell ya, they SURE kept it in the closet! and there was definitely no one acting "overtly" homosexual...
People kept it in the closet there because they were afraid for their well-being and/or lives. Afraid some "bubba redneck roughneck wildcat rancher" would pull a Deliverance on them when no one was around. Afraid if they didn't act like the preacherman said they should act, they would be shamed to psychological abuse while the finger-pointers banged their neighbors' spouses & humped their bibles for salvation. That said, if you don't think there are any Brokeback Mountain style ol-boys where you live, you're officially on Cloud 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I'm starting to look down on Texas due to some of the attitudes about Texas being THE GREATEST STATE EVER in this thread.
Tip: If you hang around the Texas Forum here for too long you may find yourself . No kidding. This forum is useful as it gives us some insight as to what goes on in "the real Texas," as some individuals here call it... Even though 2 of 3 Texans live in 1 of the large metros represented by the subforums here. Knowing that, try not to look down for too long.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:53 AM

160 posts, read 638,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
GoingHometoTX, I tried to give you some reputation for that, but I have to spread it around first. Admirable post - well said.
Thank you, and the same thing happened to me the other day on one of your posts, and one of Reb's, if I remember correctly. I will have to back track the last few posts that both of you made and save them for a later date when I can add with out having 'to spread it around first'.

I guess I did forget to mention that I do reside in a "Red" county, as well, but I hope the point was made clear enough the first go-round.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:41 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Here's an idea....if you dislike Texas, then move!! That leaves room for me to c'mon down!

As for the state flag flying everywhere-- I personally LOVE seeing the Lonestar flag flying proudly in all her glory! It's the first thing I look for when I get off the plane! Seriously...because then I know I'm "HOME"!

Texas does have a HUGE amount of state pride. I think people from out of state take issue with it because other states are not like that...you don't see other state flags flying when you travel to them like you do in Texas, you don't see Pennslyvania-shaped cookie cutters or Ohio-shaped platters or California-shaped whatever. But in Texas, anything and everything is in the Texas shape! Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I personally find it amusing and YES, it is all about state pride. I myself own a Texas-shaped cookie cutter, platter with a star shaped bowl for the dips/salsa, magnets for my fridge...I could go on and on.

The point is you either love it or hate it. If you dislike Texas then you have some options! And for those of us who do love Texas, we have some options too! See y'all when my house in Pennsylvania sells!!

Last edited by TexasGirl@Heart; 08-12-2008 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas