Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:57 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times

Advertisements

Don't put words into the words of Iraqis until you have talked to them yourself. They are willing to pay the price for their freedoms, and their freedoms are there. Now. Throughout the country. If you think that body counts (from indigenous or external forces) are the weighing factor... you don't understand the big picture, I'm sorry to say.

I'm currently reading a book about women who were reporters during WWII. A lot of what happened then could just be transferred to a book taking place now. Media manipulation, trying to be overly diplomatic to no avail and then trying diplomacy again even after it failed the first time....America wasn't even in the war in the late 30's, nor did they have troops there and Germans and Russians were shooting down opposing soldiers(French, English, Polish) as well as citizenry, child/adult, indiscriminately. I'd put a flag on the back of my suv for the citizens of that country who don't want to be ruled by the Taliban anyday.

And what of the Russians in Georgia right now? Has nothing to do with the U.S, is that why there's no outcry from some people? Seems like there's some killing going on there. Where is your outrage? (BTW, Rathagos, this isn't directed at you, I was just using your quote because I agree with it )

Old 08-19-2008, 11:26 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times
Man, some of you guys here are hard core. I sometimes feel like this forum is just a big super conservative ass-kissing contest. One will say something, then 10 more will back them up with high fives (while throwing a couple jabs in there to anyone who doesn't agree). "Good one, yeah! Free the Iraqis!!" Tell me this then.

Why do you still feel the war in Iraq is justifiable given what we know, which is wmds, 9/11 ties, al-qaeda ties, anthrax ties, etc have been proven false (or were known to be false from the beginning)? What specific threat did Saddam pose to me as an American going about my day to day life??

Not to mention, how many other countries out there need "liberating". There are literally TONS of them, but we chose Iraq for some reason. Hmmmm.

Also, what does "victory in Iraq" mean to some of you?? Please tell me how we get to victory.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 PM

You could find some far left wing liberal web sites if you wanted and get all the liberal a** kissing you could dream of, and some high fives and slaps on the back for yourself.

O.K, I'm not wordy and articulate but I'll try and answer some of these.

9/11: O.K, the guys were from Arabia. We don't want to go in and throw out the ruling party, because once they are deposed, it will be even more anti american than it is now. I think even though they aren't maybe the best group in the world, it would do noone any good to overthrow them. Look at Dubai and all the worlds wealthy investing there. Iraq is only one link in the chain and we maybe ought to be expanding our horizons into Iran, Syria, N. Korea. Another problem with 9/11 and muslim extremist terrorists is that they have infiltrated themselves into every country in the world and we can't attack everyone, so why not at least go after some of the countries we know they are based from in a major way. We shouldn't pull out of Iraq, but keep going to some other places.

al-qaeda ties: I don't think this has been disproven.

anthrax: Who said they were solely responsible? They have found bio weapons there.

Saddam Hussein as a threat: Well, Iraq wasn't exactly a no-go zone for hiding al qaeda terrorists. And if I was an Iraqi American/Immigrant, or refugee from there who opposed his government it would be a HUGE problem. I may have a price on my head and have to live under an assumed name.Being American doesn't mean necessarily that someone is of white/anglo descent and was born and raised here.

Victory in Iraq: This, from a coworker of mine, before 9/11 even happened, and she is a female: The laws favoring patriarchy. She left Iran to get away from her abusive husband where over there it is not against the law to beat your wife, they can't work, go to school. She lived in fear of him coming after her, but she didn't want that life for her daughter and she wanted her daughter to be able to go to school and college, not to a madrasa. So when something like that can happen over there, without fear, I will consider it a victory. 2 guys I work with who left Israel and Lebanon respectively, both male: Tired of all the infighting. They didn't like having to look over their shoulders in fear of being turned in for their opposing views to that leadership. So when people have freedom of speech and feel free to air their opposing views without fear of being beheaded, tortured or their families getting killed then I will consider that a victory.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:07 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Man, some of you guys here are hard core. I sometimes feel like this forum is just a big super conservative ass-kissing contest. One will say something, then 10 more will back them up with high fives (while throwing a couple jabs in there to anyone who doesn't agree). "Good one, yeah! Free the Iraqis!!" Tell me this then.

Why do you still feel the war in Iraq is justifiable given what we know, which is wmds, 9/11 ties, al-qaeda ties, anthrax ties, etc have been proven false (or were known to be false from the beginning)? What specific threat did Saddam pose to me as an American going about my day to day life??

Not to mention, how many other countries out there need "liberating". There are literally TONS of them, but we chose Iraq for some reason. Hmmmm.

Also, what does "victory in Iraq" mean to some of you?? Please tell me how we get to victory.
I'm not going to go over this again in this forum. Check out the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum in CD, or live in your ignorance. You don't know anything about the intelligence system or how it works, you don't know anything about international terrorism. Just keep watching your liberal ABC/NBC/CBS/CNN/MSNBC stations and they will keep you informed on everything they think you need to know. They're doing a good job of that so far, apparently.

I'm not going over it again here.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:33 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,004 times
Quote:
Man, some of you guys here are hard core. I sometimes feel like this forum is just a big super conservative a**-kissing contest.......
What you consider to be a "super-conservative" site might just be clearer expression of the POV of most Americans. You might be in a smaller minority than you imagined. Rathagos is absolutely spot on, imo. Your rants seem to be written for you in the backrooms of the Mid Stream Media, and reflect little original thinking. But you probably already know that and seem comfortable being a parrot for those who feel guilty for "not doing enough" [in their own minds, apparently] to earn their freedoms - and thus devalue that concept for others.

The really neat thing about being a liberal is one doesn't have to take responsiblity for anything and always knows better than "the other poor slobs" how to correctly run things. At least in their own minds.

Stop criticizing others and start coming up with solutions on your own and we can discuss ideas. You apparently don't really want that discussion, probably because you don't like anything that's happened in your lifetime and want to make others feel bad too. Sorry, it ain't gonna happen here, imo, because we are FREE to think and speak for ourselves. In spite of liberals, btw, not because of them.

Cheers

Old 08-19-2008, 04:36 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I'm not going to go over this again in this forum. Check out the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum in CD, or live in your ignorance. You don't know anything about the intelligence system or how it works, you don't know anything about international terrorism. Just keep watching your liberal ABC/NBC/CBS/CNN/MSNBC stations and they will keep you informed on everything they think you need to know. They're doing a good job of that so far, apparently.

I'm not going over it again here.
You dont have to go over it again, but do you realize you just proved my point EXACTLY?? And who said I was liberal?? What, anyone who isn't a warmonger is automatically a liberal now?? That makes sense. :-/

BTW, love how you didn't include Fox News in that little list. Bravo. Some of the stuff you guys are spewing is so cliche its not even funny. But, whatever. Im not here to change you. carry on.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:42 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,004 times
Quote:
And who said I was liberal??
"If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck and sounds like a .......". might be in play here. What would YOU call yourself?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:44 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
Quote:
You dont have to go over it again, but do you realize you just proved my point EXACTLY?? And who said I was liberal?? What, anyone who isn't a warmonger is automatically a liberal now?? That makes sense. :-/

BTW, love how you didn't include Fox News in that little list. Bravo. Some of the stuff you guys are spewing is so cliche its not even funny. But, whatever. Im not here to change you. carry on.
It's funny how Republicans today don't know the historic actions and viewpoints of their own party. Democrats in the past have been the warmongers. If you look at the Republican party platform from the 90s, it clearly states a philosophy of refraining from unnecessary wars such as our involvement in Yugoslavia.

Pin me as a liberal if you wish... I'll wear the label with pride and assume you mean classic liberal such as Thomas Jefferson.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:39 AM

This Republican knows the history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas