Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 03:40 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,129 times

Advertisements

Only Austin is livable, so why do 5 million live in Dallas, Houston & 2 million in San Antonio. Why does the TX population increase by 500K per year if its not livable.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:00 PM

30 posts, read 181,718 times
Default rural Texas

Synopsis-we live in an area so rural and isolated that the nearest Starbucks is 60 minutes away (Wichita Falls) or 90 minutes (Ft. Worth).

I email Starbucks weekly asking them to bring one here--(Graham, Texas). I'm sure they delete my requests once they realize we're an hour away from an interstate.

My husband works in oil business-several years ago he was in Indonesia and all the locals wanted to know if he was from TEXAS. They were enthralled--it was as if TEXAS was representative when conjuring images of the U.S.A.. They did wonder why he didn't wear a cowboy hat. They DID seem to be under the impression we are still fighting Native American Indians on horseback, here and there. But, this was 1996 Indonesia- Jakarta, Balik Papan (spelling).

Old 01-30-2007, 04:21 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I'm still waiting to meet all the Californians that are supposedly moving here in droves.
Half of the houses around me that have sold were bought by people from California. Judging by the number of California plates I see daily at the schools, shops, highway, streets, etc I'd say there is a good number of them coming here. Most of the calls to my friends that work in real estate are from people from California moving here. Mabye "droves" is not the correct term but there are plenty of them moving to Texas.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Also agree w/most of what Socketz said

I do agree w/Socketz post. I have ALWAYS heard disparaging remarks about California--we're in a position to get that, as dear husband was born and raised in Camarillo, CA. Guys out in "the field" (oil) tell him, jokingly, "Ya'all might want to keep that a secret!"

I also hear negative remarks made about Texas whenever we go back there to see his family. They say snarky things about Texas, how THEY'D never live here (his brother in law, sister). How we now have "an accent". (LIKE, they so totally don't! lol-say it like they say it. )

Fine, fine, I think. They have a 60 year mortgage on a veritable shack (Davis, CA) while we're living sweet on 20 acres and a house from the pages of Southern Living. It's all good--trade-offs--California IS pretty, seductive, but too expensive for us to live the way we choose.

For my part, I follow the wisdom some here have provided. I keep my mouth closed-it's their choice.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:24 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissThe90s View Post
My reply deleted so, I'll replay differently ... It has a bad image because people have come here and seen it for what it is ... and then reported it. Word of mouth travels fast. Only the Austin-Round Rock area is livable. The new comers are OK but the indeginous are west VA rejects. Wonder if this post will get deleted.
And you moved here from?????

FYI, if your wondering why your previous post was deleted (which I did not see) you might try reading the rules for posting. Just a helpful hint from a Native Texan being friendly.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:16 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
They think that we see people like Brittany Spears or Lindsay Lohan in the supermarket on a daily basis. Or that we all drive Ferarris.
I was in southern California only three weeks and Orville Redenbacher almost hit our rental car at a mall in San Diego. I'm sure if I lived there I'd see a few more celebrities.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:23 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissThe90s View Post
... It has a bad image because people have come here and seen it for what it is ... and then reported it. Word of mouth travels fast. Only the Austin-Round Rock area is livable.

The new comers are OK but the indeginous are west VA rejects. Wonder if this post will get deleted.
So most Texans are like West Virginians, but with oil money?...
Nice! I love that state. The locals in WV are pretty mellow and friendly.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Right on ColdCanadian

Righton, Cold Canadian, lol. Your comment about oil wells--it's the coolest, danged-est thing here.

I didn't see this up close when we lived in Houston, but in this small town...my daughter and I were out in the country driving and she pointed out a particular pumpjack and said, "That's ____'s oil well." "Baby, what?!"
THAT IS _____'s oil well, mom!" It belongs to one of the little girls in her class at school and it's producing around 50 gallons a day. NOT TOO SHABBY!

I must admit I thought, "HOW COOL IS THAT?" My husband works in oil but we don't personally OWN a well. In this little 'burg, many people (not driving Mercedes, either--often a King Ranch Ford-you Texans know what I mean!)
just own a bunch of actual wells, or they're leasing their land for unbelievable dividends.

MOST of them couldn't be more unpretentious. I LOVE THAT. I'm not sure the oil-folk are like this in say, Dallas, etcetera. It's country here and we all know who's who, what's what--there's no pretending to be anyone/anything you aren't. Well, you could try, but everyone would already know, for the most part.

Makes me wish my Nordic forbears had GTT. (Gone to Texas) Many of you know this, but back in the day, folks would leave their homes leaving a simple sign on the door reading, GTT.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:48 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,716 times
"I was in southern California only three weeks and Orville Redenbacher almost hit our rental car at a mall in San Diego"

Orville Redenbacher a star? I saw Ron Jeremy in the Dallas airport recently. Other than that, I can't think of the last celebrity I saw.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:05 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,154 times
If any state should have a "bad image" it should be Arizona, which is where I live now and am trying to relocate to TEXAS! Arizona was ranked "The Dumbest State".
I don't care what state you look at, every state is going to have it's not so great towns and it's great towns. I truly believe that anyone that does not like the state of Texas, has a "bad image" of Texas or looks down on Texans for ANY REASON is either very insecure about themselves, was beat out of a lot of money by a "Texan" or are just overall unhappy people to begin with.
It's the unhappy Texans (I'm sure we all know who I am talking about) that post their negativities about Texas that really gives Texas the bad image!
I LOVE TEXAS AND CAN'T WAIT TO GET THERE!
GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas