Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:38 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,515,227 times

Advertisements

Here is the article that was in this morning's paper.

Body discovered : Local : Times Record News

And my heart-felt thanks, once again, to each and every one of you, my friend, for your prayers and kind words of condolences.

This is no time for me to second-guess what anyone should have done, but I sincerely believe that it is almost never adviseable to go with someone under these type circumstances. That is, leave the premises in their vehicle. It just almost never turns out good.

Perhaps if anything good can come of something like this, it is someone somewhere else might see this and another senseless murder be prevented. If you have a gun, then pull it out and use it. If not, scream, holler, run, attract attention, whatever...

What do you all think...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 09:44 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,751,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Here is the article that was in this morning's paper.

Body discovered : Local : Times Record News

And my heart-felt thanks, once again, to each and every one of you, my friend, for your prayers and kind words of condolences.

This is no time for me to second-guess what anyone should have done, but I sincerely believe that it is almost never adviseable to go with someone under these type circumstances. That is, leave the premises in their vehicle. It just almost never turns out good.

Perhaps if anything good can come of something like this, it is someone somewhere else might see this and another senseless murder be prevented. If you have a gun, then pull it out and use it. If not, scream, holler, run, attract attention, whatever...

What do you all think...?
What a way to start a Sunday morning, huh? Sad, sad, sad. My heart aches for her, for her family, for her friends.

While it's never advisable to go with someone under the circumstances, what choice did she have? It appears on the video that he had foul play on his mind from the git-go, and had she laid down, or screamed, or hollered, or even attempted to run away, he would have killed her on the spot. And even if she did have a gun, how was she supposed to get her hand on it, as her hands were in the air the entire time of the video?

Actually, I see a need for a minimum of two clerks in a convenience store, anywhere, any time of the day. I can also see the justification of bullet-proof plexi- or tempered-glass around the register area. To hell with the appearance of the store if but one clerk is on duty.

Remember, the same thing happened down here in Alvarado a couple weeks ago, just around the corner from my abode; however, that was cold-bloodied assault, as the clerk died a couple of days later from a gunshot to the head.

Just my thoughts, Reb.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:45 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,515,227 times
Default Mindy fought hard!

Here is the latest video released as well as news:

Police find body of clerk abducted in rural Texas - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/17/clerk.abducted.ap/ - broken link)

What I really wanted to share with y'all is that Mindy didn't go down without a fight. True to her Texas girl roots and family name, she fought and fought back hard.

I spent about an hour on the phone just a bit ago with her sister, and she told me the guy was a registered sex offender. From what has been able to be pieced together, the preliminary scenario is that he drove her to a country road location near Sunset, Texas (which is between Wichita Falls and DFW). Given what Mindy thought at the time was going to happen, that is, that he intended to rape and kill her, she jumped from the vehicle and when he came after her, she picked up a big rock and busted him in the head with it. Then ran.

He chased her down and caught her, where she clawed and scratched and hit him several more times with the rock, managing to make some truly good injuries (her sister told me that authorities said the final scene was obviously one of a VERY hard fight). She might have managed to knock the gun out of his hand at some point, because it appears the cause of death was him using a knife on her. Then he tried to burn her body...which is was the reason the identification process was so slow.

But bottom line is, again, Mindy fought back and didn't go easy. When I talked to her sister today, and told her how so many friends of mine in this forum had tried to help and express their concerns and told her about the prayers, she said this:

Randy? Please thank them for me and my family. And tell them that my sister did NOT go down without a good fight

Consider it done.

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-17-2008 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 02:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,787,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Here is the latest video released and well as news:

Police find body of clerk abducted in rural Texas - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/17/clerk.abducted.ap/ - broken link)

What I really wanted to share with y'all is that Mindy didn't go down without a fight. True to her Texas girl roots and family name, she fought and fought back hard.

I spent about an hour on the phone just a bit ago with her sister, and she told me the guy was a registered sex offender. From what has been able to be pieced together, the preliminary scenario is that he drove her to a country road location near Sunset, Texas (which is between Wichita Falls and DFW). Given what Mindy thought at the time was going to happen, that is, that he intended to rape and kill her, she jumped from the vehicle and when he came after her, she picked up a big rock and busted him in the head with it. Then ran.

He chased her down and caught her, where she clawed and scratched and hit him several more times with the rock, managing to make some truly good injuries (her sister told me that authorities said the final scene was obviously one of a VERY hard fight). She might have managed to knock the gun out of his hand at some point, because it appears the cause of death was him using a knife on her. Then he tried to burn her body...which is was the reason the identification process was so slow.

But bottom line is, again, Mindy fought back and didn't go easy. When I talked to her sister today, and told her how so many friends of mine in this forum had tried to help and express their concerns and told her about the prayers, she said this:

Randy? Please thank them for me and my family. And tell them that my sister did NOT go down without a good fight

Consider it done.
That just brings tears to my eyes. I wish she could have done some permanent injury to this sorry scumbag.

God bless her and her family.

Some things in this world are just beyond understanding.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 08-17-2008 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 03:48 PM

285 posts, read 674,947 times
Praying for Mindy, her family, and friends. What a sad world!

Lori

Old 08-17-2008, 05:19 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,217,392 times
TexasReb......I talked to a friend of mine in Wichita Falls this afternoon - he knew Mindy - she bought supplies where he works. He thought a lot of her and is very distressed about her death. He, along with many others there, are grieving and praying for all of you and her family and community.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:39 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,226,658 times
How profoundly sad, and I'm so sorry. I just heard about Mindy's death on a Waco television station.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:35 PM

679 posts, read 2,825,199 times
OMG, TexasReb. I am just reading this post but I have been following the story, from Cali. When I first read that she was abducted, my heart broke. I felt so bad. I read, this morning, that they found her body. I am so, so sorry...for you and for her family. I offer my heartfelt condolences. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you during this difficult time. I am so thankful they have the person who did it in custody. He won't be able to hurt anyone else. God speed.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:46 PM

679 posts, read 2,825,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I know, lonestar. I didn't even know her personally and I'm about to cry now. I guess I feel that way from knowing reb on here, and it just feels closer. I wish they'd release that guy to someone who would shoot him and dump him in a field somewhere. The nice girl in me says would that be fair to his family though if through no fault of theirs, he just turned into a scumbag. But, right now, I really don't care THAT much.
Shooting and dumping him would be too kind. He needs to be sent to prison where he will be "taken advantage of" over and over. That would be the best punishment. Imagine having to live in fear for years.

What I REALLY think is that criminals like this should be used by researchers as human guinea pigs. Right now, much of medical research is done on rats. Being that this guy is lower than a rat, I think they ought to use him to conduct horrifying human experiments. That way, we won't have to wonder how well a cure will work on a human vs a rat. The human rat will be able to show us. They're going to give him the death penalty, anyway. May as well torchure him a little in the lab. I'd bet if criminals thought they would be used as lab experiments, they may just curb their criminal behavior. Sticking him in a prison is a waste of tax payer dollars. Let him and other notorius killers and sex offenders earn their keep in the lab.

Last edited by texasdreamin; 08-17-2008 at 07:03 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 06:51 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,735,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post

Actually, I see a need for a minimum of two clerks in a convenience store, anywhere, any time of the day. I can also see the justification of bullet-proof plexi- or tempered-glass around the register area. To hell with the appearance of the store if but one clerk is on duty.

Remember, the same thing happened down here in Alvarado a couple weeks ago, just around the corner from my abode; however, that was cold-bloodied assault, as the clerk died a couple of days later from a gunshot to the head
This senseless act of violence just makes me sick to my stomach. I agree with you Delta Pkanter on the need to at least two clerks in a convenience store. I was thinking the same thing last night. I used to say I wouldn't work in a small store or station alone at nights when things like this began happening. Then, they think no more of walking in killing in broad daylight than they do of walking up and ordering a hamburger. These are evil people.

I live close to Alvarado and I didn't even hear of the shooting of the store clerk. Of course, I rarely listen to the news anymore, it is so depressing. They can't talk fast enough to list all the killings, rapes, etc. that happened that day in the 30 minute allotment they have. I did turn it on last night to see if there was news of Reb's friend and sadly enough, there was, but not news I was hoping for.

We have a zillion laws on the books, can't enforce but a fraction of them, so what's a few more. If they can force businesses to comply with no smoking laws, and I know several that went to great expense to comply, then there should be no problem requiring bullet proof glass around the checkout counter in order to protect the clerk. I think it is an excellent idea, and one that I am going to call my congressman about in the morning. The government can dip into its foreign aid and even offer assistance to the foreigners that are over here running these businesses rather than send it to their relatives overseas. They've offered them enough assistence to them already to enable them to take all these businesses over, so at least this way, the people who are having to work for them will have a chance to survive a day at work. I am glad you brought this up, Delta Planter.

While I am on this subject, I see no reason why in the name of God do we have registered sex offenders living amonst us? I know I am not the only one who has trouble with that picture. If they have been convicted of a sex crime, for God's sake, do them a favor and put them down. If there is one of you bleeding heart liberals out there who has a problem with this, then by all means we need to arrange it so you can have the pleasure of bringing your charitable case into your home and you will be solely responsile for him or her, which I assume you'll be more than happy to do.

It is past the time to take our country back from this laxed attitude we have had towards the criminals in this country. We need to act now. As far as this piece of sh*t for a man that killed Reb's friend, I hope he never makes it out of that jail he's sitting in right now except in a body bag.

I am also calling the office of Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson in the morning. She is a level headed person and I think this idea of yours Delta Planter will capture her interest.

Last edited by lonestar2007; 08-17-2008 at 07:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas