Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 04:17 PM

146 posts, read 520,484 times

Advertisements

Well Littlefield is not growing still we have lost our Jail but i think that they are working on getting a new company to manage it. We got a Mcds and Best Western but other than that we havent really gotten that much. I think that we are going to be getting a Burger King but and Big 5 sporting goods but not sure. How are all the other little towns doing in these times. The pan handle towns are dying of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 04:48 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant View Post
Well Littlefield is not growing still we have lost our Jail but i think that they are working on getting a new company to manage it. We got a Mcds and Best Western but other than that we havent really gotten that much. I think that we are going to be getting a Burger King but and Big 5 sporting goods but not sure. How are all the other little towns doing in these times. The pan handle towns are dying of course.
This is undoubtedly a bad time to be looking for growth anywhere but I think Muleshoe, like it has in the past, is holding its own. The Ford dealership was recently closed but that seems to have had more to do with one of its owners dying in a car crash than it had to do with a bad economy. I'm sure the small west Texas towns who realize economic tiimes are tough and wisely adapt to more austere operations will survive. I've seen these towns contract and then expand in the past.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
It's not that centralized as well. Sure it's close to Lubbock and guess you could say Amarillo, but that's it.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,043 times
I recently moved to littlefield about 7 months ago and Come to find out there is times when the town smells so bad like cattle and it stinks up my house u can even smell horse poop when you go to grocery store (Lowes) that is one of the main and biggest reasons I am concidering moving out of littlefield but that's just me that might be a turn off to potential home buyers!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:35 PM

6 posts, read 13,622 times
Infantry, I agree with you. We moved to Dalhart, TX two years ago. This is about as a remote town as you can imagine. The nearest Walmart is 35 miles away and there is not much of anything to do in town. As someone else remarked, this town has plenty of jobs, but not enough housing or employees. We moved here from southern CA for a job paying only a few more dollars an hour because we knew the cost of living was cheaper. We have prospered here. The one caveat: this town stinketh! When the wind blows from the west, you can smell the feed lots. All that manure and urine on the wind...It easily crosses the 3 miles or so into town. A few times a month, you hold your breath as you cross from the car to the house. This is no lie: I have become a vegetarian after moving here.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikila View Post
Infantry, I agree with you. We moved to Dalhart, TX two years ago. ....

The one caveat: this town stinketh! When the wind blows from the west, you can smell the feed lots.
I don't like concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFO) anymore than the next fellow but that's what goes with what is left of real "Texas". In fact, I bought a place on the High Plains as far from a CAFOs as I could find.

The Panhandle and South Plains of Texas have fast become politically and financially invisible to the rest of Texas as eastern Texas is fast becoming a surburban metroplex from Houston to Dallas. Rest assured that west Texas will soon follow the rest of Texas' race to political blue simply for survival's sake and then you can be back in California and not even need a moving truck to get there.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 05-07-2013 at 10:26 AM..

Old 05-07-2013, 12:11 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Fertilize it with lots of oil.

That and fracking can make it grow.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:35 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,527 times

John Mellencamp - Small Town Music Video - YouTube

Old 05-07-2013, 02:57 PM

Small Town
by John Mellencamp

Well I was born in a small town
And I live in a small town
Prob'ly die in a small town
Oh, those small - communities

All my friends are so small town
My parents live in a same small town
My job is so small town
Provides little opportunity, hey!

Educated in a small town
Taught to fear Jesus in a small town
Used to daydream in that small town
Another born romantic that's me

But I've seen it all in a small town
Had myself a ball in a small town
Married an L.A. doll and brought her to this small town
Now she's small town just like me

No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be

Got nothing against a big town
Still hayseed enough to say
Look who's in the big town
But my bed is in a small town
Oh, that's good enough for me

Well I was born in a small town
And I can breathe in a small town
Gonna die in a small town
Ah, that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Old 05-07-2013, 04:19 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
whitegiant . . . .

maybe I am a total retard . . . since everyone else seems to answer this without asking . . . but why do want Littlefield (name should be a clue?) to "grow?" And what do you mean by "grow?" More population? More business? Higher local wealth?

Just asking because to me it makes more sense to figure where you want to go before you try to start to get there.
Its called progress...growth is progress. Stand still in this world and you get run over or slowly die. Older generations pass on and with our change if young people are leaving that wont change without change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas