Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:44 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant View Post
I need help deciding which college is better for medicle and all around
Are you looking at graduate level medical schools? I wasn't aware UT Austin had a medical school. I thought the renowned UT medical schools were in Houston and elsewhere. Or are you looking for pre-med programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 08:48 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I didn't think UT was a good school. So hyped up. The only reason why they are well known is because some of their grad programs are great and their football team is huge but that doesn't mean it is good for the most part. I would stay away from there.
From the looks of it, that's probably because it wasn't your type of school. But you can't knock the academics that come with attending UT. It was one of the top public universities in the nation. Ranked in the top 50 and known as one of the mythical public ives.

Oh and Tech won't beat UT by three touchdowns. Tech may win, but it won't be by 3 touchdowns and this is your best chance to beat UT this season. If you don't, expect the current streak of 6 in a row (for UT) to maybe double digits.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm pretty sure this is not true. UT appears on several top lists for different programs, undergrad and grad (if you're into those kinds of rankings).

Me...well, my bro and I went to UT...and we both have many friends who went elsewhere, including all over the ivy league. We both got into top grad schools (me - medical, him - law), we both make more money than any of them (again, if this is your measure of success), and we both are happy and doing well in our chosen careers (my measure of success).

I enjoyed my time at UT immensely. I am not a liberal, either! *grin* I learned a ton and I felt like the people there wanted to help me learn and succeed.

Seriously, if you're trying to choose between Texas Tech and UT, I think a serious student could do well at either of those schools. You just need to figure out which one suits you better in terms of personality, opportunity, and goals. You can get into a good medical school with a degree from either school if you do well and get good grades.
Well said, UT has the reputation in Texas and by first hand account is usually the number one choice fore the Average-Joe High school-er in Texas. Texas Tech is also looked upon favorably.
My father, who believes strongly in UT and graduated both grad and under grad in Michigan thinks the the school is Just as good as Michigan and in some aspects better (on the other hand worse too). He did residency @ UTSW. My Mother applied to UTSW and got accepted but Texas Tech was one of her back up schools. Both are good schools, but I would say UTs reputation goes farther.
UT is famous for being die Heart liberal, if Texas were California, Austin would be San Francisco.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:04 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Total hype. UT is not that liberal. Student organizations are weak. Administration are weird. Professors ranged from average to flat out inept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Well said, UT has the reputation in Texas and by first hand account is usually the number one choice fore the Average-Joe High school-er in Texas. Texas Tech is also looked upon favorably.
My father, who believes strongly in UT and graduated both grad and under grad in Michigan thinks the the school is Just as good as Michigan and in some aspects better (on the other hand worse too). He did residency @ UTSW. My Mother applied to UTSW and got accepted but Texas Tech was one of her back up schools. Both are good schools, but I would say UTs reputation goes farther.
UT is famous for being die Heart liberal, if Texas were California, Austin would be San Francisco.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:05 PM

Spade what do you mean "academics"?
Not every grad program ranked highly. A lot of it is media hype and advertising for the school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
From the looks of it, that's probably because it wasn't your type of school. But you can't knock the academics that come with attending UT. It was one of the top public universities in the nation. Ranked in the top 50 and known as one of the mythical public ives.

Oh and Tech won't beat UT by three touchdowns. Tech may win, but it won't be by 3 touchdowns and this is your best chance to beat UT this season. If you don't, expect the current streak of 6 in a row (for UT) to maybe double digits.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:29 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Spade what do you mean "academics"?
Not every grad program ranked highly. A lot of it is media hype and advertising for the school.
Now I did not attend UT, but I do know that UT has several strong programs and several strong areas around certain educational opportunities. It is one of the best schools in the nation whether you want to admit that or not. That is why the Big 10 was talking about getting Texas because it fits in with the rest of the big 10 when it comes to academics. Same with the Pac 10 and UT would be there if Stanford did not oppose. Media hype, I don't think so. I spoke to many professors and UT is up there with UVA, Michigan, UCLA, and most other major public institutions. Like I said, maybe it wasn't the university for you. But to disregard it's academic reputation speaks differently than most of this world.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:43 PM

I agree it is top ranked. I'm saying do your research on the ranking of the specific program before you get there or accepted into it. I attended a program that didn't even rank and it was a horrible experience.

I know accounting is #1 at UT. They have many other highly ranked grad schools such as MBA in marketing and social work and psychology..etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Now I did not attend UT, but I do know that UT has several strong programs and several strong areas around certain educational opportunities. It is one of the best schools in the nation whether you want to admit that or not. That is why the Big 10 was talking about getting Texas because it fits in with the rest of the big 10 when it comes to academics. Same with the Pac 10 and UT would be there if Stanford did not oppose. Media hype, I don't think so. I spoke to many professors and UT is up there with UVA, Michigan, UCLA, and most other major public institutions. Like I said, maybe it wasn't the university for you. But to disregard it's academic reputation speaks differently than most of this world.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:40 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,134 times
I went to A&M, so its not like me to defend UT, but in my experience UT blows Tech out of the water in almost every way. UT is a tier 1 school and one of the top public institutions in the country, their medical progam is top notch and their related hospitals in Houston are some of the best in the world.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:09 PM

288 posts, read 919,278 times
A few thoughts, having earned a B.S. in Biology from UT:

UT's biology program is great. There are plenty of opportunities to interact with professors and to get involved in research. Lots of funds means a lot of interdisciplinary collaboration involving biology (e.g. computational bio, bioengineering, biomed engineering, biosystems visualization, etc.).

TTU is a good school, but a degree from UT may be looked upon more favorably, especially to out-of-state people unfamiliar with TTU.

Large, widespread alumni network. This helped me obtain a job offer in San Diego, one of the biotech/biomed hotspots in the nation.

Also note that there is no medical school in Austin; but there are several medical schools in the UT system in the other TX cities.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:03 PM

148 posts, read 236,764 times
Overall - UT
Law - UT
Medical - Tech

However, Tech is respected as well. You'd do best to research the schools and locations to decided which you would prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: