Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:36 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,631,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
SA proper is the 2nd largest in TX but outside of SA proper there is much of nothing. It's a big city that still feels like a small town in many ways.
You could argue that. You could also argue that SA proper has more street-level vibrancy than Dallas and Houston put together. It's got the tourism industry that Houston lacks, and that Dallas would lack were it not for Ft. Worth, JFK's assassination, and the 1980's TV show. Other than that stuff, there's really not much to see there really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 12:37 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,782,236 times
In general, I don't think other cities think lowly of SA... I like SA a lot, for a bunch of reasons.

But, I can see where it kind of gets a bad rap with younger people. It doesn't have the big-city excitement of Houston or Dallas, nor the hipness of Austin (not saying it is deserved, but that is the perception). Add to that the success of the Spurs in a relatively small NBA market, and you've got a city some other NBA cities love to hate. Other than those demographics, I think people generally like SA to visit or to live in.

If anyone gets a bad rap, I think it's Houston. People outside Texas (and even some of those inside TX, like from the DFW area) seem to think Houston is like a Detroit or something in Texas. Crime-ridden, polluted, and horrible weather are the things that you seem to hear all the time. However, Houston is actually pretty attractive in spots, very dynamic and full of opportunity, has incredible diversity, and the weather is appealing to some. But you won't ever hear about that...

Old 08-27-2008, 12:54 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,340,031 times
As a Dallas area resident this is my take:

San Antonio: most respected, SA is Texas; has great historical, military and cultural importance. Talking negative about SA is like disrespecting the entire state.

Austin: most loved; as our State Capital city, university seat and one of the most unique major cities in the state.

Houston: is admired as our peer city; top notch amenities (sports, arts, medical, NASA, food scene). I was raised in N Texas and have never came across anyone in the Metroplex who proclaimed 'hatred' for Houston nor have I experienced Dallas (Metroplex) hatred during my numerous visits to Houston. I think the perception Dallas 'hates' Houston vise versa, is a prefabricated ideal created by a few of the fanatical pro Houston crowd who attempt to overpromote their city.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
I was raised in N Texas and have never came across anyone in the Metroplex who proclaimed 'hatred' for Houston nor have I experienced Dallas (Metroplex) hatred during my numerous visits to Houston. I think the perception Dallas 'hates' Houston vise versa, is a prefabricated ideal created by a few of the fanatical pro Houston crowd who attempt to overpromote their city.
It's a long-standing rivalry. This article is almost 30 years old! The Best Little Rivalry in Texas - TIME

Old 08-27-2008, 02:45 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,340,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
It's a long-standing rivalry. This article is almost 30 years old! The Best Little Rivalry in Texas - TIME
Little rivalry is much different than hate.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
Little rivalry is much different than hate.
Oh, good grief. You say tuhmaytoe, I say tuhmahtoe.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:44 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,010,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
SA proper is the 2nd largest in TX but outside of SA proper there is much of nothing. It's a big city that still feels like a small town in many ways.
Yeah outside of SA is only the Hill Country

Old 08-28-2008, 08:37 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,562,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Yeah outside of SA is only the Hill Country
Which is a lot of pretty nothing. The OP is about big cities, not scenic country.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 PM

2,739 posts, read 6,078,157 times
There is more to San Antonio outside the city proper. Of course it's new sprawl just like all other cities. What matters is San Antonio's urban core, the most unique and vibrant in Texas.
What San Antonio and Austin have that the other big texas cities don't have, is the many hill Country towns with tons of Charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas