Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 09:36 PM

47 posts, read 231,722 times

Advertisements

Just wondering about life in Kingsville. Went to High School there a long time ago, worked as an oil rig skidder/builder in the summer. Thought it to be a nice little town at the time. Don't recall much crime, though I was only there a couple of years, my Dad being stationed at the Naval Air Station. Not even sure NAS Kingsville is still there. One of my good friends' father was foreman of the King Ranch. Had some fine steak feeds out there. Used to get our "brown bag" lunches (before heading to the oil rigs) at Mac's Chicken Shack. That still around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 10:04 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,386,808 times
NAS Kingsville is still here. never heard of Mac's Chicken Shack..it must have closed. i have only been here a few months but it definitely doesnt exist-i know cuz i am the resident foodie here...already explored every eating place around.
safe town-no big crime that i can see or have dealt with.
very hispanic, but then again, isn't any town in South Texas?
pretty friendly folks. cheap cost of living. very poor folks. lots of poverty.
i'm just here for the big money...so not settling here.
livestock shows are great-one going on all week here and it has been great. some good rodeos-a bullriding event weekend is coming up.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:35 PM

29 posts, read 161,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
NAS Kingsville is still here. never heard of Mac's Chicken Shack..it must have closed. i have only been here a few months but it definitely doesnt exist-i know cuz i am the resident foodie here...already explored every eating place around.
safe town-no big crime that i can see or have dealt with.
very hispanic, but then again, isn't any town in South Texas?
pretty friendly folks. cheap cost of living. very poor folks. lots of poverty.
i'm just here for the big money...so not settling here.
livestock shows are great-one going on all week here and it has been great. some good rodeos-a bullriding event weekend is coming up.
Bella - was this before you had trouble - because in response to my question about Kingsville you said it was very dangerous, lots of crime...

Old 11-10-2007, 08:57 PM

384 posts, read 1,413,908 times
yeh sounds like bellestaroftexas has either had a chance of heart or he/she cant keep thier facts straight. its cool and all... not trying to be mean to anyone... just curious is all.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:08 PM

29 posts, read 161,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post
yeh sounds like bellestaroftexas has either had a chance of heart or he/she cant keep thier facts straight. its cool and all... not trying to be mean to anyone... just curious is all.
I'm curious too, maybe she had a bad experience. I'm glad you have some positive things to say. When you say culutral void elsewhere do you mean no theatre and music and such? We want to save some money so that's not too bad. Bella complained about lack of restaraunts - yet she mentioned quite a variety - Taiwanese, Thai, Mexican, Chinese....Is there a movie theatre nearby.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:38 PM

384 posts, read 1,413,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis432 View Post
I'm curious too, maybe she had a bad experience. I'm glad you have some positive things to say. When you say culutral void elsewhere do you mean no theatre and music and such? We want to save some money so that's not too bad. Bella complained about lack of restaraunts - yet she mentioned quite a variety - Taiwanese, Thai, Mexican, Chinese....Is there a movie theatre nearby.

when i say culture i mean... they dont do a good job of grooming the culture that is inversley implied there. they dont care for it or water it. i mean just anything there... this texmex/cowboy ranch/ college town culture. its very evident there but it isnt powered or tailored to how effective it can be. this can be in anything... art and music or simply just living. it has a "feel" to it... but its not cared for if you get my drift. mainly the king ranch empire really does a good job of shutting the doors on any progress in terms of culture in that area.... not sure why this is the case.

if they could just back off and open the flood gates and care for it then it would be a pretty decent unique town.

there is a variety of places to eat... but not much... maybe 3 chinese places? two thia places? lots of mexican places for sure and country eateries.
youngs pizza is a hometown favorite... longest history.. near the college. its an icon of kingsville... family owned and been aroud for a long time. only place u can get a texicali anywhere that i know of... because they are the only ones that make it.

lots of corporate chain stores and restaraunts are popping up near 77 and cesar street. well a lot compared to what they used to have. growth is happening in that area for some reason. someone opened the flood gates out there! lol

this would be near that "rio" 7 that i mentioned in an earlier post. its the only movie cinema there. its pretty small... 5 or so screens but they show the blockbusters there. pretty cheap last i heard.

its a cheap place to live. some people are in heaven with a 23k salary job there. hell i know 10bux an hour for someone that is single and st8 out of college can be glorious. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: