Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,064 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to move from Boston to either Dallas or Austin within the next month or two because I need a change from the Northeast lifestyle. I'm in my mid-late 20s doing fire protection sprinkler design. I enjoy going to the racetracks over the weekend if I'm not racing, into all types of music, going to concerts and having a fun time. I am a little shy so moving someplace I don't know anyone at all does have me a little worried about the move, so I guess the city with more outgoing people may work better for me.

The biggest question I have is which city is better for living and which is better for visiting?

Job security wise, which city seems to have more construction going on in the upcoming years?

If I were to choose the Dallas area, what are some nice areas of the city and surrounding suburbs and what are some of the areas I should try to avoid?

If I were to choose the Austin area, what are some nice areas of the city and surrounding suburbs and what are some of the areas I should try to avoid?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 10:27 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,799 times
...which city is better for living and which is better for visiting?

That would depend on how you live and what you visit. Dallas is probably more business serious, Austin a younger mind set

Dallas preferred areas - north of I-30, between 35/183/114 and 75 corridors, to include neighborhoods east of 75, and including downtown. This is a very large area, you'll want to find living space depending on work space. As far north as you can go. If you want assistance finding living space then the forum will inquire as to budgets and bedrooms. In Dallas you'll probably prefer Uptown (just north of downtown), starting at a grand$ and upwards.

Areas to avoid - south of I-30

Austin preferred areas - west of I-35, as far west as you can go
Areas to avoid - would be found east of I-35 but not inclusive

Last edited by metroxian; 05-17-2015 at 10:36 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 02:18 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,481,105 times
Austin beats Dallas on pretty much every level. Austin is like a big Davis Sq. Dallas is like a big South Bay.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:02 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
Austin beats Dallas on pretty much every level. Austin is like a big Davis Sq. Dallas is like a big South Bay.
Think so? Dallas is nothing like any area of Boston, IMO. Austin thinks it's like Davis Square, but tries too hard.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:20 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,900,657 times
The adage "it's a great place to live, but I wouldn't wanna visit there" applies to Dallas, and the other applies to Austin.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:18 AM

371 posts, read 543,884 times
What kind of racing is important to you?

Austin would probably be easier for someone shy in your age range- just because there are so many people in their 20s there.

I lived in Dallas area for about a year, it was not bad, but it definitely would take more work to get to know people depending on what area you were living.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:52 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,448,976 times
If you are extremely liberal, Austin. Just the facts.

As to growth commercially, DFW is booming, but apartments and hotels also now require all the sprinkler systems, installing them in homes now as well, especially high dollar homes. (As an aside, I saw someone install a fire sprinkler system with PVC pipe. Like to have lost it)

Old 05-19-2015, 12:11 PM

92 posts, read 113,469 times
Austin isn't all it's cracked up to be. Especially the last 7 or so years. Personally, I prefer Dallas in many ways. More urban areas, better music scene (for punk and hardcore), better infrastructure, better jobs, etc.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,262,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCCor6 View Post
I am hoping to move from Boston to either Dallas or Austin within the next month or two because I need a change from the Northeast lifestyle. I'm in my mid-late 20s doing fire protection sprinkler design. I enjoy going to the racetracks over the weekend if I'm not racing, into all types of music, going to concerts and having a fun time. I am a little shy so moving someplace I don't know anyone at all does have me a little worried about the move, so I guess the city with more outgoing people may work better for me.

The biggest question I have is which city is better for living and which is better for visiting?

Job security wise, which city seems to have more construction going on in the upcoming years?

If I were to choose the Dallas area, what are some nice areas of the city and surrounding suburbs and what are some of the areas I should try to avoid?

If I were to choose the Austin area, what are some nice areas of the city and surrounding suburbs and what are some of the areas I should try to avoid?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
With the possible exception of the employment situation, I would say Austin would be better to live and visit based on your specific situation.

Both metro areas are growing faster than Mark McGuire's biceps in the 90's, but DFW is just plain larger all around, so they might have the edge. By now, you probably know that Austin has a much better live music. Austin is a friendlier town for young people, so you should get over your shyness quickly there. Dallas vibe is more like the financial district in Boston. Everyone's suggestions about the actual cities proper are pretty accurate except Austin being l ike a bid Davis Square. The suburbs of DFW remind me of newer Metro West, except much larger, flatter, less green, and 100x more strip malls. Austin's surrounding area gets rural must faster once you leave the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: