Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:35 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times

Advertisements

http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-ike-2008

The model has not changed since yesterday. On target for the eye to come in at Port Lavaca. On the above map, once you get to the Texas coast "click" to see the hurricane size. It is going to totally hit Corpus and even up to southern suburbs of Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 10:39 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
We have family in Clear Lake and so far they have shown no indication of leaving. My mom said she'd only leave if it was a cat 4 or higher. One thing about people being reticent to leave is that 1. They've been through a few hurricanes in their lives and know what it will be like pretty much. Everyone has their own comfort level. The media seems to love to make every storm seem like some massive monster and some just aren't. 2. Before this season, the last time we ever saw a string of hurricanes make it to Texas was in the 1980's. Most people probably still think it could turn a very sharp right or left before it even makes it to Texas. I mean, it seems like that's what Katrina did.

Remember, New Orleans is below sea level. I don't think a lot of the Texas Coast is.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:48 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
This may or may not work, but you could try this as well. I know during Katrina that lots of church families offered residence during that storm so maybe if you called a local church, they may have host families who would be willing to have guests. Our church did this also. I would try the bigger ones first and work my way down.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:01 AM

430 posts, read 1,358,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacharoo View Post
If there is a hit to CC and Ike is up here how will it affect us here? I used to live in Corpus for a few years, cant say as I liked it much either, !
A lot of rain and a lot of wind.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:07 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
We have family in Clear Lake and so far they have shown no indication of leaving.
I live here and have will leave only if we're directly looking at a cat 3 or stronger. It's in the air as to whether we live in the cat 3 evacuation zone, or 4/5. We're on the border, but better to be safe than sorry.

If I have to run from the water, I'll hide from the wind on the SW side. I'm not going to try (and fail) to leave town this time, like what happened in '05. The people in the northern areas will needlessly flee just like what happened w/ Rita.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:23 AM

CNN just reported that after the hurricane hits the coast the winds are going to stay at 110 miles per hour for 2-3 hours as the storm moves inland. They specifically mentioned that Victoria and San Antonio/Austin will be hard hit.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:59 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Here is an excellent site from the State of Texas for all info on storm preparedness, evacuation, routes, shelters, phone #'s, etc.:

Emergency Portal

No reason to panic here folks, but DO be like a good boy or girl scout and "Be Prepared"!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeTakeAHike View Post
Thanks for that Bowie and Trainwreck, no on the shelters for Corpus. If someone doesn't have transportation they're busing them out. Actually they're busing already everyone who is handicapped.

I'll check for shelters in Kingsville.

Thanks again but I'm still looking for something other than a shelter first and a shelter as a last resort.
Keep trying in the Rio Grande Valley. A friend was able to get a room in Pharr. Apparently AEP and the Red Cross had booked blocks of rooms but will probably be letting them go as it looks like the RGV is not in as much danger.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:38 PM

CNN just showed a new model that they said is the most reliable and it shows the storm coming directly into Galveston Bay at 125mph early Saturday.

The weatherman said more models show it hitting Corpus, however, this one that shows it hitting Houston is considered "very reliable" whatever that means..

Old 09-10-2008, 03:28 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
CNN just showed a new model that they said is the most reliable and it shows the storm coming directly into Galveston Bay at 125mph early Saturday.

The weatherman said more models show it hitting Corpus, however, this one that shows it hitting Houston is considered "very reliable" whatever that means..
Oh, geez, that's super-bad news! Just in case, go fill your gas tanks NOW, y'all! The gas stations will use this new model as an excuse to hike gas prices even if Galveston/Houston don't get hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas