Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:32 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I'm not sure it should be considered child endangerment. That's a slippery slope. Would you have to include not leaving town when you hear about tornado warnings? What about when it just rains a lot during a spring storm and there is flooding. There's definitely a need for some Darwin awards for people who do that, though.
There's a big difference between a tornado warning, floods that come without much warning, and a mandatory evacuation. What part of mandatory makes people think that gambling with their lives is OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 10:59 AM

437 posts, read 2,238,370 times
I pray that all of you will be safe. No matter what you do. I would at least go and visit someone for a few days. Don't take chances. I would be so out of there. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:05 AM

18 posts, read 51,593 times
The water is already coming over the sea wall in Galveston and it has not even hit yet. They say there are approximately 15,000 in the area that stayed.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:20 AM

288 posts, read 1,191,233 times
It looks to me like the eye will go directly over Galveston, with the near-eastern edge of the northward churn passing right up into the bay.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:28 AM

898 posts, read 2,562,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
HOUSTON, TEXAS NEWS | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas this channel is available on TXCN or TimeWarner SA channel 232.
Ahh alright thanks...ill be watching that for awhile.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:32 AM

657 posts, read 2,544,415 times
I saw some clod on the news yesterday with a baby, talking about how they were going to ride it out in their beach home in Galveston. I hope he's since changed his mind.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:37 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
I saw some clod on the news yesterday with a baby, talking about how they were going to ride it out in their beach home in Galveston. I hope he's since changed his mind.
I hope so, too.

I sure hate seeing those beautiful historic Galveston buildings in danger. We just moved here and I already feel attached to that area.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:54 AM

376 posts, read 1,808,891 times
((((prayers for all))))

Old 09-12-2008, 12:03 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,243,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
It's only a cat 2. Why so much drama? Cat 2's/3's even back 20 yrs. ago never drew this much drama. They bring up the 1900 Hurricane, but part of the reason it was so devastating then was that there was no seawall. If I lived in Galveston, I would evacuate for anything over a 1, but if I lived in Clear Lake (which I have) and Houston (which I have) I would just sit it out. My bestest friend ever lives in Brazoria and I know they had evac orders, but as far as I know, she's not leaving either. When I was growing up around there and we had hurricanes, we never left for them, just rode them out. Again, though, If I lived right on the beach/island, I'd leave and go further inland.
The drama exists because the population over these areas have increased exponentially in the last 20 years. Computer projections indicate that if a Category 5 hurricane were to run along or just west of Galveston Bay without evacuations, the death toll could approach 1.5 million people. With this storm, even though it is a category 2 approaching 3 status, storm surge with this storm will be much more reminiscent of a 4 or 5, similar to Katrina at landfall. This is because of how huge the windfield is. Many places will experience hurricane force winds much longer on average... up to 12 hours in some locations. That is a lot of force to push a ton of water inland.

I do not think anyone is emphasizing life-threatening wind damage as much as they are the storm surge itself for places close to the coast and Galveston Bay. However, Tropical Storm force gust will be felt everywhere along and east of the I-37 to I-35 corridor.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:06 PM

16 posts, read 162,139 times
Default 2-cents from a "Seasoned Hurricane Rider"

This (below) is the most ridiculous, panic-stricken and exagerrated notice i've ever read my entire life. Whoever wrote this (assuming it is even legitimate) should be fired.

And the poster who took the liberty to edit this notice & create even more panic should be ashamed of himself.

Honestly, folks... I've survived a direct hit by a catgory 4 hurricane (Hurricane Iniki) that struck my tiny little island -in the middle of the pacific ocean- and only 3 people died.

Of those 3 deaths: 2 were eldery people, and the cause of death was heart attack!

There was no "evacuation" prior to the hurricane --because there was no such privelige. Where can one evacuate to anyway when there are not even flights going out?

And, after the storm: rescue took many weeks to arrive!

We lived without electric, water, telephone communications, or any sort of help for months! Many people's homes were utterly destroyed, but they simply threw up a few tarps, camped out, and calmly got working on clean up & repairs. ....We had most the roads cleared off & many repairs done ourselves before any agencies were able to get here to help us!

WE DID JUST FINE.

Me thinks you mainland people need to toughen up....

(Psst: And, you're not in New Orleans. You're in TEXAS!)
  • Find a solid shelter if you can.
  • If you cannot: use common sense and find a place in your home that is most solid (and bring your bed matresses to cover yourselves with if needed).
  • Watch out for flying objects (duh!)
  • and stay away from windows.
Considering you're not on an island, rescue teams will be there in no time. So, relax! Take a chill pill. Enjoy Mother nature's show, and when it's over: start helping each other with whatever assistance is needed -rather than lazily waiting for Government agencies to do all the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
LIFE THREATENING INUNDATION LIKELY!

ALL NEIGHBORHOODS...AND POSSIBLY ENTIRE COASTAL COMMUNITIES...
WILL BE INUNDATED DURING HIGH TIDE. PERSONS NOT HEEDING
EVACUATION ORDERS IN SINGLE FAMILY ONE OR TWO STORY HOMES WILL
FACE CERTAIN DEATH. MANY RESIDENCES OF AVERAGE CONSTRUCTION
DIRECTLY ON THE COAST WILL BE DESTROYED. WIDESPREAD AND
DEVASTATING PERSONAL PROPERTY DAMAGE IS LIKELY ELSEWHERE. VEHICLES LEFT BEHIND WILL LIKELY BE SWEPT AWAY. NUMEROUS ROADS WILL BE SWAMPED...SOME MAY BE WASHED AWAY BY THE WATER. ENTIRE FLOOD PRONE COASTAL COMMUNITIES WILL BE CUTOFF. WATER LEVELS MAY EXCEED 9 FEET FOR MORE THAN A MILE INLAND. COASTAL RESIDENTS IN MULTI-STORY FACILITIES RISK BEING CUTOFF. CONDITIONS WILL BE WORSENED BY BATTERING WAVES. SUCH WAVES WILL EXACERBATE PROPERTY DAMAGE...WITH MASSIVE DESTRUCTION OF HOMES...INCLUDING THOSE OF BLOCK CONSTRUCTION. DAMAGE FROM BEACH EROSION COULD TAKE YEARS TO REPAIR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas