Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 03:41 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAS RANGER View Post
.......the water is poisoned? Property taxes are tornado high? The schools are bad and getting worse? Jobs are scarce? Crime is at an all time high? Or is it that it's just plain boring in that part of Texas? Geez....the population in Morton Texas was 2,249 in 2000 and in 2007 it went down to 1,835. What's up??? Ooops...maybe because texas should be spelled "Texas".....my bad.
Just curious, TEXASRANGER. Why is there a "cool" icon next to a thread title that's otherwise very dark??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 04:10 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
If you look at a Texas Almanac, or just fish around on citydata.com, you'll see that a lot of West Texas towns and counties are losing population. Morton may have problems that others don't have, but losing population isn't unusual.
I too am not familiar with Morton's problems but the population ups and downs in these small west Texas towns have been prevalent for at least the forty years I have been around here. These small towns grow for a few years, then they dwindle in size. Right now most seem to be losing residents.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:34 AM

3 posts, read 10,093 times
The icon? Oops...sorry...my bad...please forgive me...life is short...life goes on. Not to try and make this an "illegal alien" post...but...how many of those leaving west Texas are "illegal aliens" counted by the US Census? Are those leaving that part of Texas "native Texan" or just immigrant workers passing by looking to establish themselves in a town where employment is available? And not finding or having found and then losing their employment they then move on and move on and move on?

Old 10-17-2008, 07:32 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Catman is correct. Most of the panhandle and high plains counties are losing population as younger people want a place less boring. On the other hand, there are more cows,and snakes than previously and there is a move by local governments in the area to count them in the census, in order that they don't lose out.

I spent 17 days in Hereford Texas. At that time there were 19,000 people and 667,000 cattle penned up around the town. At any given time 43,769 cows were umm going to the bathroom and the place smelled like ... well methane.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 10,093 times
Well...maybe if the Obama plan is appoved...that is of course once he's in the White House, Cochran county perhaps can apply for county construction projects...like more roads to nowhere?

Old 12-31-2008, 03:48 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
If you look at a Texas Almanac, or just fish around on citydata.com, you'll see that a lot of West Texas towns and counties are losing population. Morton may have problems that others don't have, but losing population isn't unusual.
The only saving graces west of I-35 in Texas are Lubbock, Amarillo, San Angelo, El Paso, and Midland-Odessa. Everywhere else seems to be just declining. Those small West Texas towns are interesting to drive through though.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,889 times
Default Morton, Texas

I live in Morton, Texas, and the crime rate is NOT up. I love my little town, I do not have to lock my car door and can leave it running to go into the post office, bank, convenience store, etc. I don't even have to lock my door to the house! Can you say that! Yes, we are slowly declining in population, but I guarantee we will be around for a long time to come.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
I think there is more people on the third floor of my dorm than in Morton.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,668 times
im from morton tx and if ur not from there u dont know **** people there have tried hard to maintain themselfes yes there is crime and drugs and the school is not very well but u really think that life could get anybetter for these people even for yourself. as for the illegal mexicans where there from they dont have much neither does morton but to them its alot. yes obama made promises he cant keep and lie to america say that when he took office everyting went better because of him i lost my job so F-U OBAMA. and to everybodyeles if they have a problem freaken deal with it cause u aint no better than anybody eles cause ur also getting screwed

Old 10-03-2010, 12:13 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtl View Post
im from morton tx and if ur not from there u dont know **** people there have tried hard to maintain themselfes yes there is crime and drugs and the school is not very well but u really think that life could get anybetter for these people even for yourself. as for the illegal mexicans where there from they dont have much neither does morton but to them its alot. yes obama made promises he cant keep and lie to america say that when he took office everyting went better because of him i lost my job so F-U OBAMA. and to everybodyeles if they have a problem freaken deal with it cause u aint no better than anybody eles cause ur also getting screwed
It's the President's fault you lost your job? Okay, then.

I've lived in this region on two separate occasions. Morton is no different than most cities in that part of Texas. Small farms are dying out and so are the small towns that catered to the farmers. People from Morton, just like people from all small towns in the south plains, are moving to Lubbock in droves. There's nothing to keep them in the small towns anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas