Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danilo-11 View Post
My wife's best friend lives in LA and some of her relatives live in San Francisco.

That got me thinking about a trip (in the future) from San Antonio to Los Angeles.
I was looking at the map and it looks like a seriously boring trip, there's no Vegas, Grand Canyon or anything.

Has anybody taken that trip?
I've only been to Tucson, and just from that, it looks to me like a 18 hour trip through the SouthWest on I-10 would be extremely crappy.
you should take the 90 instead of the 10. i once took this way instead of the excruciating 10 drive. the 90 will take you through marfa and across the majestic pecos river, which is a sight in itself. then you can reconnect with the 10. if you're not in a hurry you could take the interstate that goes northward to albuquerque and then take the 40 from there. i also took the US 70 once which went thru small town arizona and surrounded blue lake havasu. you may also be able to drive on remnants route 66.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:11 AM

7 posts, read 18,914 times
I did a run about 4X a month from Mira Loma, CA to Atlanta, GA. It is a boring drive. While driving through New Mexico and Arizona, you can make up for time spent at your fuel and food stops. Interstate 10 is great for one reason: the speed cops only pull you over if you exceed 85 mph. My truck [2006 Freightliner] is governed at 65 mph, so those Pete and Kenworth trucks blew me off the road.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:20 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
I was doing a hair below 90 out in W Tx two years ago on I-10 and the troopers left me alone. Of course this was in a car, not a Peterbilt.

The stretch of I-10 between Houston and Beaumont has been safe for me to go a hair below 80.

Between Houston and where the eastmost 80 mph sign stands, beware! If you're doing 73 in a 70, you will get pulled over. Can't even count how many warnings I've received. Seems they just want to talk to you, make sure you don't smell like alcohol/reefer, etc.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:30 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
You've got to just get out there and do it. I-10 in West Texas may seem boring to some, but the gigantic rock cuts, wind farms, mountains, sand dunes, Hill Country, and desert settings are, in my opinion, very picturesque and not to be missed.

Just get in the car and bring your camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas