Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:10 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
I guess the local news just made up all of those stories of raids, prostitution stings, shootings, stabbings, and robberies huh? My parents also used to go down to Elm Avenue in the 60's and 70's, and from what they tell me, things on Elm started getting bad in the mid to late 70s, about the same time La Salle and Old Dallas Highway started to decline. I remember downtown had some life to it until 1981 when the Richland Mall opened. That is what pretty much killed downtown for a long time. Elm Avenue might have rebounded alot quicker had Paul Quinn College not moved to Dallas in 1990. IMHO I think the old Paul Quinn campus should be reopened as a college or some other similar use, but from what I have heard from a reliable source is that the existing buildings are either already in use for something else or are uninhabitable...ie RED TAGGED FOR DEMOLITION! Its going to take ALOT of money to revitalize East Waco and the Elm Avenue corridor, and I honestly don't think thats going to happen for quite some time. If DUMYA would have located his presidential library on I-35 @ MLK, the possiblities would have been endless for that area of town, but as we know he didnt and that areas fate is still uncertain.
Paul Quinn Campus is becoming a school/YMCA. New fire station being developed on Elm Street. Beautification is alreadying beginning to take place around East Waco with new homes. When was the last time you were in Waco????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 11:17 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Paul Quinn Campus is becoming a school/YMCA. New fire station being developed on Elm Street. Beautification is alreadying beginning to take place around East Waco with new homes. When was the last time you were in Waco????

Well its going to take alot more than a new fire station and some government housing to make East Waco better....its going to take a MIRACLE!!!
And what is this about a school and YMCA going in at the old PQC?? Have any links on that, I cant find anything on it. I am actually in Waco TODAY!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Well its going to take alot more than a new fire station and some government housing to make East Waco better....its going to take a MIRACLE!!!
And what is this about a school and YMCA going in at the old PQC?? Have any links on that, I cant find anything on it. I am actually in Waco TODAY!
Why don't you just drive by and look for yourself. The school and YMCA are already open......

Old 10-04-2008, 10:16 AM

I'm glad they are doing something there, but you have to admit, much much more needs to be done. At least its looking up!

Old 10-04-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I'm glad they are doing something there, but you have to admit, much much more needs to be done. At least its looking up!
Much more is being done.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,307 times
I have a few questions about Waco i was wondering about i am a white male married to a woman from india i may be relocating to the area i am wondering what it is like there for mixed married couples with children

Old 11-27-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbuc View Post
I have a few questions about Waco i was wondering about i am a white male married to a woman from india i may be relocating to the area i am wondering what it is like there for mixed married couples with children

You should have no problem at all. Waco is FULL of mixed couples!

Old 12-19-2008, 07:43 PM

5 posts, read 20,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The Paul Quinn campus is now the Doris Miller YMCA and the Rappaport academy but back to the original question back and I mean back in the day Waco was the second biggest city in Texas but now look at it

Old 12-19-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaviercbrock View Post
The Paul Quinn campus is now the Doris Miller YMCA and the Rappaport academy but back to the original question back and I mean back in the day Waco was the second biggest city in Texas but now look at it
It suffered the same fate as Galveston Island.....mother nature

Waco was once stated to be "The Chicago of the South" and Galveston "The New York of the South"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: