Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times

Advertisements

You forgot just how unique Texas actually is though. The only state that comes close is California, IMO. This state, that used to be a nation, has a history like no other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
The ten years of independence constitute a central piece of the Texas mythos, but the reality is also that those years were pretty difficult for the fledgling republic. IOW, the myth is somewhat different from the historical reality. Do remember that Hawaii was an independent kingdom and that Vermont was a separate republic (with a disputed territorial and political status, rather like the Republic of Texas situation; only Vermont was threatened by the State of NY and by the administration of George Washington). Is Texas the most unique, approached only by California? What about the unique culture and heritage of Louisiana? The uniqueness of Hawaii? The uniqueness of Alaska? Runners-up would surely include New York State and Virginia. Unless you're going to say that Alaska isn't unique because the Yukon and Nunavet are similar, or that Hawaii isn't unique because there are other populated volcanic islands out in the Pacific. This doesn't take anything away from Texas' particular unique characteristics, but there are other states with extremely unique histories, cultures and geography that would seem in their own ways to be as exceptional as Texas. And again, Texas isn't the only state to have once had a prolonged period of national independence.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The ten years of independence constitute a central piece of the Texas mythos, but the reality is also that those years were pretty difficult for the fledgling republic. IOW, the myth is somewhat different from the historical reality. Do remember that Hawaii was an independent kingdom and that Vermont was a separate republic (with a disputed territorial and political status, rather like the Republic of Texas situation; only Vermont was threatened by the State of NY and by the administration of George Washington). Is Texas the most unique, approached only by California? What about the unique culture and heritage of Louisiana? The uniqueness of Hawaii? The uniqueness of Alaska? Runners-up would surely include New York State and Virginia. Unless you're going to say that Alaska isn't unique because the Yukon and Nunavet are similar, or that Hawaii isn't unique because there are other populated volcanic islands out in the Pacific. This doesn't take anything away from Texas' particular unique characteristics, but there are other states with extremely unique histories, cultures and geography that would seem in their own ways to be as exceptional as Texas. And again, Texas isn't the only state to have once had a prolonged period of national independence.
Totally agree. Texas is indeed unique, but Louisiana in my opinion is moreso. The fact that they were the only French are of the country with a large number of people, the history of the Cajuns, the Creole/Cajun food, the differences b/w Cajun and Creole, they have parishes instead of counties, etc... In many ways you could say the Southwest culture of Texas, the TexMex food, the BBQ are unique to Texas, but they aren't. BBQ is big in KC, as in NC,SC,GA,TN, etc... Mexican food is prevalant along each border state. Now granted, TexMex is a bit different, you can still get fajitas in AZ and it's pretty much the same as TX.

I thought MA was quite unique, with its revolutionary history, as was PA. Yes, and definitely CA with its gold rush history and the development of SF.

However, TX does have a unique and colorful history.

But remember this:

When Houston was a backwater swamp and Dallas was a couple of cabins on the Great Plains, New Orleans was a thriving metropolis, the Queen of the South, the fifth largest in the US.

In reality, while there was a lot of history in Texas, the cities itself (except for San Antonio) are rather new and there's not much history there. What's the biggest historical site in Dallas? Dealey Plaza where JFK was shot. What's the biggest historical site in Houston? Don't know, nothing is historical in its city center. What about San Antonio? Obviously the Alamo. What about New Orleans? The whole French Quarter, basically a whole section of the city, with parts dating back to 1719. You see what I mean?

Old 01-31-2011, 02:01 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
Yeah, and you actually have to spend some time in southern Louisiana - Acadiana - to realise how different it is to the rest of the country (or even to northern La.). It's not just New Orleans - an incredible city in its own right - but in a way even more so the smaller cities and towns of southern Louisiana.

To me the two most significant places historically in Texas are also among the most iconic, as well as some of the oldest: San Antonio - including but not limited to the Alamo - and Goliad, both dating back to 18th Century Spanish colonial rule. The Mission Trail in San Antonio is still an amazing thing that includes some of the oldest European buildings in North America, certainly in the Southwest. Besides the Alamo, the resting place of its defenders beneath the narthex of San Fernando Cathedral is an extradordinarily touching and poignant place -- a shrine that gets overshadowed by the Alamo itself but which in its own way is equally evocative. Goliad is too often a little remembered fact of Texas history, but a place of greater sacrifice and atrocity than the Alamo, as well as the calamity that preceeded the Battle of the Alamo. There you can see the gravesite of over a hundred Texian military who, having been taken prisoners of war and disarmed, were then murdered by the Mexican field command. The ancient Presido de la Bajia and the lovely little church there - still an active parish - are well worth seeing. It's well to recall that "Goliad" was an anagram for Hidalgo, recalling the Mexican priest whose Grito de Delores energized the Mexican people to throw off the oppressive yoke of Spanish colonialism in the first place. Thus the militarism and dictatorship of Santa Ana was a blasphemy to Mexican history as well as a betrayal of the trust of Anglo-American settlers in the land grant territory comprising Stephen Austin's colony under the Mexican republic.

Last edited by doctorjef; 01-31-2011 at 02:32 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,476 times
My first experience in Texas was at Fort Hood which is pretty much in Killeen, Tx. This was back in the late 90's. I always try to keep an open mind about new places and understand that things are going to be a bit different. I am from Denver, Co and after my time in the military I moved back. After the military, I went into over the road commercial truck driving for a little over a year. It was something I just wanted to try out and experience so I did it. I have traveled all over the country, going into every state and seeing how each state was. Texas is truly different. Now without hating on it, I really don't see what's so appealing about Texas. For me, not only is it way too hot, but people in Texas I have found to be really arogant and prideful. What are they so prideful about? Yeah, they have big cities, but have you been to NYC? Yeah they have football but so do other states like California, Colorado, Pennsylvania and others. As a truck driver, I don't like Texas because people can't drive there. Now you could say that there are other states where people can't drive but only in Texas, where I have been in a double left turn lane, been in the right part of that lane, the light turns green and the driver to my left, instead of turning like they are supposed to, go straight, causing me to have to slam on my breaks. This has happened more than one time and more than one location in Texas. I go to call any business in Texas to find out information, don't really matter what I am asking about, the person I am talking to, don't know a thing. So I ask, seriously here, why do you guys love Texas so much. What's up with the huge Texas pride????

Old 06-18-2011, 12:15 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,587 times
I dont know....I think Texas dies a little year after year......this state is nowhere near how great it was 20 years ago

Old 06-18-2011, 12:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
I dont know....I think Texas dies a little year after year......this state is nowhere near how great it was 20 years ago
There are two very good reasons for that, and I won't state them on this liberal forum. They are easy to guess.

I'd even go so far as to say over 30 years ago, rather than just 20.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:30 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
I think that most folks would agree that that could be said for the entire U.S. and Texas is just a part of the whole. Nothing is exempt from decay.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:38 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Yeah, and you're 20 years older, maybe more by now.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:43 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,310 times
Quote:
I definitely agree. I've seen it go downhill over the past 30 years.

To the OP: Not everybody here thinks it's that great. For those who do, it's probably related to the excessive heat, and the damage it can do to the brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas