Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times

Advertisements

Maybe you should just relax, let go of your resentment that Texans love their state and the mantra "I hate Texas", and perhaps it'll come to you, at least enough that you can enjoy your time here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 07:38 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriahvpool View Post
I ask myself all the time.. what are Texans so proud of? Personally I don't see anything special about Texas.. There are beautiful parts and tourist attractions but you're going to find those in every state. I just think the attitude stinks here and roads and most things were not thought out very well. I seem to mutter "I hate texas" all the time. I can understand that if you were born and raised here this is your home and you are proud of it but I feel there are MANY better places to live in this country. Unfortunately I have a few more years here until the military moves us again. Until then, I will keep trying to find out why this place is so appealing...
I sort of understand what you mean. I am a native Texan, I don't love Texas, but I understand the pride Texans have. I happen to love a state I'm not from, so it is possible.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 19,596 times
I was born in Texas and raised there until I was sixteen. I hadn't been back until my father died. When we were driving to the cemetery from the funeral home behind the hearse, other people driving on the road pulled off the road, took off their hats, and bowed their heads! I was so humbled that people that didn't even know us would be so respectful. I've never seen that anywhere else. Also, my relatives that I hardly knew took me in, hugged me and filled me with so much love I was just overwhelmed. I felt completely at home even though I had been gone for so long.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
I am a native Texan and I like Texas. I suppose you could say I love the area around Fort Davis, especially up around McDonald Observatory. I love parts of of NM, CO and AZ too, and would probably love other places I haven't seen yet.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:21 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,295 times
This is the best thread I've ever read in any city-data forum. The most heart-touching, real, emotional answers from people who have true passion for life. If I didn't miss Texas enough before I read it, well dang it, I sure miss her now! Thanks to everyone who posted from the heart.....

Old 10-01-2008, 01:30 PM

3 posts, read 10,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriahvpool View Post
I ask myself all the time.. what are Texans so proud of? Personally I don't see anything special about Texas.. There are beautiful parts and tourist attractions but you're going to find those in every state. I just think the attitude stinks here and roads and most things were not thought out very well. I seem to mutter "I hate texas" all the time. I can understand that if you were born and raised here this is your home and you are proud of it but I feel there are MANY better places to live in this country. Unfortunately I have a few more years here until the military moves us again. Until then, I will keep trying to find out why this place is so appealing...
Merriahvpool... keep in mind that what you experience as "Texas" in a military town is not a true sampling of how great our state really is. Bear in mind that you are in a location that is inhabited by mostly non-Texans.... get a bunch of people who don't understand Texas pride together and there becomes "group-think" about how much they hate this place. I know, I'm Texas born and raised living in a major military town...everyone I work with is dying to move to a new duty station and are perplexed when I tell them how I wish our profession could allow us to stick around longer. When we move, I'll miss back-road driving on a warm spring/summer evening, Allsup's burrito's, Tex-Mex, and small town fesivals.

Listen to Gary P. Nunn's "What I Like About Texas"..... I think it captures the essence of it all.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:15 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times
I know one thing for sure and that is rural Texas has made me appreciate country living and I shall never live anywhere but rural for the rest of my life. In my opinion, it's the only way to go.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 10-02-2008 at 05:51 AM..

Old 10-02-2008, 09:40 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,377,813 times
OMG. i could have written that post, and as a matter of fact, when i read the post you are replying to, i had already formulated what i was going to say and it just about mirrored yours! great minds think alike!

it's just like me when i was taken away from Texas, to spend 3 years in Ft Stewart GA...i disliked GA very much, couldnt wait to get back to Texas, but i DO understand that i lived in Hinesville. i saw Georgia in a totally different light than had i lived in a non-military town.

angelaleigh..where in Central Texas are ya? i'm in this area too! and i LOVE it...but i want to know where you have an Allsups! i sure miss my Allsups in North Texas!!!!! and by the way, i saw Gary P Nunn in Gatesville last November. i love that song "What I Like About Texas". i also love "Road Trip" (about driving down 281!!!!)

Merriahvpool-where are you in Texas? near what post/base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaleigh1 View Post
Merriahvpool... keep in mind that what you experience as "Texas" in a military town is not a true sampling of how great our state really is. Bear in mind that you are in a location that is inhabited by mostly non-Texans.... get a bunch of people who don't understand Texas pride together and there becomes "group-think" about how much they hate this place. I know, I'm Texas born and raised living in a major military town...everyone I work with is dying to move to a new duty station and are perplexed when I tell them how I wish our profession could allow us to stick around longer. When we move, I'll miss back-road driving on a warm spring/summer evening, Allsup's burrito's, Tex-Mex, and small town fesivals.

Listen to Gary P. Nunn's "What I Like About Texas"..... I think it captures the essence of it all.

Last edited by NOTAM; 10-02-2008 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-04-2008, 09:18 PM

779 posts, read 2,246,508 times
I think that Dallas is so appealing to me is because it is like no other big city in the U.S. Yes, Dallas is flat, but is still has its glamour and amenities as a big city. It is hard to explain but everytime I visit Dallas, I feel that it is where I belong. I feel that it is home. I get a feeling inside of me that I cannot describe. I do not know if it is chills running along my spine, but that is how much I love Dallas. I feel that my posibilities will be endless when I relocate in 2010 and it will be a beautiful start to the second new decade of this new millenium. Future Honda master certified automotive technician, living in Dallas, doing work, and enjoying the Texas life...because it's my dream come true.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 9,135 times
Thanks for sharing all your posts. I was born and raised in Canada and have lived in Washington State for the past 10 years. I now live in the seattle area and love the natural beauty, going for various hikes through a lush forest within blocks of my apartment. However, it is so gloomy, you can't enjoy it for most of the year. And people are not all that friendly or outgoing either. Growing up in Canada I was a lot friendlier of a person and everyone at my school was friendlier. When I moved to WA, people were rude and cold. I eventually met some nice people, but the overall tone made me really miss home. But I never wanted to go back because I was sick of snow. I'm moving to Texas for my husbands job next month and it's a HUGE change. Neither of us have been there before so it's exciting to read all these posts about Texas. I hope it feels that way for me too. My married last name is Crockett....which goes back to Davey Crockett's family...so maybe that will help us fit in :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas