Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 12:35 PM

412 posts, read 1,751,489 times

Advertisements

I'm asking because it seems like almost every Texan things that Texas is the end all and be all of the world. I even know some people who have traveled the world and moved many places in the United States but have always at some point moved back to Texas.
For instance my uncle moved from where he was raised and went to collage Waco, Texas to Los Angeles, Reno (he even made a movie called Murder Rap when he was out in LA) and several other western cities. But each move he was dying to go back to Waco. I don't understand this because in my opinion, there are many cities in the western United States that are much more interesting and wonderful to live in than Waco. What is it that makes native Texans want to move back so badly, I am a native Texan myself and I honestly liked living other places better than here and I did not want to move back, but I did for family reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 12:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
For some of us, it's in our bones and in our blood. We may travel the world, we may love other places (me, I'm dying to go back and spend some time in Scotland, among other places), but Texas is our home. It's not something we do, it's something that just is. Sort of like being in love. Don't know if that's something that can really be explained in words.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:45 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
The reason is similar to why battered wives stay with their husbands. "Because I know him."

Seriously though, family is usually #1, #2 you can get a lot of personal space for little money, and #3 jobs are plentiful. Those are the biggest reasons I'm here. Though if it weren't for #1, I probably wouldn't be here. You're right that there are a lot more interesting places to the west, but you have to give up all the reasons I listed and then the comfort level goes down. Not all Texans have a hard-on for their state. (This particular forum is for the small towns, which hold about 30% of the state's population so please don't be so quick to judge.) There are a lot of problems here no doubt, but I personally believe the positives outweigh the negatives.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:09 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,314 times
Big skies, open roads, historical ties, property, jobs, more people depending on themselves than those depending on government. 'Can do' attitudes (not meant to be the current 'Yes we can' mantra).

Don't mess with Texas
Kinky Friedman
Austin City Limits
Armadillos
Rock bottom rivers
More heat, less cold
Little league baseball without having to wear longJohns
I'm sure there's more...

If I couldn't live in Texas then I'd want to live in NYC or Paris. But that ain't gonna happen.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:30 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times
This is a GREAT thread idea, Jaipur. And? I think you answered your own question. Blood called you home. And that is an extremely noble calling, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
I'm asking because it seems like almost every Texan things that Texas is the end all and be all of the world. I even know some people who have traveled the world and moved many places in the United I am a native Texan myself and I honestly liked living other places better than here and I did not want to move back, but I did for family reasons.
This ties into what Texas Horse Lady says so well:

Quote:
For some of us, it's in our bones and in our blood. We may travel the world, we may love other places (me, I'm dying to go back and spend some time in Scotland, among other places), but Texas is our home. It's not something we do, it's something that just is. Sort of like being in love. Don't know if that's something that can really be explained in words.
So very well said, THL.

Such a call of blood and soil and roots can never be put into concrete words so as to be translatable to those who don't speak the same language.

That is to say, to those of us who share in it? Hell, no words would be necessary. To those who don't? None will ever make them understand...

We all know who we are. It is simply a natural poetry of feeling that exists very deep in the heart...of Texas!

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-28-2008 at 01:46 PM..

Old 09-28-2008, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,939 times
I have lived in 6 states other than Texas. Didnt move away from Texas until I was 21.Then moved back and had to move again Texas is my home and will always be. I live in Naples Fl right now and will be moving home soon The only answer for this I can come up with is love and happiness That is what Texas has always given me I have seen more happy and friendly people in Texas than in any other state I have lived in

Old 09-28-2008, 02:15 PM

378 posts, read 1,441,941 times
why not?

Old 09-28-2008, 04:50 PM

550 posts, read 1,549,763 times
Thumbs up Why?

Why did Oliver Loving make Charles Goodnight promise to take his body back to Texas for burial after being attacked by Indians on the cattle trail in New Mexico? And why did Goodnight keep that promise?
TEXAS-- She gets in your heart and soul. And for some of us she's born there.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:54 PM

779 posts, read 2,246,508 times
Man oh man, as someone who is from Oklahoma, I feel like I was Texas made and Texas raised, but I am not. I love Texas because it is big, the job market in incredible, nice roads, business everywhere, you can be who you want to be, do anything you want to do, and I do know, I just feel more free in Texas and Dallas (aww boy), I feel like Dallas was made for me. I cannot think of anything negative to say about Dallas (especially north Dallas where you have Addison, Carrollton, Richardson, Plano, Frisco, Allen, etc. You know how like you get chills on your spine when your favorite song is on or something? I get that same feeling everytime I am in Dallas, and it feels really good.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:19 PM

670 posts, read 2,998,384 times
For me it isn't so much about the terrain, but the people. I have lived in 6 states other than Texas. Generally Texans are more friendly (although Louisianians* are too) than the other states and not negative people. Everywhere else I lived (CA, KS, MI, LA, GA, and FL) people are generally not friendly to fake friendly and do nothing but complain, complain, complain about EVERYTHING..not DO anything except for complain.

*Now I dunno if people in Louisiana are friendly to everyone or not, my family goes back there for longer than the state has been part of this country so maybe it's because of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas