Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,618 times

Advertisements

What area should we move to? My husband is possibly moving us to the Beaumont area. We would be moving from Florida asap. we have a 1 year old and a 3 year old and would be staying for a minimum of 5 years. Schools are very important!! Also I am a bit more of a city girl, meaning I'm not much into the country living. I would like to live in a newer, clean, low crime, livlier town. Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 07:23 PM

869 posts, read 2,956,105 times
Check out Kathy Lane in 77713. I've got peeps that live on that street, and they love it.

Unfortunately, they have no children, so we can't speak to the schools.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:34 PM

4 posts, read 14,014 times
Default moving to beaumont in November

My wife and I are moving to Beaumont in November from the Dallas area and are finding it hard to find a good rental house. Is this because of all of the people that evacuated from Hurricane Ike or is it always that way? Any suggestions on where to look or who to talk to (paper, Realtors, etc)?

Also what are the good surrounding areas of Beaumont?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:35 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,716,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclee View Post
My wife and I are moving to Beaumont in November from the Dallas area and are finding it hard to find a good rental house. Is this because of all of the people that evacuated from Hurricane Ike or is it always that way?

It's like this because of the massive construction projects that are taking place in the area as we speak. Companies are paying many folks extremely well to endure this place. The landlords are very aware of the situation; essentially the wolves have been let into the hen house. I think you're better off buying a little house somewhere like Groves (or the other white-flight towns here), and then pricing it to quickly sell when you're ready to leave. You may lose money, but over time it may be less net cash out of pocket overall versus renting. In what are considered decent areas, I was surprised to find a lot of homes are only 50-60% of the price per square foot you'd pay in Dallas or Houston. Of course there are underlying reasons for this as well....

When you get here, it'll also be hard to find a hotel room unless you're doing it through your company. Lots of companies have booked up blocks & blocks of hotel rooms for the next 5-6 months, within a 30 mile radius.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Prob;em is even houses for sale are moving fast but thyen a rent or lease house has always been hardf to find in the area for years. Even houisng has gone up 40% since 2005.A new house is slightly higher or near the same as in central Texas now. You might find a older home in lesss decirable neighborhoods fo less tho or a fixer-uooer. Expect to be getting wporse for the next few years then stabize for the next ten years unoless as is happening more projects are announced.Ifact houisng is so short right now that the projects have remote parking site thru out the area to pickup workers with their own bus system and take them to the job siter. I talked to a guy that drivers the new buses and he daid evenually they will be covering a large area of SE Texas with transportation becuase of the number of workers.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 14,014 times
I did some research today and found brand new houses in Lumberton for around $100,000. How is this area and could there be something wrong with these homes?

Old 10-09-2008, 11:12 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,716,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclee View Post
I did some research today and found brand new houses in Lumberton for around $100,000. How is this area and could there be something wrong with these homes?

It's all about location, location, location.

Have you ever actually been down here to explore the glorious & beautiful Golden Triangle???

Old 10-09-2008, 02:51 PM

50 posts, read 243,250 times
Try this website from a local realtor for some background on the local real estate market: SE Texas Real Estate Talk

Old 10-11-2008, 08:20 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,090,385 times
Try, West Houston Yep, the GOLDEN Triangle

Old 10-13-2008, 05:29 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,638,626 times
Another stellar post by tstone on the Golden Triangle.

His hate for the area is well documented on these boards.

Mark, your post was quite uplifting also.

Floridashop ... Beaumont is an industrial town as is the whole area. I'd stay out in what is known as the "West End". Off Major Drive and Dowlen Rd. area. Get a map and call the realtor. Be aware, though, the area is suffering as parts of the area were inundated by Ike's storm surge. Specifically Bridge City in south Orange County was pretty much flooded with 8' of storm surge. This on the heels of a direct hit in '05 by Rita. Lots of industrial expansion (I've heard fron $3 to $8 billion thrown around) with lots of out of towners moving in ... thus the housing crunch!

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas