Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:54 PM

3 posts, read 12,540 times

Advertisements

We just found out that my husband is being transferred to Beaumont Texas. I am a little nervous because I have never even been to the state of Texas before. I currently live near Denver CO and have most of my life. Just looking for some ideas on how Beaumont is and the whole Hurricane thing is. I have never been in or near a hurricane and I think that scares me most about this move. Also I have seen some pretty negative things about Beaumont and wanted to know some postive things about this area. Any information is apprechiated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 08:22 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,562,196 times
The Beaumont area almost stands apart from the rest of Texas. It's like the Louisiana of Texas. Some locals I've met here align with SW Louisiana the most and look at the Houston/Corpus/San Antonio mega-region as ''another world.'' The Beaumont area is what I consider the southwestern-most extension of the Deep South. In several ways, this area is easily a couple decades behind Houston. In other ways it's a bit more liberal. For single guys with loose morals, I'd say it's pretty good. But at least if you want to be in a huge city for the weekends, it's only 1.5 hours away (average, +/- 30 mins depending on which side). I don't think you'll have anything to worry about - most people are friendly and there are folks from all over the country here.

As for hurricane Ike, I'm pretty sure Beaumont stayed high & dry. Other places closer to the water like Bridge City and Sabine Pass didn't fare well at all, but that's what happens when you live near marshes & sloughs at near-sea level. Every place on Earth has some sort of natural disaster potential you have to prepare for.

If you're moving to the area from the outside, you're probably here to jump on the gravy train. The work over the next 2 years is the only reason I'm here. After looking around, I decided to just keep my home in Houston and drive the 180 mile round trip M-F, if that means anything.

Last edited by tstone; 10-03-2008 at 08:59 AM..

Old 10-03-2008, 08:28 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,113,364 times
Beaumont is not a disaster. There is a mix of good and bad in Beaumont. "Beaumont" could also mean anywhere in the local area, called the "Triangle", which has numerous bedroom communities that differ greatly in culture, safety, education, etc. Many people who work in Bmt. live around Beaumont. Here is my take on things, as a life long area resident:

Hurricaines: Bad luck recently, BUT- we could easlily NOT have one for a very long time. After many, many years of nothing, we just had three. No way to predict. So, I wouldn't count on another one anytime soon, but of course, its entirely possible, too.

Education: Quite frankly, Beaumonts public schools are a mess. There are many great school districts nearby, though.

Crime: As you might imagine, depends on the neighborhood. Just be careful where you move, and you will be fine.

Positives: No recession/depression here. Economy is great. Housing is an increadible bargain, jobs are available.

If you have specific interests or questions, will try to answer. Welcome to the area.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:41 AM

652 posts, read 2,657,619 times
I just moved to the Beaumont area 1 yr ago, from the virginia beach area. The 2 areas are so different sometimes I feel like i'm in a different country! LOL
anyway if you have any specific questions (you didnt tell us anything about yourself) I will answer to the best of my ability with a "newcomers point of view".
I have kids and chose to live in lumberton. I am 10 min away from the mall and all the main places in beaumont. to me I get the best of both worlds. If you have kids and they will go to public school beaumont is the worst place to live. IMHO If I did not have kids I would have moved to the west end of Beaumont. Great place, people, neighborhoods. also a little more of the same feel I had in Vabeach.
I would highly suggest coming out and getting a feel of the area before purchasing a house if that is your plan.
the close surrounding areas include Nederland, Port Neches, Port Arthur, Lumberton, silbee. I think I got them all????

Old 10-03-2008, 02:36 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,113,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post
Ithe close surrounding areas include Nederland, Port Neches, Port Arthur, Lumberton, silbee. I think I got them all????

Hamshire-Fannett, Vidor, Little Cypress-Mauriceville, Groves, Sour Lake, are nearby, too.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:26 AM

3 posts, read 12,540 times
Thank you everyone for the information. My husband will be taking over a restaurant in Beaumont. I believe it is on the west side of I-10. I currently work as an assistant buyer for an online handbag company. I am not sure what kind of work will be available for me but I am sure I will find something. We currently do not have any kids so I won't have to worry about the school system yet that that is good to know. I don't have any specific questions yet since it is all so new to me but as soon as I do I now know where to come to get some answers. I am excited to come down and explore all of this area.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:02 AM

336 posts, read 695,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaum55 View Post
Thank you everyone for the information. My husband will be taking over a restaurant in Beaumont. I believe it is on the west side of I-10. I currently work as an assistant buyer for an online handbag company. I am not sure what kind of work will be available for me but I am sure I will find something. We currently do not have any kids so I won't have to worry about the school system yet that that is good to know. I don't have any specific questions yet since it is all so new to me but as soon as I do I now know where to come to get some answers. I am excited to come down and explore all of this area.
Okay people...why didn't you tell her about the heat and humidity and
the monster mosquitos....and if she has pets...the fleas??? It's funny
that someone is posting about a move from Co to Tx...because I, on
the other hand...am looking to move from Tx to Co....to escape the
aforementioned things....but mainly for the hurricanes too...I know
that Rita did a number on Beaumont...and Ike hit the area I live
pretty darn hard....tired of playing Russian roulette with my family
and home....not saying Colorado will be the answer...but it's worth
a try...and if I come back to Texas...it won't be near the coast.....
But love my Texans...so y'all stay safe....

Old 10-04-2008, 06:49 AM

50 posts, read 242,253 times
I have lived in both the Beaumont area and the Denver area and the differences are shocking. Beaumont is hot and humid most of the time with a lot more rain. You'll keep waiting for the cold winter that will never come. In Denver winter can hit almost anytime of year. I experienced snow in every month except for July and August. You can probably leave 90% of your winter clothes behind because they won't be needed in Beaumont. The air is cool, light and fresh in Denver and almost the opposite in Beaumont.

The landscape around Denver is pretty drab in the winter time. Everything's brown and after big snow storms they'll be piles of brown snow and ice for months. Driving can be a pain between the traffic and the ice and snow. In Beaumont the commute will be a breeze and you'll have only the rain to worry about. There's lots of trees and it stays mostly green all year long. If you like water you go to the many nearby lakes year round.

There will be some culture shock but if you find the right area to live then you should be ok.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:57 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,579,993 times
Terri, there are fleas in Colorado. You have to be careful to keep them off your pets because they tend to carry plague because of the prairie dogs. I don't know if this is true of all areas of the State, but the area I lived in had lots of prairie dogs and there were always warnings. I second centexguy on the snow and brownness in the winter. Spring was my least favorite season living there because of all the slush. During winter, practice snow and ice driving in a mall or other large parking lot. It came in handy for me one night after I hit a patch of black ice in front of our apartment building and then once after we moved into our house . It's a beautiful state though, lots of cool things to see and do.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:24 AM

652 posts, read 2,657,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri722 View Post
Okay people...why didn't you tell her about the heat and humidity and
the monster mosquitos....and if she has pets...the fleas??? It's funny
that someone is posting about a move from Co to Tx...because I, on
the other hand...am looking to move from Tx to Co....to escape the
aforementioned things....but mainly for the hurricanes too...I know
that Rita did a number on Beaumont...and Ike hit the area I live
pretty darn hard....tired of playing Russian roulette with my family
and home....not saying Colorado will be the answer...but it's worth
a try...and if I come back to Texas...it won't be near the coast.....
But love my Texans...so y'all stay safe....
I guess I didnt think about this part as it was the same during the spring and summer in VABeach. that was no culture shock to me. Although the humidity stays a lot longer here. As for fleas, tick, mosquitos. I have heard there is a big problem but only notice it when I am outside the city limits of Lumberton in the evening. I have to give Lumberton big Kudos for that. They spray all the time. I have kept my dog on advantix because of the fleas at our old house. 1 month behind and she still doesnt have fleas. although I dont normally play around with that. she will have her med in another couple of days.
we just adopted a stray kitty. right after the hurricane. I dont know how long she has been outside, but no fleas. I just got her a flea collar.
As for the hurricane issue, that is one reason we chose Lumberton. a little further north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas